PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Well, another holiday weekend has come and gone.

Not much shop time this weekend due to work related stuff, busted water heater.......did I happen to mention that I HATE plumbing!???!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Any way, I'm oncall for my real job this week, started yesterday morning, and it's already bee 22 hours of work. Got the water heater going very late last night, got the new cloths line up for the LOML. Other than that, that's about all there was. Nothing special.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Spent Saturday and Sunday in 90 degree temps hand tilling and leveling about 1100 sq. ft. of yard to plant grass around shop. Sunday, recovered and did sand and get another coat of poly on part of the oak buffet I'm finishing.

Don Baer
05-31-2005, 12:17 PM
I finished assembling an Oak dresser that I am making for my grand daugher. Next I need to stain and finish it. I should have it completed this comming week end. I'll post some pix when it is done.

:D

Donnie Raines
05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Lots of yard work this weekend. Bought some more lumber and even played some golf. Some serious grill time and even a nap.... :cool:

John Hart
05-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Went hunting for turning blanks to sell. Found a truckload, so we prepped and sealed wood all day saturday...Got the shop cleaned up on Sunday...Turned a Walnut Bowl on Monday. Definitely a Wood-Oriented weekend!! Ahhhhhh:)

John Miliunas
05-31-2005, 12:51 PM
"Played" in the dirt most of the weekend. Major re-do of landscaping around part of the house. Did manage to do a super-tuneup on my LN #4, though. Sweet!:) Hope everyone has a great week!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Not a whole lot of shop time here either. I did manage to pick up some wood for the next project.

The weekend was spent outdoors with friends and family. All in all a great weekend!

Jim Becker
05-31-2005, 1:05 PM
Laid a flagstone walkway improvement and started on my workbench cabinet, both documented in other threads. Other than that...quiet weekend. The 'rents were up from Florida until Sunday as they had a wedding to attend on Saturday. DVD of the week was Ray. Like all the others, this holiday weekend was about three weeks too short!! :D

Jonathan Szczepanski
05-31-2005, 1:27 PM
1. I'm in the process of building new doors for my parents' shed. I've never done this before so it is a hands-on lesson. This weekend I finished making the doors. Now I need to hang them.

2. Did some repair work on the deck to get it ready for staining.

Michael Ballent
05-31-2005, 2:12 PM
After working for 3 solid weeks (including weekends) I finally got some time to organize the shop. First step completed was installing the Triton wood racks and putting all my wood on them. Ended up buying 3 sets. Pics later after the shop is cleaned up better :D

Brian Austin
05-31-2005, 2:29 PM
Wandered away from this site too long, I think... ;)

Did too much shopping on Saturday. This camera stuff is addicting. Later, I looked at what might end up being my first woodworking "commission", although I use that term loosely here. Gate and decorative fence for a small section of wall. I haven't decided on taking it yet or not.

Took the dog and wife...er....wife and dog and wandered up to Prescott Sunday AM for the art show. The spunky, 16-month old German Shepherd did well (her first art show). Wife did, too. Picked up a nice small, metal bench and table for the front patio.

Worked on the shop on Monday. Added some of the Reflectix insulation under the roof sheathing. Between that and the R-13 + paneled walls, I'm hoping to avoid a full ceiling. I like the open look of the exposed rafters. With the 18K BTU a/c running most of the summer days (the dog's kennel sits on the end of the shop and it keep her a cool 85 compared to 110 outside), though, efficiency is a factor on the electric bill.

Matt Meiser
05-31-2005, 2:30 PM
Friday and Saturday we had a garage sale to clean out a lot of the junk we've accumulated. Did maintenance on my tractor, installed my window AC unit, and a little landscaping work. I did get a little time in sanding the panels for the buffet I'm building and turned a rosewood handle for a rasp I bought. We also spent a lot of time doing family stuff which was good.

JayStPeter
05-31-2005, 2:45 PM
The deck is starting to look like a deck. Also had a cookout and played with the kids some.

Jay

Lee DeRaud
05-31-2005, 2:51 PM
Rockler run on Friday...is it even possible to get out of there without spending >$100 :eek: ?!? Did a ton of yard work and "maintenance" chores around the house, then GF and I went to a friend's wedding on Saturday night. Sunday was an odd mix: glued a piece of flame mahogany veneer to some 1/4" MDF to test the Titebond contact adhesive and also try the "David Marks finish" (all from the Friday Rockler buy), interspersed with watching the race and making a CD of the wedding pictures I took. Yesterday was mostly sitting outside and catching up on some reading.

Speaking of the race, Danica Patrick doesn't look old enough to have a driver's license, much less wrestle an IRL car around...but she's a lot easier on the eyes than AJ Foyt.:cool:

Dave Anderson NH
05-31-2005, 2:56 PM
I took off early Thursay morning to go to Fairport NY and visit my parents and other family in the area. Friday my Dad and I spent the day touring the Genessee Country Village and Museum which is 1830-1840 version of Sturbridge Village in a western NY setting. Lots of great buildings and craft people demonstrating. As always, I treasured the chance to spend a full day alone with my Dad. Visited with one of my sisters and her family on Saturday and drove home Sunday to avoid the end of weekend rush. Monday I spent in the shop and this morning it was back to work. A great family weekend.

