PDA

View Full Version : Can this aluminum be bent back?

Wade Lippman
09-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Somehow or other I bent part of the rudder on my kayak. It is made out of heavy aluminum, and I expect if I try to bend it back it will just break. It prevents the rudder from turning as much as it should, which for 90% of use won't matter; so I would rather live with it the way it is than risk breaking it. However, maybe there is a way to fix it.
It is welded to the piece next to it, so it can't really be replaced.

Myk Rian
09-27-2013, 11:21 AM
It's worth a try, but don't rely on it in a life or death situation. Aluminum doesn't like to be bent back into shape.

Justin Ludwig
09-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Rosebud torch tip and a pair of vice grips to bend it. Use a fire blanket or wet some fire retardant material and use as a shield for parts near it that are combustible.

Trevor Howard
09-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Can you remove it and lay it on a flat surface and tap it straight with a hammer. That's what I would try.

Wade Lippman
09-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Rosebud torch tip and a pair of vice grips to bend it. Use a fire blanket or wet some fire retardant material and use as a shield for parts near it that are combustible.

I googled rosebud torch tip and found it referred to an oxy-acetylene torch, that I don't have access to. Would a MAPP torch be adequate?

I can take it all apart to get anything combustible out of the way.

The mfg has a complete rudder kit for $300, which is hard to justify on a kayak worth maybe $500. I have emailed them to see if the one component I need is available.

Dave Richards
09-27-2013, 1:00 PM
I'd try bending the existing one straight but expect it is already fractured and might break. Gently heating it with a torch might help. If all that fails, make a new one out of a piece of 1/2" BB ply using the good half as a pattern. Round the edges nicely and put spar varnish on it It'll be plenty strong and look nicer than the aluminum one.

Bruce Page
09-27-2013, 1:34 PM
There's a good chance that it is already fractured and will fracture further if you try to straighten it. Heating it will help but will also cause it to loose it's temper - that may not be a big deal if it's not under a lot of stress. If you must straighten it, definitely use heat.

David Helm
09-27-2013, 2:02 PM
Learn to control your kayak without the rudder. There is no replacement for good paddling skills. Rudders weren't around when kayaks were invented.

Wade Lippman
09-27-2013, 2:33 PM
Learn to control your kayak without the rudder. There is no replacement for good paddling skills. Rudders weren't around when kayaks were invented.

If you can hold a straight line in 2' waves without a rudder you are a better man than I am.

Loss of temper won't make much difference; it doesn't have much load on it. I just don't think I can avoid fracturing it.

I hadn't thought of replacing it. It is welded, but I bet they will break easily enough. I have some goncalo alves that I bet is plenty strong. No glue will substitute for the welds, but I think they might not be essential; and maybe I can change the design a bit to allow bolting the new piece on.

Justin Ludwig
09-27-2013, 8:57 PM
A hand held propane torch will get it hot enough. Heat and bend or tap. If you can remove it and put it in a vice to do the bending or tapping, all the better. There's a ton of info out there on annealing and tempering.

Ted Calver
09-27-2013, 8:59 PM
Call local welding shops to see if they can weld it for you...should be easy enough.

Jim Matthews
09-28-2013, 6:37 AM
I have some goncalo alves that I bet is plenty strong. No glue will substitute for the welds, but I think they might not be essential; and maybe I can change the design a bit to allow bolting the new piece on.

+1 on using the original part as a template and making a couple spares.
"One to show, and one to go."

You'll need to pack the proper wrench when you go out, if it fails - so you can replace it.

This sort of thing just cries out for marine plywood - is there a Guideboat builder anywhere nearby?
(They generate lots of scrap.)

James Conrad
09-28-2013, 9:32 AM
What brand and model kayak?

Wade Lippman
09-28-2013, 10:06 AM
What brand and model kayak?

Necky Zoar Sport. A modest little craft...

Jamie Buxton
09-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Can you leave the bent part in place, and bolt to it something new that does the function you need? That is, you don't re-bend the aluminum, and you use it as a foundation for the functional replacement.

James Conrad
09-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Looks like the exact same one from an Ocean Kayak brand. If you strike out with the dealer, have a look at Ocean. But I don't see why the wouldn't sell you just the part needed.

Jason Roehl
09-29-2013, 8:44 AM
Keep in mind that if you heat it, aluminum has a relatively low melting point. You can get there pretty quickly with a MAPP torch. And, it doesn't glow like steel, so there's no warning when you're close...

Jim Creech
09-30-2013, 11:59 AM
If all else fails, box it up and send it to me. I can repair it. No cost except shipping.

Wade Lippman
09-30-2013, 1:10 PM
If all else fails, box it up and send it to me. I can repair it. No cost except shipping.

I appreciate that. Can you repair it if I try to bend it and it breaks, or just now?

Necky will sell me just the one component for $90.

So I guess I can try to straighten it out.
If it breaks I can:
1) Make a replacement
2) Buy a new one
3) Send it to Jim
4) Get it welded locally
5) Learn to kayak without a rudder.

I am going to use it as it is until there is ice on the lake. Then being without it for a few weeks won't be a big problem. Last year I was able to kayak about twice a week all year, but usually the lake freezes or so they tell me.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Jim Creech
09-30-2013, 1:48 PM
I can fix it either way as can a local welding shop. The only issue would be with shipping cost to me or cost for a local guy's T&M.