PDA

View Full Version : Broken Handle Screw

Teresa Jones
05-31-2005, 7:26 PM
I am trying to clean up a Stanley #3 for use in my shop.

When I took the plane apart, the screw that holds the rear handle in place broke off where it enters the plane sole.

Is there anyway to extract the part of the screw that remains in the sole?

Do I need to take it somewhere to have it done and if so where?

Many thanks,

TJ

Rick Whitehead
05-31-2005, 7:41 PM
You can use a screw extractor or "easy-out". Using one involves drilling an accurately centered hole in the broken-off part, inserting the screw extractor, and trying to back it out. First,however, you should soak the broken off piece with penetrating oil and wait a day or so before trying it.
If the screw extractor doesn't work, you're basically out of luck. With most other tools or machines you can sometimes drill and re-tap the hole, but since Stanley used a non-standard thread size, you are probably stuck with it.(Literally!)
If you don't feel comfortable trying this youself, a machine shop would probably do it for you, or at least demonstrate the process.
Good luck with it!
Rick

Brent Smith
05-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Any good garage should be able to extract it for you.Another solution you might use is a heli-coil,again a good garage will help you with this.If you can't find a garage to help,try a Harley shop........you 'd be surprised how often this problem comes up working on bikes and HD mechanics can be ingenious when need arrises.BTW,if you plan on bringing it somewhere,don't soak it in anything first.Most guys will prefer a dry non slippery surface to do their drilling on.

Brent

Teresa Jones
06-01-2005, 6:13 PM
Thank you both.

There is a Harley shop not too far from where I live.

TJ