PDA

View Full Version : BOC Castle

Steve Schlumpf
09-20-2013, 1:11 PM
A couple of weeks ago I received the following email from the organizers of the upcoming Ohio symposium which is being held Oct 11 – 13.

The Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild has been in support of the Beads of Courage program. We are offering the opportunity for Symposium attendees to share in the joy of providing a wooden box for a child in hospital care.

For anyone that would be donate a turned box for this program and bring it to the Symposium to display in the Instant Gallery we will give them an entry into a drawing that will take place at the Symposium auction on Saturday night.

Please take a look at the attached link and see if you would be willing to make something for this worthy cause.

http://www.beadsofcourage.org/pages/woodworkers.htm

I have often considered turning a lidded box for the program but seeing as how there are no participating hospitals in my area, I had no idea on what to do or how to get the finished turning to them. I figured the symposium solves all those problems and I had no reason not to at least try and come up with something!

Because of the time, I was limited to the dry wood I already had on hand. While I can turn hollow forms in my sleep, I wanted something that would play to a child’s imagination! I hope the finished product will make some child happy!

271324 271325 271326 271327
271328 271329 271330 271331

The castle is maple and stands 9 5/8” high. The body is 5 ¼” in diameter x 7 1/8” high x ¼” thick. The top is 7 1/8” in diameter x 3/16” thick. The lines were burned into the maple, color is TransTint that was painted on and the words were written with archival type pens. It has multiple coats of wipe-on poly, was hand rubbed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

While the castle has a lot of blocks, many were left blank in the hopes that the child will personalize their castle by adding additional words or colors as they see fit.

As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Dale Miner
09-20-2013, 1:15 PM
Looks good, and for a good cause.

Scott Hackler
09-20-2013, 2:27 PM
Very nice Steve. Thanks for participating in this fantastic cause. I know some kid will be smiling on the day they receive this!

steven carter
09-20-2013, 2:44 PM
The kid in me is smiling, and I am sure it will bring many more smiles to the King or Queen of this castle. Great idea!

Harry Robinette
09-20-2013, 4:30 PM
Very nice Steve, I hope to get one done for Ohio Valley see you there.

John Keeton
09-20-2013, 4:37 PM
Steve, it really looks great!! Some of you folks really come up with unique ideas for BOC projects. Wish I had that kind of creativity!

I certainly look forward to seeing this one in person.

charlie knighton
09-20-2013, 7:14 PM
cool, well done and for a good causse, enjoy the symposium