PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else upgrade to IOS-7?

Mike Henderson
09-20-2013, 8:08 PM
I upgraded my iPhone to IOS-7 and found it's not that different than the earlier releases. So far, I've had no problems.

If you upgraded, did you find any particularly nice new features? I found a bubble level which you get to by going to "compass" and swiping the compass to the left.

Or did you find any problems, either with the upgrade or after you upgraded?

Mike

Matt Meiser
09-20-2013, 8:15 PM
I upgraded my iPhone 5 and iPad 2--haven't noticed any problems and I told my daughter she can do her iPhone 4 tomorrow. Their computer teacher told them they could update the iPads at school yesterday.

The new appearance reminds me of MS Office 2013! I like the new way of switching/turning off apps. The control center is a little hard to get to if you use an Otterbox Defender case. I don't like that it changed some of my sounds. And one of the nice new features, call blocking, is missing a major feature--the ability to block "Unknown" or "Blocked" calls. :(

Bruce Page
09-20-2013, 8:19 PM
SWMBO upgraded her iPad and has some programs that will no longer load.
I will wait awhile before upgrading mine..

Rich Enders
09-20-2013, 8:37 PM
+1 An iPhone 4 upgraded seamlessly today. No issues. This week end we will upgrade a 5, and an iPad.

Brian Kerley
09-20-2013, 9:02 PM
Upgraded my wife's iPhone 4s last night....she's not a fan of the changes.

Dick Latshaw
09-20-2013, 10:30 PM
No real problems. Upgraded my wife's and my iPhone 5 yesterday. Evernote could not find my wife's data. Deleted the app, reinstalled, and it worked fine. I like the new control center. My wife likes the fact that Siri can turn Bluetooth on and off, instead of digging through the settings menu.

Phil Thien
09-20-2013, 11:28 PM
I haven't done much exploring yet, but I sorta like what I've seen.

I had been hoping they'd add mouse support in IOS 7, but nope.

Matt Marsh
09-21-2013, 6:25 AM
All of the maintenance personnel at the University where I work use iPads for our work order system. Most of us upgraded yesterday. I also inherited my wife's iPad and have upgraded that one too.

The "look" seems to have a bit less color, especially in mail. Bookmarks moved from top left to top right on the screen in Safari. AirDrop is neat for sharing photos. I like the iTunes Radio the best. I have been subscribing to Pandora for the last couple years, I'll listen to both for awhile to see which one I prefer. I ordered a new 5S through Verizon yesterday, it's due to ship on the 24th/Tuesday. This will be my first iPhone, I'm actually a little anxious to get it!

James Conrad
09-21-2013, 9:54 AM
Works fine on my iPhone, hate the new design, everything seems blend in color, not going to do it to my ipad until I have to.

Chuck Wintle
09-21-2013, 12:09 PM
I do not own an iphone but instead an ipod touch 4th generation. Apparently they are not supplying IOS 7 to this model but to Gen 5 models only. Apple have abandoned me!

Keith Outten
09-21-2013, 12:27 PM
I upgraded to iOS 7on both my iPad and my phone. Personally I like the new design because it seems to have more contrast which makes it easier to see. I haven't had time to evaluate any of the new features or to decide whether some of the improvements are valuable to me.

I admit that over the last three years I have become a fan of Apple hardware and software so I am looking forward to the OS upgrade to Maverick. Its the integration of desktops, laptops, tablets and phones that I feel makes the transition from Windows/PCs to Apple products attractive. With every upgrade I continue to see how Apple is moving in a direction that improves the overall experience, not to mention the reliability of their products. Certainly Apple products are more expensive but like woodworking machines the pain only lasts for a short period of time and I think their products are the best value over time.

I saw a TV commercial last night where Microsoft is now indicating that they are doing the same thing as Apple however I have pretty much lost faith in both Microsoft and all of the hardware vendors who support the PC venue. FWIW I have always been very happy that SawMill Creek has never run on a Microsoft powered server :)

Biff Johnson
09-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Did the daughters iPad, my iPad and my iPhone. All went perfectly and I really like the new system. Amazing how Apple can pull this huge stunt off, make it backwards compatible and painless. By contrast, every Microsoft update is usually a big headache!

Scott Shepherd
09-21-2013, 4:09 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE the new call BLOCKING feature! It'll block any number you want. Only issue is that it dumps it right to voicemail instead of actually blocking it, but it's better than nothing.

Also, the photo section is great now. You can click on "Photos" instead of "Albums" when you have your photo thingy opened, and "Photo". It lets you see photos by year, place, date, etc, all grouped. You can clock on any of them and say "Share" and it lets you share all the photos from that event, or you can select certain ones and text, mail, or do other things with them. Really helpful.

Mike Cutler
09-21-2013, 8:37 PM
I found a bubble level which you get to by going to "compass" and swiping the compass to the left.

