PDA

View Full Version : Found the 1 inch decking boards , BUT.......

Clarence Martin
09-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Found the 1 inch thick decking boards, BUT!!!!!!!

This is what they are .

Trex Transcend 1 in. x 5.5 in. Square Decking Board .

Now, If they really are an actual 1 Inch in thickness, they would fit perfectly. But, I already have half the porch done in Pressure Treated wood. I figured out the width of the remaining area that I need to replace. that is 8 feet in length and 47 inches wide.

1. Is there much of a difference in working with this type of material ?

2. Joists under the porch are the standard 16 inches on center. Is that close enough, or do I need to space them closer ?

3. Has anyone rebuilt a porch or deck with half PT lumber and half Trex ?

4. What is the load bearing capacity of Trex ? Can it handle heavy loads, like if you rolled a dolly over it to haul in a new refrigerator or some other heavy appliance ?

5. Can a 8 foot Trex board be ripped down if you needed to fit a narrow board in place ?

6. How do you finish Trex ?

7. fasteners for Trex into PT Joists ?

Dan Hintz
09-26-2013, 10:37 AM
The plastics have a lot more give than wood. My deck has a herringbone pattern, so I had to go with 12"OC to cut down on flex. Even so, it still feels a bit "loose" compared to wood. Also, don't plan on planing down the thickness of the stuff to match what's already there... you'll lose the grain pattern pressed into it and the core has a slightly different look. There is no finishing required. For fasteners, I prefer a hidden screw setup.

Joe Hillmann
09-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Could you buy just regular decking boards? Plane one down to 1 1/16", one to 1 1/8", one to 1 3/16" and leave the rest at the 1 1/4" thickness.