PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid RS4512 10" TS and an Excalibur 40-070 Cast Iron router top/TS wing?

Brandon Ketchum
09-21-2013, 8:37 AM
I have come accross a blog that described using the Excalibur 40-070 cast iron TS wing with a Ridgid TS, different model, but same specs in regard to the space available for the additional cast iron router top. Has anyone used this combination, and if so, did you run into any problems? I will be mounting a Freud FT1702VCE w/ plate insert onto the table. I am a beginner, and feel that I would be better off purchasing the router table top versus fabricating some type of router table top on my own, and fitting it to my TS. Any advice or insight on the matter would be very helpful. Thank you

Rick Markham
09-22-2013, 12:57 PM
I had an old Rigid 3624(I think that was the 4512 predecessors model number) that I had put a Bench dog Tools Cast Iron top on, it went on with no modifications (if my memory serves.) I still use it, it's been a fantastic router table top. The Table saw is long gone and replaced with a grizzly slider, but the Rigid's mobile base became the cast iron router table stand. It turned out to be a great tool for me to have started with.

Brandon Ketchum
09-22-2013, 5:10 PM
When you mounted your router, what kind of lift did you use? Are lifts required when mounting a router to a table or woud I be alright without one?

Rick Markham
09-23-2013, 12:51 AM
I opted for a Woodpecker PRL v2 router lift, for awhile I used my Bosch 1617EVS Plunge router I have since upgraded to a Porter Cable 7518 (I purchased a replacement motor only.) It's been a very nice combination, and I can't complain. Some people can get by just fine without a router lift. I personally tend to do much better work, and enjoy it more if the tool is easy for me to use, as well as consistently accurate. The lift really makes life simple and accurate, much less set up time/frustration IMHO.