PDA

View Full Version : Computer experts : How is this computer ?

Clarence Martin
09-18-2013, 9:32 PM
HP - ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 16GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

Model: 800-060

What I have now is an old Dell e521 running Vista with 1 GB Ram.

Is the HP much faster and better built than the old Dell e521 ?

Sean Troy
09-18-2013, 10:09 PM

Yes it would be a much faster computer. If your going with Windows 8, get a touch screen moniter.

Curt Harms
09-19-2013, 8:23 AM
There are fairly simple and inexpensive (or free) ways to bring back the classic Windows user interface to Windows 8 if you choose. I haven't tried it but just don't see a touch interface on a typical desktop configuration being comfortable. Having to raise your arm to the monitor constantly? Not for me, I think. If there's some sort of super touch pad or similar, that might have possibilities.

Matt Meiser
09-19-2013, 8:57 AM
I know some would disagree but I see no reason for desktops anymore unless you need a top-notch graphics card. They aren't really any cheaper and you can add a monitor, keyboard and mouse if you desire. The laptop can be used portably if desired and takes up less space.

Frank Trinkle
09-19-2013, 9:48 AM

I don't have a horse in this game because I've totally converted to Apple systems....That being said, be aware that Hewlett Packard is very seriously talking about exiting the PC market; meaning that they intend to stop producing computers. That may have repercussions on later service and support for their existing systems. (HP and Compaq are the same company by the way). Michael Dell is also in the process of trying to take Dell Computers private which could have a positive OR a negative effect, depending on what he does with the company once shareholders are no longer involved, or have influence over decisions. Just something to keep in mind.

16GB memory, and a 1TB drive is plenty for current programs and storage unless you're planning to load hundreds of long Blue-Ray movies on your drive. What is more critical (and I don't know for your system) is what processor the system has installed. You want at least an I5 quad core for today's programs to run speedily. Good luck with your decision. (Oh, and I agree that unless you have a very specific need, desktop computers are getting pretty archaic. Laptops will do virtually everything a desktop will, and in some cases, even more)

Clarence Martin
09-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Thought about a Laptop, but I have the computer desk all set up for desktop use. Never needed to have a portable computer.

On that HP computer, about how much cheaper would it be if I built it myself ?

Sean Troy
09-19-2013, 10:26 AM
There are fairly simple and inexpensive (or free) ways to bring back the classic Windows user interface to Windows 8 if you choose. I haven't tried it but just don't see a touch interface on a typical desktop configuration being comfortable. Having to raise your arm to the monitor constantly? Not for me, I think. If there's some sort of super touch pad or similar, that might have possibilities.
I've found it to be quite comfortable to use the touch screen as do my kids who use it. In conjunction with the mouse and keyboard, it really does make it easier and you get the full benefit of 8 which after a little learning curve is as good as any MS OS. Just my opinion.

Myk Rian
09-19-2013, 10:40 AM
How much are they asking for it?
I'm considering building another machine for HD video editing/DVD burning. It'll cost me somewhere around $800-$900.

Rich Engelhardt
09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I did a quick put together of a similar system & it's between $900 to $1100, depending on how much you want to upgrade things.
That would be without any operating system.

You don't really save much, if anything, by putting together your own system these days.

Larry Browning
09-19-2013, 12:30 PM
I haven't read every single post in this thread, so, sorry if someone has already said this.
I will disagree with having a touch screen for a desktop. In thinking about how you sit at your desk operating a keyboard and mouse, I tend to lean back in my chair or sit erect. If I had a touchscreen to use, I would have to lean forward towards the monitor to use the touchscreen. I view that as a big hassle that would be more of an annoyance than enhancement. Plus, have you priced those things? WOW:eek:
I think a touchscreen does make since on a tablet or even a laptop, but not a desktop.
I think a much better option would be one of the very good start button replacement programs, such as Start8 or StartIsBack. I have StartIsBack and it has been weeks since I have even seen all those silly tiles. I often forget they are even there.
I know that MS has said they are bringing back the start button, but it is not a full implementation of the Win7 start button like the replacement programs are. You will still need to use the tile start screen quite a bit.

Larry Browning
09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
I did a quick put together of a similar system & it's between $900 to $1100, depending on how much you want to upgrade things.
That would be without any operating system.

You don't really save much, if anything, by putting together your own system these days.
I really agree with you Rich. We as consumers cannot purchase the components at prices that can compete with the larger manufactures. The real advantage of a DYI is being able to pick higher quality components and the enjoyment of building it yourself. I question the value of high quality components, in that I am not sure I want my computer to last for years and years when the technology is changing as rapidly as it does with computers.

Matt Meiser
09-19-2013, 3:42 PM
the enjoyment of building it yourself.

Ask Dennis Peacock about that one...

Larry Browning
09-19-2013, 5:58 PM
As always, YMMV.
My opinion is there really is no reason to build you own except for the enjoyment of building it yourself. I really don't think there is any money savings anymore, like there used to be. Desktop computers have become more of a commodity item these days.

Rich Engelhardt
09-19-2013, 8:08 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Larry Browning http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2157660#post2157660)
the enjoyment of building it yourself.

LOL!
That's funny....a bit on the mean side,,,,but,,,funny :D

Dave Sheldrake
09-19-2013, 8:24 PM
I used to build all my own systems but these days I tend to buy "short systems" and add Graphics cards / hard disks as required. That said most of my work involves 3d renders or AutoCAD so high end graphics is essential for me.

The basic spec you posted so long as it has a decent processor will be fine for most things Clarence

cheers

Dave

Jim Becker
09-19-2013, 9:06 PM
I know some would disagree but I see no reason for desktops anymore unless you need a top-notch graphics card. They aren't really any cheaper and you can add a monitor, keyboard and mouse if you desire. The laptop can be used portably if desired and takes up less space.

My iMac takes up the space of a 27" monitor. :) My MBPr 13" actually takes up more room here in my office because of the additional larger monitor, keyboard and rodent. But I wouldn't give up either of them :) :D

Larry Frank
09-19-2013, 9:10 PM
This thread kind of reminds me of the table saw threads where one asks which saw to buy.

The first thing is to figure out what you are going to do with the computer. Are you just surfing the web and other things which do not require very much processing power. On the other end is if you are going to do a lot with photos such as retouching and editing.

My last computer is a Dell high end with a lot of processing power for the things I like to do. I bought it not too long ago and had Windows 7 put on it. I am not real interested in using touch screen just out of habit and it is not comfortable for me to use one while sitting at a desk. On a tablet, the touch screen is great.

If it were me, I would sit down and make a list of what I want to do on the computer to get an idea of which computer to get. I would also check on the Dell website to get an idea of what one of their units would cost. ​I am very pleased with mine.

Chuck Wintle
09-20-2013, 6:59 AM

Are you able to build your own computer? If these companies exit the computer market then support is gone or hard to get. My solution is to order the components from Newegg and build it myself. Then you can spec it to your needs. Also windows 7 is still available for purchase.