PDA

View Full Version : Best wood for project

Jason Solodow
09-18-2013, 11:40 PM
So I'm currently 90% turner but I'm expanding my horizons. My current project is making rosettes and plinth blocks for new trim in my house. The question is, what would be the nest wood for this? It is going to be painted so my plan was to use poplar. However when I started cutting rosettes the wood chipped and fragmented badly. My drill press was set at about 600rpm and yes I was feeding it very slowly. What's my next best choice for wood?? I was thinking maybe beech??

Myk Rian
09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
I was going to suggest beech. Cherry might also be good.

Mel Fulks
09-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I think the poplar is ok, maple might work better. You need more speed ,I've used cutter 3 inch diameter or more in variable speed plunge router on LOW speed ,which would be a lot faster than the 600 rpm .If you are using a corg head
with changeable knives they can drift apart a little without low strength locktite .

Richard Coers
09-19-2013, 11:06 AM
If you are 90% turner, why cut the rosettes on the drill press? The quill is usually loose, the feed is pretty course in movement, and the cutters are basically scrapers. Use a screw center on the lathe and turn them. I would not recommend poplar if your family is a bit rough with the vacuum cleaner, or if you have kids or grandkids. Poplar can be pretty soft and won't hold up like hard maple or even beech.

Mel Fulks
09-19-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm guessing time and quantity are considerations ,we have an excellent local full time turner who uses the router system
for large orders. Especially on paint grade where a little burn is ok.

Pat Barry
09-19-2013, 12:48 PM
If its going to be painted anyway, why not MDF?

Yonak Hawkins
09-19-2013, 5:32 PM
Jason, especially for the rosettes, you may make it easy on yourself using poplar. You could fill in any chips and smooth it out with putty. If they're not in high-touch areas you could use even use drywall mud.