Garry Smith
05-31-2005, 3:03 PM
Finished the second bathroom vanity. mirror frame and cabinet for above the stool. This for updates for our house. Seems like a never ending adventure.
Next up is new deck railing system.
Anyone with spare time out there?
Garry

Dan Oelke
05-31-2005, 3:27 PM
Spent the weekend camping on some land we have. On Sunday went for a walk through part of the wood lot that burned a couple of years ago. We really need to go through there and clean out some stuff. BUT as we were surveying the state of the trees (woodworking tie in) I almost stepped on this.

Chip Olson
05-31-2005, 3:48 PM
My workplace moved this weekend, starting Friday, so it was a 4-day weekend fro me, albeit a surprisingly busy one. Saturday we went to a friend's wedding; this is a somewhat bohemian couple (like most of my friends), so the reception was a potluck and featured contra dancing. The small one (almost 5 months) very clearly had a complete blast despite the loud music and tons of people; I think we've got a little extrovert on our hands.

Sunday I went and helped move servers and set up racks at the new workplace, and then in the evening we went to another wedding reception— they had gotten married in Chicago the previous weekend, so they had another reception for their local friends. It was at a downtown nightlclub, so small one stayed with his grandma and we had our first grownup date in far too long.

Oh, woodworking? Well, I cut the hinge mortises for the basement door I'm installing, and did some shop cleanup. Concluded I didn't like the phenolic ZCI I'd gotten from Rockler (it reeked of burning plastic every time I used it, and was slightly warped), so I replaced it with an MDF one I'd previously made. Also finished the test piece for the finish on the cabinets (four coats of water-base over one of BLO), and was well pleased with the results.

Kevin Beck
05-31-2005, 3:48 PM
Continued the never-ending master bathroom remodel from heck. I've been working on this off-and-on (mostly off) since February. I have it mostly done, shouldn't be more than a few more months (I told the spousal unit next week) before I'm finished.

Determined that I am indeed the worst sheetrock finisher in Florida if not the universe. If I wasn't pretty decent at laying tile I guess the LOML would have to fire me :)

Kevin

Garry Smith
05-31-2005, 4:16 PM
Continued the never-ending master bathroom remodel from heck. I've been working on this off-and-on (mostly off) since February. I have it mostly done, shouldn't be more than a few more months (I told the spousal unit next week) before I'm finished.

Determined that I am indeed the worst sheetrock finisher in Florida if not the universe.

This sounds like my dream, only I had two bathrooms.

Scott Coffelt
05-31-2005, 4:51 PM
I extened mine to a four day weekend. Picked up some more sheet goods for the kitchen construction... Yard work... spent money on stuff for the new house (Home Expo is going out of biz and they have some stuff I wanted)...

A very nice evening with the wife and a friend Saturday night, we went to the Skies resturant in KC (a revolving resturant on top of the Hyatt) for drinks and snacks (hor'dervs) and then dinner on the Country Club Plaza.

More running around, then I replaced a kitchen sink and faucet... I am with you Dennis, I hate plumbing.

Finally, a round of golf... I mean practice.... it started well, but really went down hill in the middle and then finished good.... thus the practice comment. Only my second round of the year, so what do you expect.

Back to work today :o

Vaughn McMillan
05-31-2005, 5:13 PM
I spent the long weekend puttering around the house, including a bit of yard work and getting the dogs vaccinated. I also installed a new motherboard on my main home computer (which also handles a lot of work-related stuff) and got most of the applications re-installed.

Shop-wise, I did the final bits on a crosscut sled and fence extension I've been working on, glued up and rough-sanded the pieces for a maple/walnut/cherry/purpleheart paper towel rack for the LOML, and nearly finished sanding on a couple more cutting boards for sale. I also made my first box joint jig and did a little pine test box that came out pretty good for a first try.

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
05-31-2005, 6:46 PM
Busy weekend. I took off today to catch up on some rest, and finish some of the projects.

Let's see, in addition to buying the "1/2 off" metal cutting bandsaw (see gloat posted on Friday (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20704)) I got to use it today! First I installed the hydraulic feed cylinder to check it out. Man that thing is smooth. I still have to get some coolant, and try it with that. But it worked great on cutting some rigid conduit.

Most of Sat, Sun, and Mon were spent building a gate for the driveway. 2 gates actually, as it is a double. The span is 16'6" between the posts. I was going to build it out of steel, but I had a rather unusual problem to deal with. The driveway slopes across the width by 13.5". So I decided to build it out of PT wood as a cost effective mockup/temporary gate. It was tricky to build because the gate is racked to follow the slope. The corners of the frame are all half lapped. I didn't want to screw up expensive and heavy steel. The slope was not something I wanted to design around, it really had to built in place. It actually turned out so nice I think I'll keep it. I still have to put in some 4x4 post stops to latch it open.

The rigid conduit I cut on the saw is for the drivway too. I did the final install on that today. It's for a future automatic gate opener. I had to have a way to get the (low voltage) power from one side of the gate to the other. A couple of weeks ago I made a couple of saw cuts in the asphalt across the driveway about 2" apart, and about 1.5" deep. The conduit lays in the dug out channel. I packed blacktop patch in the channel to hold the conduit in place, but we are getting the driveway resurfaced in a couple of weeks, so it'll have another 2" of asphalt over top of it soon. BTW, this is the heavy wall conduit. It'll hold up to the traffic.

I also worked on my small Mantis 2 stroke tiller to get it running (old gas varnish problems). The wife did a little tilling in the garden with it. But I did the rest with the tractor mounted 3 point tiller. Much faster, and easier I think.

We did get to cook up and eat some ribs on Monday!