PDA

View Full Version : OW! That hurts! Make it stop!

Marc Hills
05-31-2005, 9:18 AM
Therapeutic from the gray matter end! Certainly not from the physical end, as my hands are still sore as all get-out.
John’s comment touched on something that I thought deserved a new thread topic. But it only go me thinking. I'm not picking on John any more than I am on myself.

First of all, John: I totally agree that first and foremost, I enjoy using hand tools because they seem good for my psyche. And second, there certainly are times when various parts of my body ache from using hand tools.

But that doesn’t mean there aren’t real physical health benefits as well. I suspect the most profound is the relative absence of wood dust. And I'd also have to believe that your hearing will be better over the long haul the more you use hand tools.

But physical discomfort notwithstanding, there's something to be said for the good old exercise and physical conditioning. Most of us (present company included) have become so isolated from honest physical labor that it seems we’ve come to misconstrue what our bodies are saying to us whenever we raise a blister or work hard a muscle group.

I’m reminded of a recent thread on another woodworking forum in which a violin maker complained about blisters on his hands after using a chisel. Working with hand tools was fun and all, but whatever could he do to stop this nasty side effect? Heavy work gloves were the suggested answer, if I recall.

Pardon me for being a little cynical, but does anyone else see the irony in both the complaint and the answer?

I imagine that violin maker also plays and I wonder how he would respond to a novice musician complaining about sore finger tips from practicing, say, the guitar. Would he suggest he play while wearing gloves?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-31-2005, 9:22 AM
Marc,

I hear ya, I switched from being a roofer, to being in IT. I used to be in great shape. Now, well lets just say I'm not in very good of shape at all! Also, I can't believe the strength I have lost!

Woodworking has helped, but I am still trying to get into an excercise regimine as well.

Jim Becker
05-31-2005, 9:29 AM
Hmm...I don't think that "incidental use" of hand tools will necessarily replace the new health club that Dr. SWMBO and I just joined to try and get a little healthier, but physical activity in the shop cannot hurt, either. (Not to mention mixing mortar... ;) )

John Miliunas
05-31-2005, 9:38 AM
John’s comment touched on something that I thought deserved a new thread topic. But it only go me thinking. I'm not picking on John any more than I am on myself.

First of all, John: I totally agree that first and foremost, I enjoy using hand tools because they seem good for my psyche. And second, there certainly are times when various parts of my body ache from using hand tools.

But that doesn’t mean there aren’t real physical health benefits as well. I suspect the most profound is the relative absence of wood dust. And I'd also have to believe that your hearing will be better over the long haul the more you use hand tools.

But physical discomfort notwithstanding, there's something to be said for the good old exercise and physical conditioning. Most of us (present company included) have become so isolated from honest physical labor that it seems we’ve come to misconstrue what our bodies are saying to us whenever we raise a blister or work hard a muscle group.

I’m reminded of a recent thread on another woodworking forum in which a violin maker complained about blisters on his hands after using a chisel. Working with hand tools was fun and all, but whatever could he do to stop this nasty side effect? Heavy work gloves were the suggested answer, if I recall.

Pardon me for being a little cynical, but does anyone else see the irony in both the complaint and the answer?

I imagine that violin maker also plays and I wonder how he would respond to a novice musician complaining about sore finger tips from practicing, say, the guitar. Would he suggest he play while wearing gloves?

Marc, I guess for the most part, I'd agree with you on the "physical conditioning." Unfortunately, in my case, the most "typical" cause of this arthritis is from *over*-use of the joint(s)! :eek: There is no physical therapy or similar they could recommend to me to improve the situation, as that would aggrevate it more than help. As it stands, it's off to the surgeon for me the middle of June.:( In the long-run, though, it should prove to be beneficial.:) :cool:

Jason Roehl
05-31-2005, 10:03 AM
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here. Certain choices of mine have led me to a career in painting that, in general, requires much more physical effort than the desk-jockey path I was once on (engineering, then management student). While at times I may regret the income that I don't have, I must say that I am probably far healthier with what I do than if I had a desk job. On top of that, I do tend to enjoy doing some things "the old-fashioned way". That's not to say I'm a Neander, it's just that I prefer to do things for myself if at all possible. Oil change? All over it. Engine needs to be rebuilt? I'll do that too. House needs heat? Firewood (but I use a chainsaw and hydraulic splitter). Veggies? Wife and I work the garden. Meat? I've even helped slaughter hogs for a group of families to share the pork.

What's this done for me? Well, I graduated HS at about 6' and 145 lbs. Now I'm about 170 lbs. (13 years later), but still in pretty good shape. My last total cholesterol measurement was around 130. My resting heart rate is in the 50s. (I do need more aerobic exercise, though). Various "real age" programs online have put my life expectancy in the mid-90s. I eat fairly well (plenty of fresh fruits and veggies), but I still enjoy various "not-so-healthy" indulgences--steak, pizza, brats, beer, bourbon, etc. from time to time.

As for blisters and such, well, I just split several cords of wood this weekend, all without gloves. I only wear work gloves when I absolutely need them. It takes time, and some pain, to build up good callouses. For that reason, I don't do dishes. One dishwashing session can wipe away months of good callous-building. (It's okay with the wifey). Yes, my hands hurt today, and yes, I have some minor cuts and scrapes from the wood. I'll heal.

Peter Mc Mahon
05-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi John. I have a number of "ailments" non of which are arthritis, but have you heard about active release therapy [ART] It has worked wonders for me and several people that I know. I work in a large auto plant and a lot of people get carpal tunnel syndrome. The usual answer is to get surgery, but several people have gotten ART and come back 100%. Check with some physio therapy people. It is supposed to be best when combined with chiropractic treatment. Peter