PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1495 Questions

Randy Rizzo
09-27-2013, 3:16 PM
I've been considering the Grizzly G1495. Anyone have any comment or experience with this machine? Suggest other options within above criteria?

Prashun Patel
09-27-2013, 3:38 PM
Just beware that you can easily spend several hundred dollars on accessories.

Rich Harkrader
09-27-2013, 7:53 PM
That's an important question. Is your 1500 dollar budget for lathe, tools and accessories or just lathe? I have 2 lathes that cost me around 1200. I have more than that amount spent on chucks, faceplates, lathe chisels and other accessories.

Rich;)

Randy Rizzo
09-27-2013, 9:11 PM
That's an important question. Is your 1500 dollar budget for lathe, tools and accessories or just lathe? I have 2 lathes that cost me around 1200. I have more than that amount spent on chucks, faceplates, lathe chisels and other accessories.

Rich;)
Just the lathe, I figured chucks, gouges, chisels etc were going to set me back another $5-600. I'm trying to find out if anyone has experience with this particular model.

Jim Barstow
09-27-2013, 10:04 PM
My wife got me that identical lathe about 15 years ago under a different brand name. It has served me well for all that time. (I went through a period where my woodworking was nothing but woodturning.) I now use it only occasionally. It is stable enough that I never felt the need to bolt it to the floor.

The most useful accessory was a heavy duty face shield attached to a hard hat with integrated power respirator. (Also from my wife.) When I was a kid, I had a cheap craftsman lathe and a piece exploded while I was turning it and I ended up with a minor scar from the mishap. Whenever I turn, I now use the hardhat/faceshield and leather gloves. Dust collection during sanding isn't very efficient so the powered respirator is useful.

david brum
09-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Randy, you might want to post your question over on the turning forum. I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers and opinions about the best deals. If I recall correctly, Grizzly lathes and that one in particular are not considered one of Grizzly's strongest offerings if you get my drift. I believe that one has an uncommon 1 x 12 thread on the main spindle. That's a non starter right there, since it can't use most common chucks and face plates.

Jet products are generally well liked. You might look at their electronic variable speed midi lathe. (http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2085551/42618/JET-1221VS-LATHE.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CKGfh5WB7bkCFZFcQgo) It's right in your budget range and benefits from newer engineering.

David C. Roseman
09-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm looking to buy a lathe...[snip] I've been considering the Grizzly G1495. Anyone have any comment or experience with this machine? Suggest other options within above criteria?

Randy, this question on that specific model has come up on SMC a couple of times, with a fair amount of discussion, so suggest you do a search for "Grizzly G1495." It was one of the first lathes Grizzly offered, and they are still selling it virtually unchanged. So I guess folks are still buying it. I've had one since the 80's. But it uses a Reeves drive variable speed pulley system, which is noisy and can be temperamental. The sheet-metal cabinetry adds to the noise. The maximum usable swing is 14" (forget the 17" swing over the gap for anything other than a very thin platter turned using a faceplate and no chuck). The slowest speed is about 550 rpm, although it can be modified to slow that down a bit more. Lathe technology has come a long way since then. If your price range for just the lathe is $1000 to $1500, and if you like Grizzly equipment, I think you'd be much happier with the G0632 within the Grizzly line. I also have Grizzly's newest, the G0733, which is $200 outside your price criteria, but a lot more lathe, IMO.

David

Jim Barstow
09-27-2013, 10:39 PM
I use a nova chuck and the threads were never an issue. It it is quiet enough that I don't use hearing protection if I'm not using the face shield. The variable speed has worked fine for me for 15 years.

Randy Rizzo
09-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Randy, this question on that specific model has come up on SMC a couple of times, with a fair amount of discussion, so suggest you do a search for "Grizzly G1495." It was one of the first lathes Grizzly offered, and they are still selling it virtually unchanged. So I guess folks are still buying it. I've had one since the 80's. But it uses a Reeves drive variable speed pulley system, which is noisy and can be temperamental. The sheet-metal cabinetry adds to the noise. The maximum usable swing is 14" (forget the 17" swing over the gap for anything other than a very thin platter turned using a faceplate and no chuck). The slowest speed is about 550 rpm, although it can be modified to slow that down a bit more. Lathe technology has come a long way since then. If your price range for just the lathe is $1000 to $1500, and if you like Grizzly equipment, I think you'd be much happier with the G0632 within the Grizzly line. I also have Grizzly's newest, the G0733, which is $200 outside your price criteria, but a lot more lathe, IMO.

David
Thanks, David. Shoulda done the search first! I think I'll pass on the 1495 based on comments. Nova 1624 reconditioned looks interesting.

eugene thomas
09-28-2013, 11:25 AM
I have lot of grizzly tools so not a hater here but that lathe g1495 is piece of crap. Was good day when left my shop.

Roger Chandler
09-28-2013, 12:35 PM
You would be much better served if you got the G0632...........it is a clone of the Jet 1642 evs, and has much better features. The VFD and the pivoting/sliding headstock is nice as well......much more versatile in different setups and out board turning. The 1495 is a bit fast on slow speed for turning bowls etc, and you will have to balance your wood blanks much more carefully, but with a lot of care it can be done.

The G0632 is only $500 more than the G1495, but if you can possibly spare the extra, then you will never regret it, but likely will always wish you had spent the extra $500.

The G0632 is a workhorse and it has a proven track record as it has been around a good while and a number of turners have it and very few problems reported that I have seen. The spindle is also 1.25 x 8 which is good for most accessories as well. Good luck!

Rich Harkrader
09-28-2013, 2:05 PM
That 1000-1500 price point is not at all well served by lathe manufacturers if you're looking for a full size lathe. There's the Nova 1624-44 and the Grizzly G0632 (with a coupon only) and not much else. Have you looked at a used lathe in your area? Check local turning clubs and see if perhaps someone has one for sale.

Rich;)

Thom Sturgill
09-28-2013, 3:42 PM
Woodcraft has the Nova DVR currently on sale - a bit over your $1500, but well thought of. I turn on the Jet 1642, so the grizzly clone would feel right at home. I would also look at the Jet 1221, possibly with a bed extension if you need the length. Only a 12" throw, but I've seen a lot of good work done on midis.

Michael Nasholm
10-06-2013, 9:48 PM
I have the GO462 which is the next model down from the 1495. I have had lots of problems with the lathe toolrest handles and the toolrest body itself constantly stripping out. Grizzly has been good about sending me new parts under warranty. Had mine about a year and a half. If i had it do over again i would go with the Powermatic 3520. Of the Powermatic is 3999.99 versus the 445 i paid for the GO 462

Rich Harkrader
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Yeah I have the G0462 also, and have had issues with the toolrest. I just bought the Nova DVR XP toolrest from Nova and put that on my Grizzly. All it took was swapping out the plate on the bottom and it works great. Think it cost around $150 shipped.