PDA

View Full Version : Microwave convection oven

Stephen Cherry
09-26-2013, 9:47 AM
Has anyone tried one of the microwave-convection ovens? They are available at several price ranges. I am thinking that if I had one I could get rid of the toaster oven. It would save a little space, and I could go back to a regular toaster, which could live under the counter stored away, and would make much better toast.

I'm not a big fan of microwaves, but they are good for heating up liquids or defrosting things fast.

something like this
http://www.cuisinart.com/products/microwaves/cmw-200.html

Duane Meadows
09-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Stephen, I had one for years(actually still do, but we don't use it) It worked very well. Way more energy efficient that firing up the range oven to bake a 1/2 dozen dinner rolls! All that said, I used it rarely, don't think my wife ever used the convection part!

mike holden
09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
We have had one for over eight years, never have used the convection oven function other than once, at first, to try it out. The toaster oven is far more convenient.
Mike

Stephen Cherry
09-26-2013, 5:15 PM
Ok, gotcha.

THanks guys.

John Lohmann
09-26-2013, 8:16 PM
I had a Hitachi at least 25 years ago I bought at the Army PX in Berlin. It worked great, but it was huge, good 4 turkeys & roasts, it browned them & cooked quickly

Pat Barry
09-26-2013, 8:24 PM
I have one. Its great. Mostly use the microwave but I hate soggy reheated microwave pizza and running the pizza thru the convection oven is really good and much more efficient than the big oven. Only problem is waiting the 10 minutes for the pizza to get warmed up but comparing the taste its well worth it.

Shawn Pixley
09-26-2013, 10:06 PM
We have a double traditional, convection, and microwave built-in oven. It is great! The newer ones that I have looked at are a bit different with a lower wattage microwave.

Lee Schierer
09-27-2013, 10:30 AM
We have a microwave convection oven in our camper and it works pretty well. It would have been more useful if it had come with a decent operators manual and a few recipes to give a baseline on how to use it. For a camper or kitchen where space is limited, I think it would be ideal.

Added thought: Now that we have tried it for preparing baked items, we find we use the convection option more often. We do find that baking time tends to be a bit longer than in a conventional oven.

Ole Anderson
09-27-2013, 12:16 PM
I, too, have one in our motorhome. Even though we do not have a traditional oven in the MH, it seldom gets used for convection heating. But now that I have used it and understand how it works, it will get more use.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2013, 1:13 PM
As you can tell by the responses, it's one of those appliances you either like and use or don't like and don't use.

I bought my wife an expensive one years ago. She never used the convection oven function often enough to become comfortable with it.