PDA

View Full Version : Nice Yard Sale Haul this weekend

Edward Mitton
09-23-2013, 9:37 AM

Hi, All,
I picked up all of this stuff at a yard sale this past Saturday.

The saws are definite users. The top one is an Atkins ripper. ($1) Haven't measured yet, but it appears to be around 6TPI. The bottom saw is a Disston crosscut. ($5) He had another Superior crosscut saw for $1, but I passed on it because of a badly warped saw plate. If he still has it at his next sale I might pick it up for parts or whatever. I need to do some research on model numbers on these saws.

The plane is a low angle block. ($4) The only marking I could find was on the blade; a script "Lakeside". All the gentleman could say about it was, "Heh, Heh, That thing's older'n me!" Again, need to do some research on it. The blade is already sharp enough to take shavings, but I am anxious to see what it will do after I scary-sharpen it.

Try squares are Stanley 6" and 7 1/2" w/brass fence.

A handfull of random files, carving knife, 1/4" pig sticker, & stubby SD.

A wire basket full of packaged wooden toy wheels and axle pegs. The gentleman gave me these for $4. He threw in a few random partial boxes of screws for free.

All in all I paid $30 for the lot. Went home pretty happy!

Chris Hachet
09-23-2013, 10:00 AM
I would be happy too! Nice finds, sir.

Edward Mitton
09-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Just found some information about the Lakeside plane. Lakeside was a brand sold by Montgomery Ward back in the day. Apparently the tools were manufactured by Stanley. The handles were generally made of stained beech rather than rosewood, and the blades are supposedly a little thinner than the regular Stanley blades. All sources I could find say that Lakeside planes are fairly scarce, and make pretty good users if they are in good shape.

Edward Mitton
09-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Forgot to mention....I also picked up a 6 inch grinding wheel as part of this haul. With a reducer bushing, this should work fine on my hand crank grinder.

Judson Green
09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Good finds on the tools. The yard sales, around here, have pretty much dried up for the year.

Jim Koepke
09-23-2013, 2:21 PM
The try square with the sticker is a bit odd. Usually the decal is worn off.

Not sure if the collector value is at a premium for such an example.

jtk

Edward Mitton
09-23-2013, 3:24 PM
Here is a 7 1/2 " version I found on the oldtooluser website with only a partial sticker still intact. Asking price is $28

http://www.oldtooluser.com/forsale/images/sno2ms2.JPG (http://www.oldtooluser.com/forsale/images/sno2ms2.JPG)

I may re-think putting this in the tool box as a user, and keep it as a collectible instead. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hilton Ralphs
09-23-2013, 3:32 PM
That's not a pig sticker, just a 1/4" mortise chisel. Then there's a riffler of sorts. Nice bargains!

Edward Mitton
09-23-2013, 4:24 PM
Thanks, Hilton,
I thought that 'pig sticker' was the unofficial name for a mortise chisel.
What tool is the name 'pig sticker' associated with?

Yeah, I always look forward to this man's yard sales. He conducts 2 per year, one in Spring and one in Fall. He is a retired patternmaker who now travels to flea markets and estate sales and buys up wholesale lots of tools, antiques, and other collectibles. He cleans up the tools and sells them for very reasonable prices. Usually his entire driveway and garage floor and wall space is covered with tables absolutely packed with all this stuff. It is very easy to spend two hours or better browsing and still not see everything. A very good portion of my Neander tool collection has come from his yard sales.

Hilton Ralphs
09-23-2013, 4:36 PM
Thanks, Hilton,

They look like this, an English traditional mortise chisel.

Judson Green
09-23-2013, 4:53 PM
Thanks, Hilton,

Yeah, I always look forward to this man's yard sales. He conducts 2 per year, one in Spring and one in Fall. He is a retired patternmaker who now travels to flea markets and estate sales and buys up wholesale lots of tools, antiques, and other collectibles. He cleans up the tools and sells them for very reasonable prices. Usually his entire driveway and garage floor and wall space is covered with tables absolutely packed with all this stuff. It is very easy to spend two hours or better browsing and still not see everything. A very good portion of my Neander tool collection has come from his yard sales.

I'm sure not only good things for sale but also interesting conversation. For me that's part of the fun... mostly. What an excellent service he's providing. Wish there was a guy in my neighborhood doing that. Perhaps I should venture a bit further from home next season.

Mike Hutchison
09-23-2013, 5:33 PM
Good Find/s.
I bought a No. 5 sized Lakeside plane at an estate sale a couple years ago.
Paid $7 I think which was more than I wanted to given the condition the plane was in
at that point. Gave it a general clean-up and citric acid bath. It now is a good user.

Edward Mitton
09-23-2013, 6:47 PM
Hilton,
Thanks very much for the picture.
Now I am fully edu-ma-cated!

Edward Mitton
09-25-2013, 9:57 AM
Did a little research on some of these tools.

The hand saw on the bottom of the first picture posted is a Disston D-12 10 point crosscut saw, 1953 model.

Still haven't figured out the model of the Atkins rip saw. Need to clean up the blade and see if I can find an etching.

The large file pictured is fairly interesting. It is a flat mill file, no taper, the only marking on it is 'AUSTRIA'

The small riffler-style file has markings on it that indicate Swiss manufacture.