PDA

View Full Version : $16 Moxon Vice w/ pix

Daniel Rode
09-25-2013, 9:34 PM
In another thread I discussed and idea I had for a cheap Moxon vice made from a set of butchered Jorgensen style handscrew clamps. I used 8" clamps from Harbor Freight that I bought for $7.99 each. The remainder of the vice is made from 8/4 oak that's been sitting in the shop for a few years. It's not beautiful, but it's sturdy and clamps well. It's useable but not quite done. I'm going to add a short table to the rear (even with the rear jaw) and a center support that can be secured with a holdfast to provide more support perpendicular to the face. That should allow me to more easily mark, saw and even chisel.

I haven't actually used this one yet. The smaller, thinner plywood prototype worked well enough and this one is all around better.

The rear jaw is 1.25" x 6" x 23"
The front jaw is 1" x 4" x 20"
The maximum capacity is 16"

Chris Griggs
09-25-2013, 9:37 PM
Very cool! Nice work Daniel. Really brilliant!

Jim Koepke
09-26-2013, 1:34 AM
Looks like a very good solution for a low cost.

If you didn't mind the screws turning in different directions you could have made it from just one clamp.

If you do half blind dovetails you might want to consider putting a wide chamfer along the front.

jtk

Daniel Rode
09-26-2013, 9:27 AM
Looks like a very good solution for a low cost.

If you didn't mind the screws turning in different directions you could have made it from just one clamp.

If you do half blind dovetails you might want to consider putting a wide chamfer along the front.

jtk

I'm just now learning to cut through dovetails. I haven't really tried my hand at half blind joints, so I'm not as familiar with the process. Is the chamfer to provide better clearance when sawing at 45 degrees?

Don Orr
09-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Looks great! Could you give us a shot of the backside please? Thanks.

Daniel Rode
09-26-2013, 11:29 AM
I'll upload a picture that includes the back this evening.

Looks great! Could you give us a shot of the backside please? Thanks.

Jim Koepke
09-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm just now learning to cut through dovetails. I haven't really tried my hand at half blind joints, so I'm not as familiar with the process. Is the chamfer to provide better clearance when sawing at 45 degrees?

Yes, with your design it can be added later when needed.

jtk

Federico Mena Quintero
09-26-2013, 1:06 PM
That's very clever. Nice one.

Chris Hachet
09-26-2013, 2:02 PM
Very impressive!

Daniel Rode
09-26-2013, 7:01 PM
As requested, here are some additional images showing the back and more detail.

Chris Griggs
09-26-2013, 7:06 PM
That is just so clever. Seriously the best cheap and lazy (and I mean that as a compliment) Moxon vise I've seen. Absolutely brilliant in its simplicity!

Daniel Rode
09-26-2013, 10:20 PM
It had to be cheap, I don't have the money for a more expensive solution ;) The prototype, made from scrap ply, proved the idea would but it was weak and really ugly.
Lazy == efficient. It took less than an hour to make, used materials on hand and I can get to the work of learning how to run a hand saw.

I used it tonight for some practice sawing. It worked perfectly but there's a little front/back wiggle. The whole thing moves a bit because it's all held by just clamping a thin edge. I'm confident that the rear support will make it rock solid.

Brian Kerley
09-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Just saw this design in popularwoodworking and built mine last weekend as well.

Jim Koepke
09-27-2013, 2:43 AM
The whole thing moves a bit because it's all held by just clamping a thin edge. I'm confident that the rear support will make it rock solid.

Some have a buttress like support between the back and the bottom horizontal piece. If it is even with the top it makes a good balance point when marking dovetails to pins if you cut tails first.

jtk

Daniel Rode
09-27-2013, 8:28 AM
Popular Woodworking has a Moxon Vice made from handscrews?

Just saw this design in popularwoodworking and built mine last weekend as well.

Jim Koepke
09-27-2013, 1:04 PM
Popular Woodworking has a Moxon Vice made from handscrews?

I think in their version the hand screws were left intact and slots were cut into the ends of the vise jaws to slide the screws into place.

Popular Woodworking has a lot of articles on line. You can subscribe to their blogs and get email up dates when articles are added.

jtk

Don Orr
09-27-2013, 2:16 PM
Thanks very much for the extra photos! Now, what to do with the left over clamp parts. Hmmm...

Jim Koepke
09-27-2013, 3:04 PM
Thanks very much for the extra photos! Now, what to do with the left over clamp parts. Hmmm...

Make a Moxon for lefties?

jtk