PDA

View Full Version : Fitting A Cabinet In A Tight Space?

Derek Arita
09-19-2013, 10:20 PM
This is something I could never figure out...I have to build a cabinet that is going to fit between two walls. How do I fit the face frame tightly to the walls. I know it has to do with scribing, but how exactly is it done with this face frame? I could use quarter round to cover the gap, but it would be nice to scribe it to the walls.

Jason White
09-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Here's how I do it...

1. Center the cabinet box (without the face frame) in-between the walls and fasten it down.
2. Tack your left stile onto the left side of the cabinet with it just kissing the wall. Do the same with the right stile. A headless pinner works great for this, but I suppose you could use hot glue or double-sided tape. The point is you just want a temporary bond.
3. Scribe both stiles.
4. Remove left & right stiles from the cabinet box and make your scribed cuts (back beveling with a jigsaw is always a good idea) and then tack both stiles to the cabinet again with your scribed cuts now tight to the wall on each side.
5. Measure and/or mark and cut your top and bottom rails to length so they fit in-between the left and right stiles.
6. Remove the left and right stiles that you tacked to the cabinet and assemble your face frame together with pocket screws or biscuits or whatever.
7. Permanently attach the face frame to the cabinet and your done.

Derek Arita
09-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Here's how I do it...

1. Center the cabinet box (without the face frame) in-between the walls and fasten it down.
2. Tack your left stile onto the left side of the cabinet with it just kissing the wall. Do the same with the right stile. A headless pinner works great for this, but I suppose you could use hot glue or double-sided tape. The point is you just want a temporary bond.
3. Scribe both stiles.
4. Remove left & right stiles from the cabinet box and make your scribed cuts (back beveling with a jigsaw is always a good idea) and then tack both stiles to the cabinet again with your scribed cuts now tight to the wall on each side.
5. Measure and/or mark and cut your top and bottom rails to length so they fit in-between the left and right stiles.
6. Remove the left and right stiles that you tacked to the cabinet and assemble your face frame together with pocket screws or biscuits or whatever.

Jason, thanks. Makes total sense. Having never done it, I just couldn't see it...now I do. Thanks again!

Lee Schierer
09-20-2013, 8:56 AM
It is assumed in the directions provided by Jason that you keep the stiles parallel to each other at all stages of the process. You do not want to cut the top and bottom rails at different lengths. They should be identical in length, other wise hanging a door can be a problem.

Jason White
09-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Correct, and the way I do that is I make sure my vertical stiles are plumb before scribing. That way, they will be plumb after I cut and push them tight to the walls.

It is assumed in the directions provided by Jason that you keep the stiles parallel to each other at all stages of the process. You do not want to cut the top and bottom rails at different lengths. They should be identical in length, other wise hanging a door can be a problem.

Jason White
09-20-2013, 10:49 AM
My pleasure, Derek! Took some trial and error and quite a bit of head scratching before I finally figured it out the first time I did it. ;)

Jason, thanks. Makes total sense. Having never done it, I just couldn't see it...now I do. Thanks again!

Sam Murdoch
09-20-2013, 10:50 AM
For a different system - I usually make my face frames as one assembly and attach to the cabinet with biscuits. In the case of installing between 2 walls I use a few optional approaches -

1) With both walls being plumb and flat - I securely install the cabinet in the center of the opening with the face frame completely attached EXCEPT for 1 stile which I leave loose. This is my "scribe vert". It has been fitted to the cabinet with biscuits and set up to be pocket screwed to the rails of the face frame. There is usually some room at the top behind the face frame to hide a pocket screw from the rail to the stile. Often at the bottom of the cabinet (where there is a baseboard) I pocket screw through the face of the bottom rail into the scribe vert. These screws will be hidden by the baseboard. I scribe the vert until it fits to my satisfaction and then attach it with glue to the cabinet using the biscuits and/or pocket screws for alignment.

In both option 1 and option 2 the "scribe vert(s) are made 1/4" to 1/2" wider than the intended finish stile dimension and it is rabbeted on the wall edge so that I only need sand or plane a 1/4 of the thickness for a close fit.

Option 2 - With both walls a bit out of whack - like fitting between two brick faced walls (I've needed to do that once - stain grade no less. That was a scribe job!) Same technique as for # 1 but with both verts left loose for scribing.

This system has been used with great success for kitchen uppers and floor to ceiling library cabinets and all kinds of cabinetry in between.

Derek Arita
09-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Sam, another great system. I'll have to see which one will work best in my situation. Thanks!

Jim Becker
09-22-2013, 8:14 PM
Here's how I do it...

3. Scribe both stiles.

Bingo! Exactly how I have done it.