Mike

I just saw a photo on the web where that APP was being used, with an iPad by Syrian Rebels, to aim a Mortar Tube on a battlefield.:eek:

I'll wait a bit too upgrade my iPhone and iPad. Let 'em work the bugs out a little bit

Keith Outten
09-21-2013, 10:27 PM
I had the chance to use Airdrop this evening. My daughter and I were sharing photos of my grand daughter and one very large video that only took about three minutes to transfer. The photos transfered in just a few seconds and the procedure was a simple task.

Jason Roehl
09-22-2013, 8:24 AM
I won't be upgrading until there's an untethered jailbreak available. ;)

Eric DeSilva
09-22-2013, 9:27 AM
I upgraded my iPhone 5 right after it was available. I'm not a huge fan of the super-white format. I know they are trying to "help" us by removing the outlines around buttons in some apps, but it almost tricks my brain into thinking that I have to be more accurate and concentrate harder to hit things--we'll see if that goes away. I'm trying to get used to the swipe the other way to delete in mail, but I think that one--once I adapt--is actually a better gesture for one handed use. They seemed to have skinny-ed a lot of the fonts, but you can now increase the text size in settings and tell it to render everything in bold, which helps legibility for me on the small phone screen. I am liking the control center concept and the multitasker seems much better as well--dragging the apps you don't want running off screen is a lot easier than the way it used to be. I also like that I can put more items in a folder. Overall, seems OK.

Shawn Pixley
09-22-2013, 11:43 AM
I upgraded my iPhone 5 yesterday. Everything seeems to work well. I saw that they upgraded the "find my iPhone" script to provide better security. We used it a couple times to find SWMBO's phone (once dropped on the beachand covered in sand). I'll give it a couple of days and then upgrade my iPad.

Mike Henderson
09-22-2013, 1:37 PM
I upgraded my iPhone 5 yesterday. Everything seems to work well. I saw that they upgraded the "find my iPhone" script to provide better security. We used it a couple times to find SWMBO's phone (once dropped on the beach and covered in sand). I'll give it a couple of days and then upgrade my iPad.
This might not work for everyone - but my wife and I use "Find my phone" to check on where the other is. So if I get worried about her when she's out shopping (maybe she decided to check out a few new places), I can see where she is. If she's at the mall, I don't worry that she might have gotten in an accident.

Mike

Scott Shepherd
09-22-2013, 6:16 PM
This might not work for everyone - but my wife and I use "Find my phone" to check on where the other is. So if I get worried about her when she's out shopping (maybe she decided to check out a few new places), I can see where she is. If she's at the mall, I don't worry that she might have gotten in an accident.

Mike

Mike, just download the "Find Friends" app from Apple. It's their own software, not some developer. Once you are signed in, it stays signed in and you can see each other. It works well.

George Bokros
09-22-2013, 6:26 PM
Is the "Find Friends" app running all the time?

George

Mike Henderson
09-22-2013, 7:46 PM
I just looked up "Find Friends" at the App Store. Lots of reviews saying it doesn't work on IOS-7. Some pretty upset people.

Mike

Eric DeSilva
09-22-2013, 9:02 PM
Find my iPhone is a fantastic app--I've used it to find SWMBO's phone she dropped in a returned rental car in Jackson Hole (luckily said rental was unlocked in their back parking lot) and even to find it inside the house. The little sonar "ping" you can turn on is really, really handy.

Bill ThompsonNM
09-23-2013, 6:55 AM
Is the "Find Friends" app running all the time? George
No it doesn't run except when you want it. It does seem to run background for a while, that is you can stop and resume and pick up where you left off

Bill ThompsonNM
09-23-2013, 6:57 AM
I just looked up "Find Friends" at the App Store. Lots of reviews saying it doesn't work on IOS-7. Some pretty upset people. Mike

Maybe they missed an update? I use it all the time and just checked and it seems to work fine.
Maybe be an issue if the friend isn 't upgraded?

Dave Sheldrake
09-23-2013, 9:30 AM
Upgraded

3 x ipad 2's
2 x ipad mini's
3 x iphone 4's
6 x ipod touch's

no problems so far, bit of a "light" coloured interface but seems to work well :)

cheers

Dave

Jim Becker
09-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Yes, I updated all my iDevices on the day iOS7 was released. No issues other than slow servers early on. In general, I really like the new release. I also discovered that "level" feature in the Compass app. Very kewel. I'm now looking forward to my upgrade to the 5S from my current iPhone 4 that's two and a half years young...

Dennis Peacock
09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Yes, I upgraded my phone and the LOML's ipad. We both like the new iOS7.

Keith Outten
09-23-2013, 3:23 PM
Geez! My iPad3 doesn't have the airdrop option.

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-23-2013, 3:45 PM
Maybe they missed an update? I use it all the time and just checked and it seems to work fine.
Maybe be an issue if the friend isn 't upgraded?

