PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use the Rockler HVLP spray system?

Michael Dunn
09-25-2013, 9:01 AM
If so, how well does it perform? Are the adjustments useful and effective? I need a better HVLP sprayer and this price is right for my current budget.

Prashun Patel
09-25-2013, 9:28 AM
I have the Woodcraft model, which I believe is the same one.

For spraying shellac, lacquer, and dye, it's pretty good.

The adjustment is not scientific; it's a dial with no indicator.

I would suggest, though that since you seem to be doing a lot of projects, you consider the Earlex.

Michael Dunn
09-25-2013, 7:08 PM
Which model?

John Jacobson
10-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Rocklers are a bit on the cheap quality end with low power and a bit more over spray. Like Prashun said the instructions and indicators are frustratingly hard to read but they do a decent job for the price. If your going to use often you may want some thing a bit more 'sturdy' like an 5000 Earlex or higher. I saw a couple of good ones at this site Pro Hvlps (http://www.squidoo.com/best-paint-sprayer-for-interior-trim) that will get you started. I'm not sure I'd recommend much lower quality that these tend to the lack of durability.

Curt Harms
10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
I have the Woodcraft model, which I believe is the same one.

For spraying shellac, lacquer, and dye, it's pretty good.

The adjustment is not scientific; it's a dial with no indicator.

I would suggest, though that since you seem to be doing a lot of projects, you consider the Earlex.

Michael, you're doing this professionally so yes, Earlex 5500 at a minimum IMO. I have an Earlex 5000. It's a 2 stage turbine, I think it only produces something like 2.x p.s.i. but the cup is pressurized which helps with fluid feed. The Earlex 5500 is still a 2 stage turbine but I believe higher CFM. It seems to do pretty well with shellac & water based finishes. One downside is no real control over the fan width. To spray a narrower swath, turn the fluid control knob down and hold the gun closer to the work :rolleyes:. Even pretty low end conversion guns running off a compressor have a knob that adjusts the fan width. Here's a review of the Earlex 5000 by Charles Neal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBscXB7yec