PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail saws: Stumpy vs long?

Andy Williams
09-21-2013, 8:07 AM
What are the advantages to a shorter dovetail saw, like the pax, or like several old styles...These have a deeper depth of blade but a shorter one, sometimes only 6 -7 inches.

Is there any reason one of these might be prefered over the more common longer dovetail saw with a shallow depth of cut?

David Weaver
09-21-2013, 8:29 AM
I don't know of one. The only way you'd want a deeper plate is if your saw had a really low hang on the handle.

The 8 and 10 inch standard high handle hang dovetail saws with fairly shallow plates are, in my opinion, the nicest to use.

Chris Griggs
09-21-2013, 8:39 AM
10 inches is the magic number for me for a dedicated dovetail saw, but I'm also quite fond of 11-12". Anything shorter than 10" always just felt too short dinky. The shallower plates are nice though, I just don't like short.

Randy Karst
09-21-2013, 12:01 PM
I find 8" too short for the work I do; 9" is a significant improvement, and 10" is very nice. I rarely if ever use my Adria 8" anymore (due to size and in protest of lack of support by the maker), occasionally use an old 8" Freud, but really enjoy both my Winsor 9" (10" was unavailable when ordered, in fact the 9" was custom) and my LN 10" thin-plate (coin toss goes to the LN, primarily due to the thin kerf and less the extra inch, though definitely appreciated). I notice the advantage going from the 8" to the 9" more than I note it between 9" and 10").

Tom Vanzant
09-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Randy, how do you like your Winsor 9"? Their entire line looks very well thought-out. How about actual use?

Randy Karst
09-21-2013, 1:02 PM
Tom,
In practice, it is very similar to the LN and is now offered in a 10" version. I can switch between my LN and the Winsor with hardly a thought, the two are so similar in fit and feel. Quality is at least as good as the LN (plus you can customize it); the Winsor arrives very sharp, easy to start the cut, tracks true in the kerf-easy to use, and excellent support by the maker. Its a very nice saw, just wish they offered a thin plate version. Mine has the Fiddleback Walnut handle - beautiful! (I am not affiliated in any way with the manufacturer).

Roy Lindberry
09-21-2013, 9:31 PM
What are the advantages to a shorter dovetail saw, like the pax, or like several old styles...These have a deeper depth of blade but a shorter one, sometimes only 6 -7 inches.

Is there any reason one of these might be prefered over the more common longer dovetail saw with a shallow depth of cut?

I like my saw long enough to cut the doves in one stroke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OQ1bWD-4jo

Jim Matthews
09-23-2013, 7:07 AM
In practice, I'm cutting with the last third of the teeth on most dovetail saws.

I'm inaccurate as a result of the oscillation.
Longer saws seem to track better for me.

I like a saw no shorter than 14".

Jim Matthews
09-23-2013, 7:09 AM
I like my saw long enough to cut the doves in one stroke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OQ1bWD-4jo

Somebody in Maine has been watching the 1APR videos from Ottawa.

Hilton Ralphs
09-23-2013, 7:41 AM
Generally speaking this is NOT the conversation most men will hold. Having said that, I have a Footprint 20ppi (+/-) dovetail saw that is rather short in length but has more depth than my Lie-Nielsen 15ppi. I'm pretty sure that a longer saw is more efficient (thinking stroke here).

Adam Cruea
09-23-2013, 7:52 AM
i like my saw long enough to cut the doves in one stroke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oq1bwd-4jo

that is awesome!

Take my money! Now! :-p

Andrew Pitonyak
09-23-2013, 1:43 PM
Saw weight can be an issue. I own a couple of saws that I use. When cutting through 2" of wood, I like a bigger saw. When cutting through 3/8" wood, I prefer a smaller saw. The larger saw weighs more so I prefer the smaller saw for smaller work.

Jim Koepke
09-23-2013, 2:45 PM
There are a few things to consider including the saw plate depth. Too tall and it has a tendency to tip side to side.

The shorter saws may be easier for some to control a piston like movement.

Currently my favorite saw for dovetail cutting is my 10" Jackson. It is old and beat up, missing a few teeth, but it works for me.

jtk

Bill White
09-24-2013, 12:15 PM
I guess that my W. Butcher 11" needs to be represented in here.:D
Bill

Hilton Ralphs
09-24-2013, 3:15 PM
Just went out to the workshop to try and get a comparison. My short but deep Footprint now seems rather awkward since getting the LN dovetail saw. I now prefer the longer stroke of the LN and boy does she cut quickly. I mean literally one stroke in hardwood.