PDA

View Full Version : Removing the table on a Powermatic 81 bandsaw

george newbury
09-27-2013, 6:26 AM
In preparation for my equipment move to Mississippi I'm trying to figure out the best way to move my free bandsaw (gloat) in the back of my F350 dually.

I'm thinking of laying it down on it's spine with appropriate lateral support.

It seems many people here "remove the table". Do you remove the table and Trunion? How difficult is removing it w/ 1 person? Two people?? How many bolts? Any springs or washers that pop out?
Any other advice on moving it?
thanks

Ethan Melad
09-27-2013, 8:02 AM
removing the table is not that hard, if i remember correctly. i think there are 4 bolts connecting the top to the trunnions - but i recall that at least 2 are a real pain as there's not much room to get in and access the bolt. thinking it would be easier than pulling the top, at one point i accidentally removed the trunnions from the base and slightly messed up the gear alignment, so i'd recommend you avoid doing that. the top is heavy for sure, but you should be ok with 2 people.

not sure it was necessarily the "best" way, but i transported mine on its side, motor side up.

also, sounds like you got a good deal...

george newbury
11-04-2013, 9:46 PM
Well I took the table off easily, just tilted the table to get at the 2 "inside" bolts.
I ended up laying it across my 78" wide trailer on it's side. I had help and a 50HP tractor to load it with. To unload it I used a pallet jack and chain hoist. Definitely a 1 man job - slowly. It's now sitting in my shop awaiting reassembly AND a power source.

/edit for image

It's nice owning the equipment to move the equipment :)