PDA

View Full Version : Mailorder lumber feelings

John Piwaron
09-24-2013, 2:56 PM
For the people that have bought lumber "mail order", how's it worked out for you? But even more, have you bought it even though there's lumber at a local retailer?

Yes, I've done that. In fact, there's some on the way to me now. But it feels a little strange to do so when there are perfectly good lumber sources near me. OTOH, the woods I've bought that way are species unavailable to me here.

It just feels odd to me. Not only that, but shipping is expensive. A fact that keeps this a rare experience.

Tony Leonard
09-25-2013, 3:35 PM
Well, since we have no sources here in Memphis, I have mail ordered quite a bit. Mostly from Woodworker's Source in AZ. I have good luck so far. I don't expect to get the same yield that I got when I could pick it out of the stack myself. I watch sales and order things when they are a better deal. I have a nice stack of mahogany and tiger maple. I sure miss have the two suppliers we used to have. Never thought they were great, but at least they were here!

Tony

Mark Carlson
09-25-2013, 3:54 PM
I ordered a lot of 20 bf bundles (mahogany and hard maple) from walllumber.com on my last project. I was very happy with the quality and was able to specify widths when ordering for drawer fronts. I can get wood locally but the lumber yard I like, is open from 8-4pm mon-friday, so I have to take half a day off from work to go. I can have it delivered but usually get a 100 bf or more but then I have to store it. Trade offs galore.

~mark