PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Finishing Question

George Bokros
09-19-2013, 8:45 AM
I am replacing the shelves in two linen closets, taking out the builder installed wire shelves, ugh! I am replacing with stained and varnished oak. I would like to finish both sides at once keep the finish flowing.

I was thinking of making some painters pyramid type stands using some scrap ply and some nails, I think buying painters pyramids is money I could spend on a tool instead of a limited use accessory.

For those that have done this or used painters pyramids how objectionable are the little marks they will make on the surface, are they quite noticeable?

Thanks for your thoughts.

George

James Conrad
09-19-2013, 8:59 AM
You could use some eye hooks screwed into the back or side edge and hang them for finishing/drying. Just need to watch how thick you put the finish on.

Todd Burch
09-19-2013, 9:13 AM
Hi George. I have not used the pyramids. I have looked at them, but haven't deemed them necessary yet.

I typically used scrap ply with long screws poking up from the bottom of the scrap to hold my finishing project when I want to finish the whole thing at once and don't mind the possibility of teeny tiny screw tip marks on the non-primary side of a piece. Works fine. Low tech, disposable, very cheap.

For a closet (and cabinet) shelf, I usually just simply stand it on edge. To minimize the chance of dirt or debris getting in the finish, or a build-up of finish on the edge touching the ground, you can drive two long screws in either end. The screws serve three purposes. 1) They can support the shelf, for instance, over a box or across sawhorses, so your shelf itself is not touching anything while you apply the finish. You can coat the ends, edges and top and bottom all at once and never have to touch your actual shelf. 2) Once coated and wet, your shelf can be stood on two screws and leaned against the wall on the other two screws. 3) The are a grab point to carry the shelf.

Todd

Mike Wilkins
09-19-2013, 9:40 AM
I have used both: scrap wood with nails and the painters pyramids. The small marks can be hidden on the underside or backside of the finished surface. Sharpened or nails with the heads cut off would leave the smallest dimple.

Ellen Benkin
09-19-2013, 9:55 AM
I don't like the painters' pyramids because I find the piece slides on them leaving a large scraping in the finish. I make triangles with scrap and use those but I like the suggestion to put a screw through a piece of scrap.

Mark Bolton
09-19-2013, 4:45 PM
Hi George. I have not used the pyramids. I have looked at them, but haven't deemed them necessary yet.

I typically used scrap ply with long screws poking up from the bottom of the scrap to hold my finishing project when I want to finish the whole thing at once and don't mind the possibility of teeny tiny screw tip marks on the non-primary side of a piece. Works fine. Low tech, disposable, very cheap.

For a closet (and cabinet) shelf, I usually just simply stand it on edge. To minimize the chance of dirt or debris getting in the finish, or a build-up of finish on the edge touching the ground, you can drive two long screws in either end. The screws serve three purposes. 1) They can support the shelf, for instance, over a box or across sawhorses, so your shelf itself is not touching anything while you apply the finish. You can coat the ends, edges and top and bottom all at once and never have to touch your actual shelf. 2) Once coated and wet, your shelf can be stood on two screws and leaned against the wall on the other two screws. 3) The are a grab point to carry the shelf.

Todd

We Finish interior doors in this exact same manner. We cut 1/2" CPVC handles about 4" long, washer on either end, and a 5" lag run through the lot. Screw them into the ends of the doors just as you have pictured. Have a rack in the booth to lay them flat. Spray one side and one edge, flip spray the other side and other edge, then two guys carry them out to a vertical hanging rack where they hang to dry. The rack we built can handle 15 doors or so. For shelves the exact setup would work perfectly using screws or nails and a dab of filler in the holes when done.

If anyone had a comment about the holes in the ends of your linen closet shelves, kick them out of your house :p

George Bokros
09-19-2013, 6:26 PM
Thanks for the replys. I am going with Todd's suggestion. Only I will let them lie suspended by the screws on two 2x4's across two saw horses since I co not have much wall space to stand them against.

Thanks

George

Sam Puhalovich
09-20-2013, 8:24 AM
I screw scrap-wood 'T's to the back edge of shelving ... perpendicular to the top/bottom ... keeping the shelf up-right.
Paint top, front edge, and bottom.
Use the 'T's as handles ... and set aside to dry.

George Bokros
09-20-2013, 9:07 AM
I screw scrap-wood 'T's to the back edge of shelving ... perpendicular to the top/bottom ... keeping the shelf up-right.
Paint top, front edge, and bottom.
Use the 'T's as handles ... and set aside to dry.

This is an awesome idea. I could do all ten shelves at one time standing them up on the floor.

Thanks Sam.

George