PDA

View Full Version : Does this TV support seem secure?

Wade Lippman
09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
I want to mount a TV in the corner and bought this to hold it.
http://www.sanus.com/ap/en/products/visionmount/full-motion-mount/VMF220
I have a 42" 50 pound TV and the mount says it is good to 47" and 100 pounds.
But it attaches with two screws in a single stud, and I am just not comfortable with putting 50 pounds at the end of a 20" arm with only two screws holding it up. They are 3.5" long 5/16" screws, but still just two of them. Does that seem adequate?

There are two extra holes in the top of the wall bracket. I could fasten them to the drywall with toggle bolts. That should add some strength without losing anything (except a bit extra to fix if I ever remove it). Reasonable or excessive? Or still inadequate?

I suppose I could actually try it on a stud in the basement, but I am not sure that would actually prove anything.

Harvey M. Taylor
09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Seems to me that you answered your own question. Max

Bruce Page
09-25-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't think a large company like Sanus would sell the mount without it being properly engineered. Two 5/16 X 3½” long screws seems pretty stout.

JMO

Larry Browning
09-25-2013, 12:46 PM
I have to agree with Bruce. Two 5/16 screws seem pretty adequate to me. As long as you pre-drill the proper size hole into the center of the stud (which can be a challenge to find behind drywall). I think adding toggle bolts into the drywall would not add very much strength.

Gordon Eyre
09-25-2013, 1:08 PM
Most of the weight would be pulling down on the stud with only a portion pulling out. I personally would not have a problem with the way it is mounted. Obviously the manufacturer does not either.

Wade Lippman
09-25-2013, 1:17 PM
Most of the weight would be pulling down on the stud with only a portion pulling out. I personally would not have a problem with the way it is mounted. Obviously the manufacturer does not either.

If it was mostly down I wouldn't be concerned, but on a 20" lever arm I think most of the force will be pulling the screw out. It will be like a 20" crowbar. Of course, now that I think about it, a 20" crowbar isn't all that powerful; certainly couldn't remove a lagbolt...

If you note on the description, they are aware of the problem with their lag bolts and are working on a fix. Apparently a significant number of bolts broke when being installed. They have gone to a stronger lag bolt, but it does not inspire confidence.

Pat Barry
09-25-2013, 1:35 PM
Assuming you get the screws into the 2x4, there will be no problem whatsoever.

Wade Lippman
09-26-2013, 2:36 PM
While getting a link to post here, I noticed that Amazon had this for $35 less than I paid at BestBuy. BestBuy has a price guarantee on Amazon, so I called them. Nope, the guarantee is only when purchased, not after. So I have to return it? Yup. Well, I'm not going to throw $35 away...

BB sends me an email saying they are putting $212 back on my credit card and $2 back on my gift card. If I no longer have the gift card I have to call them for a replacement.
I call them. They say they don't have an email address for me. But I am looking at an email FROM them; they HAVE to have my address. Nope, they don't have it. 28 minutes later they have figured out what to do and say they will mail it to me. To what address? The one I moved from a year ago of course. Not the one they mailed the wall mount to? Nope, the old one. I gave them the new address. They tell me to call them in 30 days when it doesn't arrive.

Just how does that company stay in business? Their business strategy seems to be to exasperate customers until they give up.

Larry Browning
09-26-2013, 3:02 PM
Are you thinking about how throwing away that 35 bucks might have been a pretty good idea yet?

Wade Lippman
09-26-2013, 3:38 PM
Are you thinking about how throwing away that 35 bucks might have been a pretty good idea yet?

Can't do it. Can't ever do it.
It is not so much a matter of principle as a character flaw.

Jim Matthews
09-26-2013, 3:50 PM
It's like BestBuy isn't even trying, anymore.

Their service after the sale won't come into play, here.
They lost my business, two hard drive failures ago.

The advantage of going with them over anybody that can ship is negligible.

phil harold
09-26-2013, 4:08 PM
But it attaches with two screws in a single stud, and I am just not comfortable with putting 50 pounds at the end of a 20" arm with only two screws holding it up. They are 3.5" long 5/16" screws, but still just two of them. Does that seem adequate?

5/16" screws?
I think it calls for lag bolts the last on I installed
(might of been different brand)