PDA

View Full Version : New LV Honing Jig

Alan Turner
05-31-2005, 4:25 PM
I just received the new LV Catalog. On the back cover is a new honing jig. Has anyone here yet test driven this new guide? Looks interesting, and I am tempted, but wondered if anyone has any hands on with it. Thanks.

Jim Becker
05-31-2005, 4:40 PM
I saw that, Alan, and am also interested in learning more about it. It looks like there will be some terrific repeatablity with that included angle gauge that actually looks easy to use.

Maurice Ungaro
05-31-2005, 4:48 PM
I'm tempted to give my current Veritas shrpening guide to my brother so I can justify getting this new Mk II. Looks like they nailed it.

Bob Johnson2
05-31-2005, 5:34 PM
It looks like it fixes the 2 problems I had with the previous model, getting it square and being able to put the tool back at on the guide at the same angle.

I just ordered the set so I'll let you know how I make out if I don't see anyone else pipe in.

Mariellen Lindsay
05-31-2005, 9:53 PM
I believe there is a review of the new LV honing guide on Wood Central. I think I saw it last week sometime. The name of the poster was Derek.

Marc Hills
05-31-2005, 10:09 PM
I believe there is a review of the new LV honing guide on Wood Central. I think I saw it last week sometime. The name of the poster was Derek.Hi Mariellen:

Welcome to the Creek! You're quite right, Derek Cohen, our mate from Downunder, has been evaluating a pre-release model of the Mk II. I believe he like it quite a bit; particularly the way it handles the two bugbears Bob referred to: repeatability and squaring the blade. Curiously, Derek thought the blade clamping mechanism, while quite functional, was no more effective, and maybe even a little less so than the Mk. I.

In fairness to Veritas, the blade clamping mechanism of the Mk. II appears to be designed to accomodate a wider variety of blade sizes and shapes.

As a freehand sharpener who often ponders what levels of sharpening accuracy I'm missing without a guide, I have to say it: does anyone else think that $50 is a lot to pay for a honing guide?

Bob Johnson2
05-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Costs about that to go out to a movie, fill the gas tank, get a carton of cigarettes, or 10 bf of maple, in perspective it's not to me. Course I can't free hand, everything comes out rounded.

What I'd hate to figure out is how much I've spent over the years looking for the best sharpening medium. I think I spent over $50 for a single grit diamond plate.

John Miliunas
05-31-2005, 10:27 PM
I pre-ordered mine almost a couple weeks ago. Just chompin' at the bit to get my mitts on it! All indications are that it should indeed be a nice piece. Oh, and Marc, though $50.00 is a chunk 'o change, I've seen others go even higher! :eek: LOTS higher! Like Bob J said, this one appears to hit a couple sore points I had with the original. (I never thought the angle jig, that came with the set, was all that accurate.) Guess we'll see and, if Bob J or someone else doesn't post first about it, I'll give a review a shot!:) :cool:

Dan Forman
06-01-2005, 3:50 AM
Has anyone had problems trying to shape the blade on the current LV jig? By this I mean grind a bit of a curve into it by alternately putting more pressure on each of the outside corners toward the end of the honing process. There is a word for that, but it escapes me at the moment. (camber?)

It's easy enough to do with the eclipse type due to the narrow guide wheel, but does the wide wheel of the LV inhibit this?

Rob Lee
06-02-2005, 3:51 PM
Hi Mariellen:

(snip)
Curiously, Derek thought the blade clamping mechanism, while quite functional, was no more effective, and maybe even a little less so than the Mk. I.

(snip)

Hi Mark -

Derek actually had the very first pre-production guide assembled, and not the production clamp jaw.... As did all of the first 5 or 6 testers.

The new guide actually clamps much more securely than the previous one...

So - his comment were correct for the one he had, but not really indicative of the production....

Cheers -

Rob