PDA

View Full Version : Regular vs oval skew

Dan Masshardt
09-20-2013, 6:31 PM
I really like using an oval skew and I'm much better with it than a regular style skew.

What I'm wondering is, am I missing out on something? Are there things a regular skew does much better than the oval version?

Bob Bergstrom
09-20-2013, 7:17 PM
If it works for you it is good. Biggest difference is the oval isn't quite as stout. It rolls easy because of the rounded bottom. You can do the same with a square edge skew just by rolling it across a belt sander until the bottom edge is round.

Dan Masshardt
09-20-2013, 7:42 PM
It also seems like the bevel is a lot longer. The angle at which I hold the tools relative to the spindle is much different.

Maybe being lefty contributes to it?

Regular skew is definitely beefier though. More steel.

Adrian Anguiano
09-23-2013, 11:29 AM
The thing i hate about oval skews is trying to do a fast peeling cut. The skew likes to catch left or right. With a flat skew it peels FAST and without effort. Is that very important? you can use a roughing gouge, parting tool, spindle gouge instead, but if ur the guy who likes to not change tools so often then it could be important.

Dan Masshardt
09-23-2013, 8:41 PM
The thing i hate about oval skews is trying to do a fast peeling cut. The skew likes to catch left or right. With a flat skew it peels FAST and without effort. Is that very important? you can use a roughing gouge, parting tool, spindle gouge instead, but if ur the guy who likes to not change tools so often then it could be important.that is a good comment and the kind of thing I was looking for.

Adrian Anguiano
09-23-2013, 9:36 PM
One more thing is sharpening. On a wolverine you have 2 options. Using the extra 30 buck skew attachment on the V arm. Without it you won't get a nice angle on your skew. You will instead have a flat chisel.

So that leaves you will a platform. But then you have to deal with oval ness making sharpening a perfectly flat skew harder. Even with the skew attachment its hard to get it perfect. And if you want a curved edge its even harder with oval.

Sharpening a flat skew is as easy as sharpening a scraper.

Dan Masshardt
09-24-2013, 8:15 AM
I only use a diamond hone on my oval skew (works great) but your point is valid!