PDA

View Full Version : CorelDraw Question

Rick Maitland
05-31-2005, 8:33 PM
OK i'm going to take the easy way out :) . Im still very new to Corel. I have a vector B/W line art image. I'm trying to put a red outline around the outside of the image so that I can vector cut it out. When I do this it is putting the red outline around all of the black in the image instead of just the outside edge. Thank you for any help you can give.

Lee DeRaud
05-31-2005, 9:55 PM
OK i'm going to take the easy way out :) . Im still very new to Corel. I have a vector B/W line art image. I'm trying to put a red outline around the outside of the image so that I can vector cut it out. When I do this it is putting the red outline around all of the black in the image instead of just the outside edge. Thank you for any help you can give.Hmm...if I read that right, you have a shape with "holes" that are getting outlined. If you want to eliminate them, I think just using "break curve apart" will let you delete the holes. Then apply an outline to the rest, set fill to 'none', and you're ready to cut.
Or, as is more probable, I'm completely misunderstanding the problem.:)

Jeff DeVore
05-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi Rick,
It may be helpful if you could post the file to see what you're dealing with. If your drawing is grouped make sure you ungroup it and only select the outside that you want outline. Or like Lee suggested if it is combined break it apart first and then select the outside part that you want the outline to affect. Hope this helps, Jeff.

Rick Maitland
05-31-2005, 10:24 PM
I should have said that I also need to engrave the black in the image as well. So it will be rastering and then vector cutting after. I did try that Lee but I then lost the image. If this does not help then I will give you the image I am working with.

Jeff DeVore
05-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Rick,
The way I make a drawing is probably doing twice as much work as needed but it keeps everything in my head better. I always trim the areas where nothing is to be and weld together all other areas. I make all the previous empty spots with no fill and black fill the areas I want to raster. Then if I want to cut the outside only I break everything apart and just select the outside with no fill and make it hairline. Jeff.

Jerry Allen
05-31-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm assuming this is what you meant (see attached).

1) Duplicate graphic
2) I was vector even tho it would burn bitmap so convert to B&W bitmap
3) Execute Trace from the Bitmap Menu. The graphic is big so scale it inot the left window.
4) Use the first trace type, Outline with 80-100 setting.
5) Exit from the Trace File menu and say Yes to save which brings it back to Draw.
6) It's on top of the original bitmap so move it off and delete the bitmap copy.
7) Select the traced graphic and Ungroup. You may want to switch to wireframe mode for the next part using the view menu, but it's not mandatory.
8) Delete the inside objects
9) Only the outline should be left; Select it, remove the fill (left click empty X box in palette) and make it red outline (right click red).
10) Shift + Select origiinal and key E and then C.

You may want to fiddle with the nodes and curves a little because the bitmap copy and trace are not perfect.

See next message this is useful for real bitmaps.

Jeff DeVore
05-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi Rick,
I see your dilema. I can't quite figure out how this was drawn yet but if you don't mind having the black outline around the object as well as your cut you can duplicate it, break the new object apart, take the big black area, make no fill with a red hariline outline. Then position this on the same coordinates as your original. I'll keep thinking about how to do what you want though, Jeff.

Jerry Allen
05-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Sorry, I'm really tired. You don't need to create the bitmap as I stated above.
Do this:

1) Duplicate your graphic--Plus key.
2) move it off the original.
3) Select the copy then select Ungroup and then Break Curve apart from the Arrange Menu.
You should switch to wireframe mode for the next part using the view menu, but it's not mandatory.
4) Delete the inside objects OR just select and move the outside curve away from the inside curves (easier).
Switch back to the Enhanced mode in the view menu so you can see fills and colors.
5) Only the outline should be left; left click no fill (X) on the palette; red outline (right click red).
6) Shift + Select origiinal and key E and then C to center over the original.

I left some of the steps in the new attachment. The original outline has a perfect cut outline.

The previous message would apply to a bitmap original.

Rick Maitland
06-01-2005, 9:55 PM
Thank you guys for all the help! It took me a few tries but I have got it down now. Thanks again.