PDA

View Full Version : Final Smoothing: Veritas 4 1/2 or LAJ

Brett Bobo
09-23-2013, 4:52 PM
It seems as though the LV free shipping events always come around the time when I'm anticipating another plane purchase so it pushes me over the edge to pull the trigger, possibly again. I've held out until the eleventh hour so we'll see.:D

I have a Veritas LAJ with only the standard angle blade but I'm wondering how worthwhile it would be to add the Veritas 4 1/2 to the mix for final smoothing versus purchasing the high angle blade (50 degrees) for the LAJ. I should note that most of my projects are made from cherry so I don't typically use highly figured/exotic material aside from an occasional figured piece for a door panel, for example.

Is there a noticeable advantage (ignoring the length of the material) of using a 4 1/2 versus a LAJ with a high angle blade for final smoothing? Are there any fundamental differences between the Veritas and LN 4 1/2? With the LN, I do prefer the option of the HAF in lieu of adding a back bevel with the Veritas but I don't think that'll convince me to pay the difference in price.

Thanks for the input,
Brett

David Weaver
09-23-2013, 5:08 PM
I've never used the veritas 4 1/2, but I had a LN at one time. The entire design of the frog, handle, etc is different on the veritas without necessarily changing the overall shape of the plane (width, length, height, weight, hand position, etc).

No back bevel needed on anything that you buy, just use the chipbreaker/cap iron that comes with it and set it close.

Whatever plane you buy, buy what you prefer (if you prefer bevel up planes, then that's probably the best choice). There's nothing really that any of them won't plane with one type of setup or another.

Jim Koepke
09-23-2013, 8:58 PM
Sometimes my smoothing is done with a Jack plane. Most of the time one of the smoothers is preferred if for nothing other than its nimble nature.

jtk

Derek Cohen
09-24-2013, 12:58 AM
It seems as though the LV free shipping events always come around the time when I'm anticipating another plane purchase so it pushes me over the edge to pull the trigger, possibly again. I've held out until the eleventh hour so we'll see.:D

I have a Veritas LAJ with only the standard angle blade but I'm wondering how worthwhile it would be to add the Veritas 4 1/2 to the mix for final smoothing versus purchasing the high angle blade (50 degrees) for the LAJ. I should note that most of my projects are made from cherry so I don't typically use highly figured/exotic material aside from an occasional figured piece for a door panel, for example.

Is there a noticeable advantage (ignoring the length of the material) of using a 4 1/2 versus a LAJ with a high angle blade for final smoothing? Are there any fundamental differences between the Veritas and LN 4 1/2? With the LN, I do prefer the option of the HAF in lieu of adding a back bevel with the Veritas but I don't think that'll convince me to pay the difference in price.

Thanks for the input,
Brett

Hi Brett

Rather than the Veritas #4 1/2, perhaps you should look at the Veritas Bevel Up Smoother. This shares a blade with the Veritas LA Jack you have. If you are comfortable with the LAJ, then you will find the BUS amazing. It is a superb smoother for the most difficult woods - which is not an issue for you so far. Sharing blades would enable you to keep one set up for a low cutting angle (using the LAJ for traversing boards when jointing, or on the shooting board) and then a high angle one for smoothing boards and panels.

Regards from Perth

Derek