PDA

View Full Version : Ahem... cough cough.... Tool Gloat for my workshop upgrade.

Frank Trinkle
09-26-2013, 7:09 AM
I'm in the beginning stages of going to LifeLong tools in my woodshop. Basically replacing most of my machines with the "final" products that I expect to last me the rest of my days. Lots of European machines coming, and a few that are made in China under serious quality controls. I've also drunk the green koolaid, and replacing virtually all my hand power tools with Festools over the coming months.

After having sold off most of my older machines, the deliveries have started. A liftgate truck brought me a couple of early Xmas presents yesterday!:D

Now to coerce a couple of neighbors to help get them off their pallets and assist in mounting motors and tables (HEAVY!!!)

Laguna 14X14SUV in its box. Made it into the workshop, no problem. Now to set up!
Next was the Laguna Italian LT20. No go under the garage doors. After unboxing, a couple of neighbors helped me move this 650lb beast under the doors; get the mobility kit installed, and that's when we ran out of daytime. At least it's in the workshop now. Working on the rest of the setups today. LT20 primarily for heavy resawing, and the 14SUV for detail work.

Next up is in early December when I get back from work in Nigeria. Deliveries scheduled for a Hammer A3 41, Laguna 24-36 Revo Lathe, Laguna 6" Belt Sander, and a Jet 22-44 oscillating drum sander. June target for full workshop completion. Stay tuned.

Frank

Dan Hintz
09-26-2013, 8:33 AM
Now to coerce a couple of neighbors to help get them off their pallets and assist in mounting motors and tables (HEAVY!!!)

I ran out of neighbors very quickly asking for such help. After the bandsaw, CNC, and both metal and wood lathes came in, the area is now conveniently deserted when trucks pull up to the driveway. I'm searching for new friends now since I will have a few more pieces of equipment delivered in the next couple of months...

Will Boulware
09-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Congrats on the machinery, but even moreso on the neighbors! Pretty cool having help when you need it!

Art Mulder
09-26-2013, 1:53 PM
wait... tossing the sawstop?

Frank Trinkle
09-26-2013, 2:55 PM
wait... tossing the sawstop?

No no no! Plan on SELLING the Sawstop 3HP PCS and replacing with a Sawstop 5HP ICS. Probably in the spring. Happy with the PCS, but decided to do the upgrade as part of my "LifeLong" tool process. Wouldn't even consider another TS brand... but that's just me!

Stephen Cherry
09-26-2013, 4:59 PM
No no no! . Wouldn't even consider another TS brand... but that's just me!

Oh, no, here we go again. (just joking)

As for moving the machines around, as part of my being a hermit, I've become pretty good at moving fairly heavy machines by myself. Just me and my only friend, a harbor freight come-a-long.

Rick Potter
09-26-2013, 6:01 PM
One of my best tools is an inexpensive HF hoist. It will do 1400# and only cost $130 on sale. It's in the garage on a large beam, and I unload some pretty heavy stuff all by myself with it.

I was told this weighs about 600#

I could not get under the garage door with this, and had to remove the arm. It's over 400#.

I also removed a Delta edge sander that weighs 800#, but the pics have too many pixels to load here. I just get the load a few inches higher than the truck bed, drive out, and then lower the tool onto a mobile base and roll into the shop.

Rick Potter

Stephen Cherry
09-26-2013, 6:03 PM
One of my best tools is an inexpensive HF hoist. It will do 1400# and only cost $130 on sale. It's in the garage on a large beam, and I unload some pretty heavy stuff all by myself with it.

271768 271769

Rick Potter

Now that's a radial arm saw and a half.

Art Mulder
09-26-2013, 6:31 PM
No no no! Plan on SELLING the Sawstop 3HP PCS and replacing with a Sawstop 5HP ICS. Probably in the spring. Happy with the PCS,

Doh! sorry, mixed up the Hammer number that you posted and was thinking of the Hammer sliding TS.

Peter Aeschliman
09-26-2013, 7:50 PM
Frank, congratulations on your tool purchases. Most of us only dream of being able to do what you're doing!