PDA

View Full Version : Fly-Fishing Gloat

Jim Stastny
05-31-2005, 3:21 PM
Last week I attended a minister's conference. Each year it is held at a located on the banks of the Yellow Breeches Creek in PA. Due to this fact I and several of my colleagues bring along our fly-fishing gear. We spend our free time down on the water whipping it to a frothy foam.

On Wednesday, during our 3 1/2 hour lunch we fished the “run”, a short, narrow, shallow, section filled with trout you can see, trout so accustomed to fishermen they hardly spook. I dedicated my self to helping a neophyte fly-fisherman catch a trout. Within the first half-hour he caught a nice 14” brookie. At that point I decided to start doing a little angling myself. Using the short-line nymphing technique and a woolly-bugger I caught a couple of 10” rainbows. THEN IT HAPPENED, something grabbed my fly, it would not let go, in trying to land this leviathan my rod actually bent completely in half. When the battle ended I released a 17” brookie with a big, hooked jaw, and a girth as big as my calf. He easily weighed 3 pounds. :D

I gently released him back into the water and made sure he could swim away (this was all catch and release water). Can't wait to return next year and see if he grew any. ;)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-31-2005, 3:23 PM
No pics, didn't happen!!

Glad you had fun though :)

Jim Stastny
05-31-2005, 3:39 PM
[QUOTE=Jeff Sudmeier]No pics, didn't happen!!

Nobody had a camera with them :(

But I can get sworn affidavits ;)

Rich Konopka
05-31-2005, 3:42 PM
JIm,

Nice Catch !!!

Next time you get a new cell phone get one with a camera and you will never be without a camera the next time you catch a 4 pounder;)

Regards

Kevin Beck
05-31-2005, 3:43 PM
Aren't ministers supposed to be fishers of men instead of fishermen :D

Glad you caught a big trout and that you let him go so you can catch him again next year.

Kevin

Kevin Herber
06-03-2005, 7:39 AM
A Minister telling fishing stories. Now THAT is a challenge to your vows!!

Wow, 17" and 3 lbs - Great catch! I bet there's a disposable camera in your vest from now on.

-- Kevin

Chad Pater
06-03-2005, 9:09 AM
I like the part about the 3 1/2 hour lunch :) Nice catch though. You didn't miss any of the conference did you? We could give a short quiz.... :)
Chad

Steven Wilson
06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a great day. I haven't been able to launch my boat for a couple of weeks because my cardiologist doesn't want me to lift anything heavy for a month while I recover from a procedure. Anyhow, I can still fly fish !!! It is great fun casting a rod I built, delivering a fly I tied to a warry brown trout and still foolin' him into biting. My son (7) also had good luck on a spinning rod casting a small spinner bait (like a Mepps 00) that he made (tied the deer hair, I assembled) to a good size brown trout (24") that resides under a fallen tree.