PDA

View Full Version : need a little putty help.

joseph dake
09-26-2013, 3:00 PM
I need a color match for white oak. I can't seem to get anything to work. What have you guys gotten to work for you?

Andrew Fleck
09-26-2013, 3:07 PM
Are you looking for wood putty or filler?

Andrew

joseph dake
09-26-2013, 3:43 PM
I used putty as a generic term.

Andrew Fleck
09-26-2013, 3:48 PM
If you want a filler that blends in well I would look at Famowood. I use that when I need some filler prior to staining. It takes stain really well.

I always think of putty as something you put on after something is already stained. Tomatoes, tomahtoes I guess.

Andrew

Jamie Buxton
09-26-2013, 3:59 PM
Make your own. Use sanding dust from whatever species you're using. (Sanding dust, not saw dust. The smaller particle size works better.) Mix with lacquer (e.g. Deft) to make a paste. It dries hard, so I'd call it a filler. Your finish goes on afterwards.

joseph dake
09-26-2013, 4:31 PM
I have never heard of mixing it with lacquer before could you do the same thing with polyurethane.

Lee Schierer
09-26-2013, 7:32 PM
Make your own. Use sanding dust from whatever species you're using. (Sanding dust, not saw dust. The smaller particle size works better.) Mix with lacquer (e.g. Deft) to make a paste. It dries hard, so I'd call it a filler. Your finish goes on afterwards.

I usually mix mine with wood glue. you can even stain the sanding dust before mixing in the glue to match the final wood color.

Thomas S Stockton
09-26-2013, 7:43 PM
poly takes longer to dry, I usually use shellac just because it is what I have sitting around.
Tom

Jim Finn
09-27-2013, 7:04 PM
I have used white glue mixed with sanding powder. I have also used Deft Lacquer mixed the same way. The plus on using Deft is if you miss a little while sanding it flat it will not show up when you finish it like the glue mixture will.

john bateman
09-29-2013, 1:28 PM
DAP Plastic wood in light oak color is a pretty close match if you're just filling small holes or cracks.