PDA

View Full Version : Watermelon Bowl

Glenn Hodges
05-31-2005, 12:01 PM
This poplar bowl 9.5 inches wide X 4 inches high was so bland so I decided to spice it up. What do you think?

Fred Ray
05-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Some sort of "spicing" was certainly appropriate on the bottom. I like the black reveal. I might have gone for something like an antiqed metal sort of a look underneath. The overall shape sort of speaks of an old world bronze urn (to me at least). Regardless, I still like it. Good work!.:)

Mike Ramsey
05-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Glen, very good and i like it a lot! Like looking at different kinds of finishing and that is different! Kinda looks like an upside down lady bug...

John Hart
05-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Very Cool Idea Glenn!..You never cease to amaze me. I have to agree with Mike...Definitely a ladybug!:)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Glen,

I really like that bowl! Painting is not one of my specialties. :) You have done it well here.

Jim Becker
05-31-2005, 1:11 PM
I was a little worried when I saw the title to this thread!! I was imagining...yup... :D

Very interesting and creative treatment. I like it.

RL Johnson
05-31-2005, 7:39 PM
That is a great picture. Keep up the good work, it really made my day.

Glenn Hodges
05-31-2005, 8:12 PM
You have all been very kind with your positive coments. Thanks, I thought if I ever tried this again I would do it with a dye rather than paint. I appreciate your remarks. This is another image.

Ernie Nyvall
06-01-2005, 8:42 AM
Well I fell for this hook, line, and sinker. It looks fun and imaginative. It sure made me smile.

Hey Glenn, if you can do this with dye, I'd sure like to know how or what kind of dye you would use. I just started using dyes and can't seem to keep it from bleeding over even with taping off.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
06-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I have not done much with dyes, I need to learn more before I offer any help to anyone. I think dyes would look better because they would let the grain of the wood show, but I am like you the bleeding has been a problem. This bleeding is why I would only do a one color dye on a piece, but I am sure others could help. I am only thinking outloud without experience, but I wonder if you burned a ring with a wire between the colors if this would keep the bleeding problem down to a minimum?