PDA

View Full Version : Today I learned something new about oil....

Chuck Wintle
09-27-2013, 5:38 PM
A machine I use at work was running low on oil. The sight glass no longer showed any level, normally halfway is good. A quick email to the company and they told me I needed oil that was "polished" to use in the machine. This was a new one for me as I had never heard of "polished oil" before. Basically they filter the oil to a very fine tolerance, all new to me!

Stephen Cherry
09-27-2013, 8:55 PM
That's interesting, I had never heard of that before. Can you say what type of machine it was.

Jim Matthews
09-28-2013, 6:44 AM
I wonder if polished oil comes out of a standard supply vat,
and is then poured into a (much) smaller container where it receives a company label.

That would be a polished presentation...

The manual should refer to the lubrication specs.
If it's a gear bath, using Hypoid cut gears it might require "EP" extreme pressure oils
like MIL-L-2105B/C/D.

Regular engine oil in such a gearbox won't maintain a film under shear forces.

If they're trying to buy the "Propietary" oil they rebrand, something stinks.

Chuck Wintle
09-28-2013, 6:50 AM
Polished oil for the application I need is oil that is micro filtered to to conform to the ISO 4406 rating system 3 numbers for 3 sizes of particulate per milliliter. I had never heard of this before and neither had any of my coworkers. And O of course this oil costs a lot more.

Dave Sheldrake
09-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Similar to high speed,high performance turbo's, particulates per mm makes all the difference to them if you don't want ripped spindles and blown turbo's.

cheers

Dave

Scott Shepherd
09-28-2013, 6:11 PM
Polished oil has been around for years. It's sold in the hardware stores next to the aluminum magnets, the sky hooks, and the slack for rope. All things apprentices are sent to get at one point of their apprenticeships :)

George Bokros
09-28-2013, 6:21 PM
Polished oil has been around for years. It's sold in the hardware stores next to the aluminum magnets, the sky hooks, and the slack for rope. All things apprentices are sent to get at one point of their apprenticeships :)

Don't forget the shelf stretcher!

Dave Sheldrake
09-28-2013, 7:12 PM
Long Weights, Glass Hammers, Left Handed Screwdrivers,Spotted Paint....

Strangely enough Aluminium is magnetic but not in the usual sense :) drop a good sized NdFeB magnet onto a sheet of ally, the eddy currents cause quite an unusual effect (the same thing is used on non contact brakes)

cheers

Dave

Jerome Stanek
09-29-2013, 8:25 AM
Actually there is spotted paint called speckle paint or splatter paint.

Robert Maloney
09-29-2013, 9:10 AM
Don't forget " a bucket of steam, and a metric adjustable wrench"

Robert Maloney
09-29-2013, 9:11 AM
Don't forget " A bucket of steam, and a metric adjustable wrench"

Keith Westfall
09-29-2013, 11:20 AM
What about a left handed crescent wrench?