PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioning yearly maintenance?

Wade Lippman
09-26-2013, 1:56 PM
At my old house I had my furnace cleaned yearly but never touched my AC. The company that installed it never even suggested it, though they sent me a post card yearly about the furnace. In 20 years I needed furnace service once, but never AC.

At my "new" house (7 years old) they cleaned both last year as a condition of my buying the house (it had no maintenance since installation and that seemed wrong). Now the company (a different one from the old house) suggests cleaning both again. I don't mind doing the furnace, but I wonder about the AC. Any strong opinions on the cost effectiveness of spending $100 for yearly maintenance on AC?

David Weaver
09-26-2013, 2:01 PM
If the area around your A/C is clean, everything seems tidy and the air temperature at your vents is appropriate (google it), I don't like to spend that money on preventive maintenance on A/C. In my opinion, you open yourself up more to getting scammed than you do in fixing a real problem. If your machine is known problematic or it's sitting in piles of tree dirt, then it might be a different matter.

Just my opinion. I have an old unit that's 30 years old, and I only get it gone over every 4 or 5 years because that's how often it needs coolant, and my mechanical guy does an inspection of the machine in the balance of the hour that you pay for when he's out to put in coolant (as in, he will spend every minute of the hour doing something productive, including checking furnace bits if you ask). He's not cheap, but he's honest and he doesn't suggest unnecessary work.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2013, 2:05 PM
If you have the typical central heating and air conditioning, there is something to be said about having the ac coil inside the furnace cleaned periodically. In certain areas of the country mold and mildew grow on those coils, over time dust builds up and clogs the coils restricting air flow for both the heating and the cooling functions.

I typically have this done when I have them clean and adjust the gas burner in the early fall.

Andrew Fleck
09-26-2013, 2:06 PM
I get mine cleaned twice a year. Once in the spring and once in the fall. I get the coils cleaned off and a genral checkup. So far this has kept me problem free. Maybe some AC experts can weigh in.

Andrew

Brian Elfert
09-26-2013, 4:07 PM
The coils on the outside A/C condenser should be cleaned at least yearly in most locations. I hired a company to do a checkup on both the furnace and A/C last year or the year before. All he did to clean the outside coils was run a hose over them. I figure I can spray some water through the coils myself.

Andrew Fleck
09-26-2013, 4:17 PM
The coils on the outside A/C condenser should be cleaned at least yearly in most locations. I hired a company to do a checkup on both the furnace and A/C last year or the year before. All he did to clean the outside coils was run a hose over them. I figure I can spray some water through the coils myself.

The guy who cleans mine sprays some kind of foaming solution all over the coils and lets that work for a while. Then he uses a hose to rinse it all out of there.

Andrew

George Bokros
09-26-2013, 6:19 PM
I never used to have a spring AC or a fall heating check done. I started it in this house when I needed service. I got a discount on that service call, I get priority service if if I need it, a 15% discount on parts and labor, and no extra charge weekend service plus the peace of mind that the system is performing at peak efficiency. Last year they found the electronic ignitor was not shutting down after the furnace started. It would eventually cause it to fail and the repair would be between $800 and $1000. Too much to spend on a 15 yr old 80% efficient furnace and a poor SEER rating AC unit. They gave me a great price on a replacement HVAC system, 97% efficient furnace and a 15 SEER AC unit (50% off the AC side.)

When my 90 yo mother in law lived with me and needed service they were in an hour or two.

This is just my experience with the people I use.

George

Brian Elfert
09-26-2013, 8:34 PM
The guy who cleans mine sprays some kind of foaming solution all over the coils and lets that work for a while. Then he uses a hose to rinse it all out of there.

I never saw him apply any cleaning solution, but I suppose he could have.

Brad Adams
09-26-2013, 9:40 PM
I own/run a plumbing and heating business. The best maintenance on an a/c condenser is to keep it clean. Just rinse it out with a hose, but be careful not to spray so hard as to bend over the coil fins. The unit should never need freon added unless there is a leak as others have said. Don't forget about the filter in the furnace/air handler as well. If it is cooling ok and you keep the coil and filter clean, you really don't need to service it. I hardly ever use foaming coil cleaner on an outside coil as they rarely need it. I know of some companies that use it to "up" the charge.

Bruce Volden
09-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I use a foaming agent on the coils (Formula 409 ?) and let it soak for about 30 minutes and do what Andrew says. Even in a clean area you WILL get "gunk" in the fins of the coils and these need to be kept clean for max efficiency!! It's very simple and don't be afraid to use a good force of water pressure. (not 3000 psi from a pressure washer!) Simply thumb over hose stuff. If you have bent fins on the coil you could get a fin comb and straighten them too.

Oh----cut the power too.

Bruce