PDA

View Full Version : "Vee" Block

W.C. Turner
05-15-2003, 1:19 AM
OK, I finally tried my first attempt at a V block. I used the tablesaw and sawed down the middle of a 2x4 at 45°, steadily increasing the blade heightuntil I could get the center of the "V" scrap to come out. Only thing is, I have a ridge in the bottom of the V that I don't want, left from the teeth of the blade.

How do I cut a "V" block that has just the "V" in the bottom, without a ridge, after the waste is removed?
Thanks,

Todd Burch
05-15-2003, 8:16 AM
You can tweak your fence and cut just a bit deeper, or you can overcut. Unless you are going to lay down a 1/8" dowel in the bottom of the V, just overcut a smidge.

Todd.

Jason Roehl
05-15-2003, 8:28 AM
90° (V-groove) router bit, maybe? Cut out most of the waste with your TS, then finish up with the router. Or, you possibly need a TS blade with a flat-top grind tooth profile.

Jason

Mike Matlin
05-15-2003, 8:50 AM
Another thing that you could do would be to raise the blade up until it would clean up the material left in the corner. Set your fence so the blade will be exactly in the middle of your stock. I use steel vee blocks everyday that have been machined this same way.

Mike

Bob Oswin
05-15-2003, 9:52 AM
Cut a piece of 2 x 4 at 45 degrees lengthways.

Then cut the piece in half and trim the sharp edge back till you have enough thickness to glue the two together.

That will be about 5/8"
The one in the picture is getting quite old and is also used on the drill press to steady up pipe and dowels etc.
regards
Bob

W.C. Turner
05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
I had the very same thoughts, about the V-groove router bit, and a blade with a flat top grind.

A big Thanks to all who responded!!