PDA

View Full Version : Need a New Motor for TS

Mark Sykes
09-25-2013, 12:14 PM
I have a old craftsman 10 inch with a 1 hp motor (120 volt) that has recently bit the dust, looking to replace with a 1.5 hp. Any recommendations on what and where to buy?? Thanks

Adam Diethrich
09-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Depending on the motor, Grainger or any industrial electric motor supply/shop?
Any markings or name plate on the motor

A.W.D.

Matt Day
09-25-2013, 1:01 PM
Shoot, you can probably buy an entire used C'man saw in CL for $50 with a working motor. Much cheaper than buying new, especially from Grainger.

Jim Andrew
09-25-2013, 1:55 PM
I looked at replacing the motor and fence on my old cman, and decided it was too close in price to a new saw. So I now have a cabinet saw.

Mark Sykes
09-25-2013, 3:27 PM
Jim what cabinet saw did you purchase?? Always looking for an excuse to upgrade.

Phil Thien
09-25-2013, 3:51 PM
I had a Craftsman contractors saw on which the 1-HP motor would, on occasion, stop working. I'd just take my air compressor and blast all the sawdust out of it, and it was good as new.

Art Mann
09-25-2013, 5:02 PM
If you are really serious about keeping the old Craftsman saw, I would look for a motor at Harbor Freight if there is one near you. I bought a half horsepower motor for a sander I built there and it has worked well for a couple of years now. The cost was way less than half the cost of a new Baldor. I will be the first to admit that it isn't the same quality as a Baldor, but buying a top quality motor for that saw is like buying a $1000 set of tires for a $600 used car.

Jim Neeley
09-25-2013, 6:14 PM
Be aware that there are various "Frame sizes" for motors that include things such as mounting bolt pattern, etc. If you change frame sizes you may need to mess with mounting brackets, etc. etc, etc...

Curt Harms
09-26-2013, 9:21 AM
Another place to look would be Tractor Supply if you have one local. Grizzly sells motors, and if you're doing mail order I think I'd trust their info re frame size etc. Maybe call their Tech Support phone # to be sure. I had a Craftsman contractors saw and one of the things that had me scratching my head was the use of an ODP motor on a table saw.

Jim Andrew
09-26-2013, 8:26 PM
It was '04, and I bought a new Delta Unisaw for 1000. It had the long fence rails, 3hp. Biesemeyer fence.

Jason White
09-27-2013, 1:00 AM
I bought a new 1-HP motor from Grizzly awhile back. Very happy with it!

Mark Sykes
11-06-2013, 5:53 PM
got a new motor 1.5 hp baldor motor and a new on/off switch http://www.woodstockint.com/110-220V-PADDLE-SWITCH-/D4151 - where can i find a box for this with a plug - this will not fit in my old box and i could not get it to power up the motor when plugged into the on/off switch. I think/hope that it wont pull the 1.5hp. the motor works if plugged directly to a hot plug but not to the old switch, i plugged a corded drill to old switch turned it on and pulled the trigger for the drill and it worked. So bought the higher rated on/off switch but need a new box for it. Thanks

Ralph Okonieski
11-06-2013, 7:16 PM
Like Jason, I bought a replacement motor for my Craftsman TS from Grizzly. That was several years ago. Works great.

Troy Turner
11-06-2013, 8:26 PM
Mark, I did about the same as you. Put a Baldor on my 80's Craftsman. Mines 1hp though. Bought the same switch. And no, it doesn't fit a normal junction box. Had to go to the store and get a deeper box. Didn't think they made them, but they do. I have it wired directly from the motor to the switch.