PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Paul Williams
09-22-2013, 4:25 PM
My cousin from Maui set me this wood from a friend of hers. Now I have to come up with something worthy of the wood.271474

charlie knighton
09-22-2013, 4:36 PM
looks like bowls and plates, course you could also do a cairn box, enjoy

Paul Gilbert
09-22-2013, 5:51 PM
I have a niece in Hawaii and I have always wondered what it would cost to ship wood from Hawaii to Texas and if there would be any regulatory hurdles from the USDA of Forrest Service to leap. Would you share your experience?

The last time I was there the big Norfolk Island Pine in there front yard was missing. They had it cut down and hauled off the the land fill.

david milton
09-22-2013, 5:53 PM
nice blocks! koa and pheasant are two of my top favorite woods. cant wait to move back to hawaii, and use all the wood that is easier accsesed over there. i havent been able to figure out how to post new content in the forum. any tips?

Paul Williams
09-22-2013, 6:07 PM
Paul, that was one USPS large flat rate box shipped from Maui to Minnesota for $16.95.

Paul Williams
09-22-2013, 6:09 PM
David, I am no expert at posting, but if you are at the "Turner's Forum" level, I. e. not on and individual thread you will see a post new thread button in the upper left side of your screen. Push that and you are ready to type in a new thread.

Mike Cruz
09-22-2013, 8:15 PM
Paul, since all of that was in a large flat rate box, I'd say they would make good pens, bottle stoppers, peppermills, or any of the other things that "kits" require smaller stock from...like shavers, pizza cutters, etc.

That sure is some pretty wood!

Thomas Canfield
09-22-2013, 9:27 PM
Flat rate boxes is the way to ship wood from HI, but limits what you can ship. Wood looks good, but I am allergic to Poison Ivy and woods that exhibit the same reaction. Visiting HI once at a turning club meeting, a member pulled out a Silky Oak piece from a bag that he had sanded that morning and my skin started to react from about 20' away. Just a word of caution. The Koa and Phesant Wood are great wood and look forward to your choice of turnings.