PDA

View Full Version : Leigh dovetail jig

Gene Harris
09-26-2013, 1:54 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Leigh jig, model 1258 r, 24" at a good price. I know this was last produced in 1993, 20 years ago but is upgrade able. What are some experiences had with unit? All serious replies are much appreciated. Thanks!

Al Weber
09-26-2013, 2:03 PM
I have one that I just upgraded to the current model. The older ones lacked some of the better alignment features, hold down clamps, etc. The upgrade is fairly expensive; on the order of $400 but it is cheaper than buying a new model if you can get the old one at a good price. The older models work just fine but are somewhat more finicky about adjustments. I had actually given mine to my step son but a recent bout with arthritis of the hands resulted in not being able to cut handcut dovetails of good quality. I can still use a router though so I asked for a loan back and will return the upgraded model to him whenever he wants it. The Leigh jigs are very versatile but a can be a bit complicated so watching the videos and reading the excellent instruction book that they have will have good results. Leigh does have excellent customer assistance also so help is always available.