PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this tool rest

Andrew Fleck
09-25-2013, 11:34 AM
I recently won this grinder setup at a local online auction. I'm having trouble identifying the tool rest that is on it. I also don't know what the red things below the right wheel are. I really didn't expect to win this thing so I bid really low and what do you know...it's mine now. I pick it up this Saturday and I'm just curious at this point. I'm sure it has some kind of marking, but I'm hoping somebody can satisfy my curiosity in the meantime.

Andrew

david brum
09-25-2013, 11:58 AM
I believe that is a Hart Design tool rest. FWW had a review HERE (http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/product-finder/hart-design-versa-rest-tool-rest.aspx). It sounds like they are out of production, although Hartville still sells the sliding jig. The extra red piece on the right is a mounting base which allows the tool rest to move to the other wheel.

Todd Burch
09-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Looks like you got a couple nice wheels there, white and pink! The finer variety.

Andrew Fleck
09-25-2013, 4:41 PM
Thanks for the help David. That looks exactly like it to me. Those wheels are a nice bonus.

Andrew

Todd Burch
09-25-2013, 5:08 PM
Speaking of picking up a grinder at auction - I go pick this bad boy up on Friday. It's a Baldor 1217W. Two 12" X 2" wheels, on a pedestal.

Tell me what you paid for yours and I'll tell you what I paid for mine. ;)

Andrew Fleck
09-25-2013, 5:17 PM
Speaking of picking up a grinder at auction - I go pick this bad boy up on Friday. It's a Baldor 1217W. Two 12" X 2" wheels, on a pedestal.

Tell me what you paid for yours and I'll tell you what I paid for mine. ;)

$23 for mine, but I would have rather gotten yours. I have a soft spot for owwm.

Andrew

Rick Potter
09-25-2013, 5:35 PM
Andrew,

That was an outstanding buy, and it looks to be in great shape.

Congrats,
Rick Potter

Andrew Fleck
09-25-2013, 6:41 PM
Andrew,

That was an outstanding buy, and it looks to be in great shape.

Congrats,
Rick Potter

Thanks Rick. I'm pretty happy about winning this one. It will be nice to have a variable speed grinder for a change.

Andrew

Todd Burch
09-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Wow - that's a great deal! I don't think you could have bought either of those wheels for that.

I paid $285 for mine. New today, they are well over $2K. Over $3K directly from Baldor. Can't wait to get mine and clean it up!

Doug Ladendorf
09-26-2013, 8:49 AM
Nice score Andrew. The tool rest looks very similar to the Veritas, which is a lot more than you paid. That should serve you fine until the right OMWM comes along. :-)
Doug

Andrew Fleck
09-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Wow - that's a great deal! I don't think you could have bought either of those wheels for that.

I paid $285 for mine. New today, they are well over $2K. Over $3K directly from Baldor. Can't wait to get mine and clean it up!

I think you got the better deal. Sometimes cleaning them up is more rewarding than the actual deal. To me at least.

Andrew

Andrew Fleck
09-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Nice score Andrew. The tool rest looks very similar to the Veritas, which is a lot more than you paid. That should serve you fine until the right OMWM comes along. :-)
Doug

Thanks Doug. It's out there somewhere. Probably laying on it's side in some dark corner of a barn waiting for me to come and find it!

Andrew