PDA

View Full Version : "REACHING" Turned wall hanging

Marc Himes
09-24-2013, 2:22 PM
This wall hanging/platter is made from Yellow Birch and is about 18" in diameter. The texturing was done with a Dremel and the piece was dyed using blue and orange aniline dyes. It is finished with wipe on poly. I used the growth rings as a pattern for the texture and could see a humanoid figure reaching towards the sky. It has a personal significance to me due to recent events and could be seen as reaching and sending out, or reaching to receive something from above. It can be your own individual interpretation, if you wish. I called it "REACHING". C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Roger Chandler
09-24-2013, 7:36 PM
That is pretty nice Marc.........I like the curl in the grain. The contrasting colors will make for a nice piece of wall art as well.

charlie knighton
09-24-2013, 7:39 PM
very nice, its a different mind set, enjoy

John Keeton
09-24-2013, 8:06 PM
Very attractive, Marc, and I am sure a very meaningful piece for you under the circumstances. I wish you the best.

Marc Himes
09-26-2013, 1:26 PM
Thanks for your comments and good wishes. The piece is currently part of a show in a local popular restaurant (Sweet Water Cafe') in Marquette. My wife and a friend of hers are showing their hand dyed and Nuno-felted silk scarves along with 9 of my pieces. The details of the pieces are not well shown in the picture, but you can see the over all effect. Pictures of several of the other pieces have been posted here previously. I enjoy doing the large platters especially if the wood can tell a story.

Scott Hackler
09-26-2013, 1:35 PM
Very nice Marc.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Marc... not sure how I missed this! Beautiful work! Love the coloring, the texture and all that curl! The title works well! Thanks for sharing!