PDA

View Full Version : Ice Maker Problem

BOB OLINGER
09-27-2013, 12:43 PM
The ice maker on our side-by-side Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer stopped working the same time I changed the filter. I turned off the freezer, heated it up, restarted it but still doesn't work. I poured water in it thinking the inlet water line may be the problem; the water freezes to ice, but it won't kick out the ice and recycle. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2013, 1:09 PM
Bob,

Can you provide a model number?

Dan Hintz
09-27-2013, 1:23 PM
Is the timer still working?

Thomas Hotchkin
09-27-2013, 1:24 PM
Bob
Some years ago, I had the same problem. If IIRC there is a small spring that controls ice recycle system. Look closely you may see that it has moved out of position. Tom

BOB OLINGER
09-27-2013, 2:32 PM
Bob
Some years ago, I had the same problem. If IIRC there is a small spring that controls ice recycle system. Look closely you may see that it has moved out of position. Tom

Do I need to take the ice maker out to check on this? What's the IIRC?

BOB OLINGER
09-27-2013, 2:33 PM
Is the timer still working?

Dan, I don't know. Where is the timer likely located?

BOB OLINGER
09-27-2013, 2:34 PM
Bob,

Ken, I'm at work. If the problem continues, I'll get it when I get home.

Mike Henderson
09-27-2013, 2:37 PM
Do I need to take the ice maker out to check on this? What's the IIRC?

IIRC = If I recall correctly

Mike

Lee Schierer
09-27-2013, 7:49 PM
Just a dumb thought or two, did you remember to turn the water back on when you changed the filter or if you had to pull out the unit to get to the filter, did you crimp the hose when you pushed it back in place?

Rick Moyer
09-28-2013, 9:37 AM
The ice maker on our side-by-side Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer stopped working the same time I changed the filter. I turned off the freezer, heated it up, restarted it but still doesn't work. I poured water in it thinking the inlet water line may be the problem; the water freezes to ice, but it won't kick out the ice and recycle. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Put the old filter back in and see if it works. Possible you got a bad new filter. Had it happen one time to my truck (diesel), new fuel filter was no good.

John C Lawson
09-28-2013, 11:50 PM
I have a similar problem. I believe I know the cause but the parts are too rich for my blood. Is the sensor that tells the ice-maker that the door is open function correctly? When you open the freezer door, an interlock switch is opened, and a red light flashes indicating the door is open and not to dispense ice. Push in the switch and see if the light stops blinking. Mine keeps blinking. I've gone back to the old ice cube trays, which I just empty into the dispenser every few days.

BOB OLINGER
09-29-2013, 7:49 AM
I have a similar problem. I believe I know the cause but the parts are too rich for my blood. Is the sensor that tells the ice-maker that the door is open function correctly? When you open the freezer door, an interlock switch is opened, and a red light flashes indicating the door is open and not to dispense ice. Push in the switch and see if the light stops blinking. Mine keeps blinking. I've gone back to the old ice cube trays, which I just empty into the dispenser every few days.

Hi John, looks like my red sensor is working OK.

BOB OLINGER
09-29-2013, 7:52 AM
Put the old filter back in and see if it works. Possible you got a bad new filter. Had it happen one time to my truck (diesel), new fuel filter was no good.

Rick, thanks but I'm getting water out the water dispensor but no water into the ice maker.

BOB OLINGER
09-29-2013, 7:56 AM
Bob,

Model no. is GS5SHAXNL00. I pulled the ice maker yesterday, cleared out some ice that had formed (mostly because I manually poured water into it to see if it would cycle, reinstalled. As of this morning, it did not refill with water (the water dispensor is working), so sounds like it's not instructing it to fill, then not instructing it to empty.