PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Comparing Jointers

Tony Wilkins
09-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Next plane I'm getting is a jointer. I almost hesitate to ask this as the last time I asked anything that had to do with brands quickly devolved. I am not looking to start a fight and yes I have searched - didn't find the info I needed.

SO here goes, help me compare these four jointer planes: LV BU jointer, LV #6 Fore (not technically a jointer but the longest of the LV BD planes), LN #7 1/2 LA jointer, and LN #7.

I've been really enjoying my LV 4 1/2 and LV 5 1/4. I'm worried about the weight of the LN #7 and also worried that the LN totes would fit me as roughly as the LN #5 I tried did. With the weakness due to my illness, weight is a concern with all of these for me.

So input and help comparing these is definitely needed and appreciated.

TIA,
Tony

Archie England
09-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Next plane I'm getting is a jointer. I almost hesitate to ask this as the last time I asked anything that had to do with brands quickly devolved. I am not looking to start a fight and yes I have searched - didn't find the info I needed.

SO here goes, help me compare these four jointer planes: LV BU jointer, LV #6 Fore (not technically a jointer but the longest of the LV BD planes), LN #7 1/2 LA jointer, and LN #7.

I've been really enjoying my LV 4 1/2 and LV 5 1/4. I'm worried about the weight of the LN #7 and also worried that the LN totes would fit me as roughly as the LN #5 I tried did. With the weakness due to my illness, weight is a concern with all of these for me.

So input and help comparing these is definitely needed and appreciated.

TIA,
Tony

If weight is an issue, why not consider an ECE 24" jointer or a vintage one. Even Stanley or Sargent transitionals work really well! Didn't mean to ADD to your selection problem.

I find quality type 11s, 12s, 13s (Stanley) and older Millers Falls (occasionally, Sargent VBM, as well) to perform every bit as well as the newer LN and LV. However, I've learned how to fettle vintage planes--and sometimes it's time consuming and a pain. So, for vintage style performance--without any need for fettling--buy the LN. They are beautifully made, high quality, and work (99.9%) right out of the box!!!!! Even the blades come pretty sharp. For true innovation, durable quality, and well-thought out redesign, purchase the LV planes. I love these, too. But, all this really comes down to preference, need, and moolah.

Whatever you get, enjoy and post pics!

Ryan Baker
09-23-2013, 11:01 PM
The only one of that group I have is the LV BU jointer, and I think it is great (especially with a PMV11 blade). It is a heavy plane, but I find that a good thing in a jointer. I seem to remember the LV specing out heavier than the LN. If weight is a concern for you, an old Stanley is probably the lightest option. BU vs BD -- you could go either way and it probably wouldn't matter, depending on what type of work you will mostly be doing with it. The BU is faster to sharpen. If you want a jointer, I would tend toward a #7 over a #6 for the extra length (unless it adds too much weight). You could hardly go wrong with any of the ones you listed.

Edit: I also have an ECE 24" jointer, and I am not sure at all that it is lighter than the LV. I would need a scale for that one. Woodies can be lighter, but that is a serious chuck of timber (depending on which species you have).

Tony Wilkins
09-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Re: woodies - I have a 24" Ohio Tools wooden jointer that I've been trying to manage. The problem with it is the thickness of the stock; it's just to 'boxy' for me to manage getting a good grip on the front and the 'uprightness' is difficult for me to keep balanced. Might be better on a shorter bench I guess.

Steve Friedman
09-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Archie is definitely spot on. I have the ECE try plane (24") and it is very light. I also used to have a Type 12 #7 and it was much lighter than the L-N one.

I would add two comments. First, I don't think I would be happy with a #6 as my longest plane.

The other is that the LV Bevel Up Jointer with the new PM-VII blade is an amazing plane. The vast majority of my planes are L-N and I still prefer the way they look and feel to the LV offerings. But, when I decided to get a bevel up jointer, I went with LV and now wish I had done the same thing when I bought my L-N bevel up jack a few years ago. I wouldn't trade any of my L-N bevel down planes for an equivalent LV version, but do think that LV has surpassed L-N in the technical enhancements it has made to bevel up planes. From the set screws to the PM-VII steel, LV just seem to be masters of the Bevel Up world. For me, the availability of the auxiliary fence makes the LV bevel up jointer that much better.

So, if you want steel and new, I suggest looking at the LV jointer. If you're willing to try wood, the ECE is a nice plane - just not in the same league (IMHO) as the LV or L-N planes. If you're willing to try used, you can never go wrong with a vintage #7, especially one that has already been rehabbed by Tablesaw Tom (Tom Bussey) or someone with a similar reputation.

Steve

Judson Green
09-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Have you thought of making a fence or something like that for your jointer? I made one for a #7 that I pick up in April. Its worked out well. Definitely has helped me with the balancing act. And might allow for your front hand (guessing left) to move to a lower place, guiding on the fence, not on the top of the jointer. And its practically free. I've found that my muscle memory has improved and can find 90° easier and feel that it is somewhat owed to this device. I think of it as training wheels. It might be cheating, but I won't tell if you don't.:p And this being a hobby it had better be enjoyable. But I haven't nearly the hand tool experience as many others here.

How high off the floor is the surface of the board (edge) your jointing?

Hilton Ralphs
09-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Tony, I have the Veritas jointer and its great. The finish isn't as spiffy as the Lie-Nielsen but the one advantage is that you can get a very cool fence that will help with squaring edges.

Tony Wilkins
09-24-2013, 1:02 AM
This being the final day of free shipping drove me over the edge. I ordered the LV BUJ with the fence and with a PM-V11 blade.

Tony Shea
09-24-2013, 6:08 AM
If weight is of concern to you due to physical health issues then I think you made the right choice with the LV BU jointer. I have the LN #7 jointer and would choose this plane 9 out of 10 times for jointing purposes over a Bevel Up version. I love this plane, the heft is really a nice feature in this plane. But in your situation I think the lower center of gravity is a good thing to have which you should get out of the LV BU jointer.