Works fine for me and LOML. We both have 4S iphones, but only my phone is upgraded to 7. We both use Find Friends on a regular basis and it's working fine on both our phones. What's nice about Find Friends is it is not open to just anyone. You need to send an invite and approve it. It's not like you can "find" anyone that you know has an iphone. You can also temporarily disable it to "hide from followers" so that you can buy a present for your Sweetheart. :-)

I upgraded on the first day and everything has been running great. I do have problems accessing the control center with my Otterbox Defender case, but I figured out how to get around that by placing my finger on the bevel edge and "rolling" my finger down and on to the glass to open the control center. It would have been nice to have the airdrop feature....

The biggest complaint I have is how they "dumbed down" the icons & color options and made all the colors flat and bright compared to all the vivid & textured colors in previous versions; as well as all the new sounds are very synthesized. It makes me think of the books Brave New World and 1984 how everything is the same and thought & creativity is frowned upon.

Jason Roehl
09-23-2013, 5:49 PM
Oh, a bit of a rabbit trail here. One of my pet peeves with all iOS interfaces so far has been the animations. I really only noticed it when I upgraded my iPhones to a newer model (3G > 4 > 5), but those animations are much slower than necessary. That's one reason I don't want to give up my jailbreak--I found an app through Cydia (alternative app installer for jailbroken phones) that allows you to control the speed of the animations throughout the iOS. When I do something on my wife's identical phone that is NOT jailbroken, it feels like it takes forever because I'm waiting on the animations to finish before I can hit the next icon.

Jim Becker
09-23-2013, 7:34 PM
Jason, iOS7 is noticeably "snappier" than the previous releases, even on my iPhone 4. (I've never felt the need to jailbreak my iDevices...it's a stable ecosystem as-is)

Brian Kerley
09-24-2013, 9:45 AM
Jason, iOS7 is noticeably "snappier" than the previous releases, even on my iPhone 4. (I've never felt the need to jailbreak my iDevices...it's a stable ecosystem as-is)

I've noticed the exact opposite. My wife's 4S is MUCH more laggy now. The scrolling through the home screens is not smooth at all. The various animations are slow. You have to wait until the animation finishes until you can do anything. It's just not super-quick like it used to be.

Keith Outten
09-24-2013, 11:25 AM
I recently installed IOS7 on a iPhone 4 that I use in my shop as an MP3 player. It seems pretty snappy to me in spite of its age and the fact that it is a 16 gig model with very little storage space left.

Maybe the speed is hampered by the number of apps installed. Loading a hundred icons would seem to take a lot of processor capacity.

Scott Shepherd
09-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Really liking the iRadio thing too.

Matt Meiser
09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Maybe the speed is hampered by the number of apps installed. Loading a hundred icons would seem to take a lot of processor capacity.

Or just the number of apps running. My daughter came to me in tears a few weeks ago because her display was flickering. I closed all the running apps (lots of them) and it went away.

glenn bradley
09-24-2013, 1:18 PM
iPhone 5 and upgraded. Seems easier to navigate in general. Less Apple-ish. Now if I could just get rid of Safari as the default browser ;-)

Gary Muto
09-24-2013, 7:20 PM
I upgraded my iPhone 4 and iPad Mini over the weekend. I like the features but the graphics seemed kind of cheesy to me. It does seem to respond quicker too.

Jim Becker
09-26-2013, 9:12 PM
FYI, the 7.02 update was released today...it fixes the little lock screen vulnerability and restores the Greek keyboard for those who need it. :)

Randy Rizzo
09-27-2013, 11:00 AM
I had the same Bluetooth issue when I upgraded to IOS6 and IOS7. GMC pickup with OnStar. On an incoming call I should have been able to accept the call by pressing the appropriate steering wheel mounted button and then be able to speak and listen hands free over the OnStar. Instead, the call went to the iPhone and I had to manually transfer audio back to OnStar. I did not immediately associate the fault with my upgrade to IOS6 and we wasted several hours of troubleshooting at the local GMC shop. We paired several phones belonging to techs at the shop, they all functioned as they should, incoming calls were handled via OnStar audio. My phone was the only one that would not connect without manually transferring back to OnStar. On the settings page I hit the "RESET" function and viola! Ops the way they should be. So when it happened after the upgrade to IOS7 that's the first thing I did, hit "RESET" and it's functioning normally. Apparently there is something that changes the Bluetooth settings in the upgrades, exactly what, dunno. But using the reset fixes it. Other than that no issues with 7, I like it.

Myk Rian
09-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Reports are coming in on the news stations that there are many problems with iOS 7.
Especially the navigation that has taken several people onto an airport runway in Alaska.

Many of the features being discussed here have been on Android phones already. Like Apple is trying to "Catch up".
Android rules! :p

Randy Rizzo
09-27-2013, 5:58 PM
IOS7 is what, 3days old? 7.0.2 just came out this PM