PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody from a new member

Christoph Brehm
09-19-2013, 7:50 AM
Hello everybody,

after years of abstinence from the woodworking hobby I am now ready for some new projects. Everything I know about woodworking I learned from my dad who had a fantastic workshop, unfortunately to far away.
After moving in a new house there is plenty of room in the basement and I already finished a first very simple project, a small workbench for my metal milling machine. Even though I really like to work with metal particularly with aluminum and stainless steel, I realized again that wood is a fantastic material.
However , the "basement time" of the year is coming and there are already a bunch of projects in my mind. But before I will be able to start I need to set up my shop and need a new table saw and maybe a band saw.

Thanks
Chris

Attached are two pictures from my quick and dirty workbench project which was done with the help of my DeWalt miter-saw.

Joe Kieve
09-19-2013, 8:09 AM
Welcome Chris. Have fun setting up your new shop and acquiring new power tools.

Harvey M. Taylor
09-19-2013, 2:46 PM
Come on in, Chris, the water in Sawmill creek is just right. Max.

Matt Marsh
09-19-2013, 7:46 PM
Hiya Chris! Welcome! From where do you hail? Northern MN here.

Dave Sheldrake
09-19-2013, 8:20 PM
Hiya Chris :) welcome aboard :)

Jim Matthews
09-20-2013, 7:34 AM
You'll need at least one stretcher, connecting the legs together at the bottom.
This will splay, the first time you load it.

This thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?198573-175-workbench-top-to-leg-connection) covers much of the basics.

FYI - my favorite designs are modular. My mentor has a bench made of three parts,
the vise is contained on a solid waist high base 3x3 top, screwed to the floor.

It's accompanied by two boxes, that stack up to the same height as the bench.

They can be separated to make a lower assembly table.
Knocked together with drywall screws and pine cut offs, it's a thing of weathered beauty.

David C. Roseman
09-20-2013, 8:05 AM
Welcome, Christoph!

David

Don Morris
09-20-2013, 8:26 AM
Welcome Chris, you've already received great advice about stretchers for your workbench. That's one of the reasons I also belong to this super group of people. Great advice. I also have a basement workshop and happy to have one rather than garage based. With all that space I saw in the photo, you will have a lot of options (did you notice the "Workshop" thread?). and with your metal background we now have another source when we have questions in that area. I have relatives in MN, and from what they tell me, you will have a long time this winter to do projects.

Christoph Brehm
09-24-2013, 1:12 PM
Hello everybody,

thanks for the welcome and all the advice related to a workbench.

Hiya Chris! Welcome! From where do you hail? Northern MN here.

Pennsylvania, Hershey

........ I also have a basement workshop and happy to have one rather than garage based. With all that space I saw in the photo, you will have a lot of options (did you notice the "Workshop" thread?)

I am more than happy to have a basement workshop which I can use all year long. During the summer month it would be impossible to use my garage as a workshop because it's getting incredible hot. I have straight stairs from the Garage to the basement so I can transport material like wood as well as machines direct into the basement, no need to carry all the stuff through the house. My wife really likes that...
I decided yesterday what type and make of table saw I will buy and hope I will get this until the next weekend. First project will then be a sled for which I already got a piece of phenolic laminated plywood. I like this stuff, the surface is really smooth and it slides really easy.

And finally to justify all this I promised my wife to make a bookshelf for her books. Material will also be phenolic laminated plywood (black), if I can find it in the right size and price.

Attached are some SolidWorks drawings, unfortunately she has a lot of books.

Thanks
Chris

David C. Roseman
09-24-2013, 5:50 PM
Christoph Brehm wrote:
[snip]
Pennsylvania, Hershey
[snip]

Hmm, a challenging project order from your wife, a new, empty basement shop calling out for new tools, and you're only 1-3/4 hrs from Muncy, PA. Plus it's a beautiful drive up the Susquehanna this time of year, as well. :) I see possibilities.

David

Gordon Eyre
09-24-2013, 7:02 PM
Welcome Chris, that is great about your new tools and proposed workshop.

Christoph Brehm
09-24-2013, 7:11 PM
Yep...
you are right David.

The "problem" is that my wife wont let me drive to Muncy anymore. ;) Last time I have been there, I told her only to take a look at some stuff. Actually I came back with a South Bend lathe.
And yes, it is a beautiful ride along the Susquehanna.

Chris

John Brad
09-30-2013, 2:28 PM
Welcome and good luck with your new adventure.