PDA

View Full Version : Kreg K5 jig kit vs K4 Master system kit - which do you prefer?

Dave Kirby
09-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting one of the Kreg jig kits to give pocket joinery a try. I had been looking to purchase the K4 Master system kit for some time, but now they have come out with the new K5 kit which seems to have some decent improvements over the K4, for one the clamping lever is located out front instead of behind the stock like the older K4 unit. One thing I noticed on the K5 unit is that the clamping device seems to be made of plastic unlike the K4's all metal stock clamp, I'd like to know if you have found this to be durable? The two jig kits are priced exactly the same. Does anyone have experience with these two jig kits and could offer some advice, A-B comparisons, reviews, etc.. to help me choose which to purchase? I appreciate any help you could give. Thanks!

Rick Potter
09-24-2013, 11:43 PM
I doubt anyone has much experience with the K5, as it just came out. I have the K3 with the handle on the front and it is the way to go. Picture yourself trying to reach over a cabinet side to set the clamp. Now picture doing it dozens of times.

I do know the new clamp is automatically adjusted, which helps also. My K3 has a spring loaded clamp, and it is great.

Hands down, my vote is for the K5. Check the Kreg site, they have videos.

Rick Potter

George Bokros
09-25-2013, 8:36 AM
I have the K3 and the clamp in the front is the way to go. I agree with Rick, it will be a pain to reach around a large panel to lock the clamp. So far my main use has been for cabinet face frames so the clamp in the back would be no problem but if it were large panels it would be.

George

Mort Stevens
09-25-2013, 2:43 PM
Whichever one has the clamping handle in the front is what you want. I have the K3 with the front handle and it works great. I don't know why they ever thought the rear clamp handle was a better design!

Rick Potter
09-25-2013, 4:36 PM
Mort,

I read here that they were sued over a patent infringement. They must have cleared it up.

Rick Potter

Jim Neeley
09-25-2013, 6:16 PM
+1 on front handle!!

Dave Kirby
09-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate it!

Jason White
09-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Ditto what Rick Said. I have the K3 and love it. The only way I'll switch to the K5 is if my K3 breaks, which could happen because I've been using the snot out of it lately. ;)

The only thing I dislike about my K3 is that, occasionally, the threaded insert buried in the jig backs out when I loosen the lock nut on the tensioning rod clamp thingy. Otherwise it's great. Good dust collection when connected to a vac, too!

I actually just finished building an entire garage full of shop cabinets (see pictures) using nothing but the K3 -- both the boxes and face frames were assembled with pocket screws. Did not use any glue and they're solid as a rock! I even used pocket screws to attach the faces frames to the boxes.

I doubt anyone has much experience with the K5, as it just came out. I have the K3 with the handle on the front and it is the way to go. Picture yourself trying to reach over a cabinet side to set the clamp. Now picture doing it dozens of times.

I do know the new clamp is automatically adjusted, which helps also. My K3 has a spring loaded clamp, and it is great.

Hands down, my vote is for the K5. Check the Kreg site, they have videos.

Rick Potter

Mike Cozad
09-28-2013, 9:28 PM
Like you I researched the kreg jigs before buying and followed the advice of those here and went for the 3. Got lucky and tripped over one right here on the creek. Glad I did. The handle at the rear on the 4 was a real drag when I had the opportunity to evaluate it...

Rick Potter
09-29-2013, 12:29 AM
So far, it is 2 for the K4, and 2 for the K5 (front handle).

All the comments prefer the front handle (that would be the K5). So......who voted for the K4?

C'mon, fess up.

Rick Potter

Bob Potter
09-29-2013, 4:15 PM
I have the K 3 with the handle in the front, much handier. Very satisfied with the whole setup.

Bob