PDA

View Full Version : Wireless communication with laser using the USB port?

Roger Lueck
09-22-2013, 10:57 PM
There is considerable distance between where our laser is located and design work is performed (to long for a USB cable). The engraver does not have the capability of installing a network card. Is there a wireless communication that works with USB ports that could be used? If there is a USB system, how reliable is it?

Gary Hair
09-23-2013, 12:04 AM
How about this?
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Meter-Active-Extension-Female/dp/B004AGX4YO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1379908954&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+extender

Dave Sheldrake
09-23-2013, 5:01 AM
I think I can see what you want to do Roger?

Have the Laser as a dumb terminal that has a simple USB wireless terminator fitted?

If so I'd advise against it, better option maybe a small netbook type laptop that connects to your network via wireless then to the laser via USB. (or a cheap pile of junk desktop attached to the laser with a good wireless card)

cheers

Dave

Chris J Anderson
09-23-2013, 5:22 AM
I've just last week started using the following item...

USB Extender, ATEN brand.
Model - UCE60.

It has 2 ends...
- one from my laptop to cat5 office network cable (which you could just use as a long lead if you wish.
- other from laser usb cable to other end of the cat5 cable.

Its plug and play, and works nicely.

Cost in Aussie dollars was about 65 from a computer shop.

Total distance its working thru the network cables in our building is about 30 Metres.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Chris

Mike Lysov
09-23-2013, 6:43 AM
There are USB wireless hubs that claimed to be working with printers but the last time I checked one it was not working very well.
I would go with what Chris has recommended. It is cheap and should work out of the box.

P.S. I actually have one of my lasers connected wirelessly to my laptop. But the laser itself connected to a monitor USB hub and the monitor has wireless connection for everything including video, audio and usb with the laptop.
I believe it is the only monitor model in the whole word now that can be connected wirelessly to any desktop or PC. I do not remember its model number but it is made by Samsung. I have done such a complex setup because of some problems with Spirit GX firmware that suppose to support windows 7. It only works if you unplug and plug a laser USB cable after the laser starts and initialized. With my setup it works without doing anything with the cable. I have already ruined all usb ports on my old laptop because of this plugging/unplugging actions everyday. So this setup is kind of helping me to save my new laptop USB ports.

Roger Lueck
09-24-2013, 5:58 PM
Thank you to all who responded for the suggestions. Currently we use a old laptop with a network card, but would really like to send the file directly to the laser from the computer on which it was created. The logistics of the computer/laser locations are a challenge due to the distance and the computer and laser being in a two different buildings.

Mike Lysov
09-24-2013, 6:06 PM
You can connect the laser to your old laptop and make it available on your network. This way if you have a network you will be able to send a job to the laser from any PC on the same network.

Neville Stewart
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
I use Dropbox for CNC & laser. Also very easy.

Jason Hilton
09-25-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't understand why more laser manufacturers don't include ethernet or wifi communication with their machines. It's very cheap and would provide a lot of versatility.

Dan Hintz
09-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't understand why more laser manufacturers don't include ethernet or wifi communication with their machines. It's very cheap and would provide a lot of versatility.
I can see wi-fi as a bad idea as a built-in feature... poor signal strength (or interference, which would be even more random) would rear its ugly head as some jobs failing from time to time, leading to people complaining the machine is failing. Much less likely to happen with a wired connection.

Mike Troncalli
09-25-2013, 12:51 PM
I use Dropbox for CNC & laser. Also very easy.

I do most of my design work on my 27" mac screen and then save the file to dropbox. I pick up the file on the laptop attached to the laser and go from there. It is a perfect solution for me. I also agree with what Dan said, running a laser over WiFi could lead to some issues.

Dave Sheldrake
09-25-2013, 2:52 PM
I can see wi-fi as a bad idea as a built-in feature... poor signal strength (or interference, which would be even more random) would rear its ugly head as some jobs failing from time to time, leading to people complaining the machine is failing. Much less likely to happen with a wired connection.

Very much so, the RF signature from a DC tube is surprisingly strong.

cheers

Dave