PDA

View Full Version : Portable air tank.

Dave Lehnert
09-20-2013, 9:01 PM
Want a portable air tank so I do not have to drag out the compressor every time a car or mower tire needs a little air. Interested in the 5 gal size but will I be sorry I did not get the 10gal?

Dave Zellers
09-20-2013, 10:08 PM
I think mine is 8 gallons but I love it. 5 does sound a little small. I use it for tires as you said but also small trim tasks. I can shoot maybe 2 dozen 18 ga brads on a fill. I also made a double male fitting because it's easier to fill that way.

Get the 10.:D

Jim Neeley
09-20-2013, 10:43 PM
If you want to go "on the cheap", some buy small dead compressors/tank on CL and strip off the compressor unit. That gives them a tank on wheels, if that's a virtue for you.

Stephen Cherry
09-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Harbor freight? Or craigslist?

Rich Engelhardt
09-21-2013, 8:24 AM
Nothing says you can't get both....
Aside from that however, you might wish to let your compressor make the decision.

I have a 5 gal tank that I plumb inline with either my 4 gallon twin "hot dog" or 7 gallon Coleman when I want more air reserve.
I've tried the tank on both of my smaller "mouse" compressors (1 gallon Coleman and 3 gallon Evolv) just for giggles.
The wait time for the tank on the smaller machines is ridiculous.
It's not bad at all on the other machines - but - I don't believe the Coleman would be happy trying to keep air in 17 gallons of storage.(had I bought a 10 gallon tank)

As far as using the aux tank as a portable, I have to confess I never do that anymore. It's rather pointless for the most part.
The 3 gallon Evolv gives me enough air to pump up a tire or shoot a couple brads or staples & it has the benefit of being able to run at the end of an extension cord if I need more that a few squirts of air.
Since I bought it, my aux tank has been pretty much collecting dust.

Wayne Lovell
09-21-2013, 8:31 AM
The 10 gallon Harbor Freight weighs a ton, I think the 5 gallon would do what you say you want to do.

george newbury
09-21-2013, 11:24 AM
I use the 5 gallon HF, it's ideal for me.

Bruce Page
09-21-2013, 12:08 PM
I have an 8 gal Sanborn tank that measures about 10" diameter X 30" long. I think I would prefer the smaller 5 gal size.

Dave Zellers
09-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Just checked mine and it's a 5 gal after all. So I agree with the others that for portability the 5 is the way to go. A tank twice this size would be huge.

Michael W. Clark
09-21-2013, 12:37 PM
I have a small Cambell Hausfield tank, 5 gallon I think. Even it can be cumbersome, so can't imagine a 10 gallon. I can usually top off a couple of tires on my truck or maybe three car tires if they are not too low. I also did a double male fitting with ball valve to make filling easier like Dave mentioned.

A couple of years ago, I ran air up to the garage, really don't use the tank anymore after that.

Stephen Cherry
09-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Also, let's not count out a good old fashioned hand pump. THe right one can fill a lawn mower tire, or top off a car tire, all while providing a little exercise.

Steve Peterson
09-22-2013, 2:04 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank that seems to be just the right size. It is easy to carry it to the kids bikes to fill several tires. L also use it at the lathe when I need a quick blast of air to clear dust out of the inside of a bowl. 10 gallons lasts long enough.

I think I paid about $40 for it at one of the big box stores. Added a double ended male fitting with a short chain on the handle so it is always nearby when it is time to fill.

I like the suggestion to buy a broken compressor for really cheap to get a large tank with wheels.

Steve