PDA

View Full Version : What I learned this month

Daniel Rode
09-18-2013, 1:10 PM
For the last month or two, I've been focused on hand tool. I've been reading, experimenting, watching videos and asking lots of questions here.

Sharpening
From the beginning, I realized that sharp tools were absolutely critical and being able to efficiently sharpen was the key. I learned a lot about sharpening my chisels and irons. The final couple of pieces came together last night watching Chris Schwarz sharpening tutorial video. I'm more concerned with method than media and his method is very similar to what I'm doing now. Some other methods may be as goodor even more effective but are quite different. I believe I'm better served by improving upon a skill I have. At any rate, the proof is in the pudding. Chris makes clean cuts from sharp blades, so it works. Learning how (and why) to camber the blade on a smoothing plane was one of the really big pieces I got last night.

Saws
Since my plan is to learn to hand cut dovetails and tenons, clean, accurate cuts with a hand saw will be imperative. Unfortunately, I discovered that I knew almost nothing about hand saws. I've been working with wood since I was a teen, you'd figure I would have learned something. You'd be wrong...

I know there were rip and crosscut saws, larger and smaller saws, push saws and pull saws, saws with a spine and without but that's really the extent of my knowledge. I don't know much but I know a little more than I knew a month ago. While I've done a bunch of reading elsewhere, I learned more here than anywhere else. I'll also give some credit to the Paul Sellers videos and a handful of others.

Watching skilled woodworkers choose and use a saw helps a lot. More than cutting joints accurately, I'm seeing that a hand saw is often the fastest and most accurate way to make cuts. Making small miters, for example. A table saw or miter saw can be a terrifying way to cut a 1" long piece of moulding. It's also tough to be accurate and not get blowouts. I watched Bob Lang, do this with a miter bench hook and a shooting board to tune up the fit. Fast, accurate, safe and quiet.

However, I lack both skill and saws. For right now, I'll concentrate on acquiring a single quality saw to cut dovetails and shorter tenons and learning how to use it well. Luckily, I have a cheap Crown gent saw that's enough to get me started already.

Planes
Planes are simple; planes are hard. I gained a lot of confidence watching Paul Sellers do it all with a #4. That has been reinforced by what I've read and watched from Chris Schwarz and others. Since I'll mostly use my power jointer and planer to square and dimension wood, I don't need 10 planes. Again, thanks to CS, the last couple of pieces I needed fell into place last night. Beyond sharpening, setting up a smoothing plane for use is critical. I've been struggling to get this part right. It's one of those routine things that needs to be done and done well before using the tool. Do this, look for that, lather, rinse. repeat. I need some practice but I feel like I have the steps down. I'm confident that one I camber the blade and work through the setup steps, I'll start getting the consistent results I desire.

I also discovered that a router plane and a cabinet scraper are incredibly useful. The former for fitting tenons, making dados and other stuff, the latter as something I'd prefer to a card scraper in many instances. Neither are critical at this stage but I'll add them one day.

I discovered that, tuned up and sharpened, my stanley block plane is pretty darned useful as is my super-cheap, plastic tote, Stanley #4. The new WoodRiver #4 is a whole lot nicer to handle and adjust, tho.

Workbench
I have a Sjobergs workbench top that I bought several years ago and made legs and a cabinet. Even though I might prefer different side vice, it's enough to do anything I want as is. Up until now, it was used more as an assembly bench that a hand too workbench. I made 2 improvements to make it more efficient for me to work by hand. First was the location. It was centered on my shop (garage) back wall and about 4' from the wall (and tool storage) with the side vice facing the wall. That worked OK for assembly and general woodworking. After some experimentation, I determined that it was best located almost against the wall with the side vice facing out. It turned out the the maximum distance I could reach across the bench and comfortably reach for tools in the wall was 32". I added a 8" tool tray and put the front edge of the bench at 29". In a stroke of luck, the lighting was already ideal for this setup and needed no changes.

The location is a very personal choice based on what was comfortable for me, the other constraints and tools in my shop and what was important to me. Easy cleanup and comfortable natural movements to retrieve and replace tools were at the top of my list. Same for the tool tray. I've never use one before but considering how I will work, what tools and the location of the bench, the tool tray made a lot of sense for me. YMMV.

Miscellaneous Stuff
Laying out and cutting dovetails by hand is fairly straightforward. Straightforward does not mean easy. Doing it well it definitely not easy. It is, however, just a matter of practice and experience. ...and a dividers. I have no dividers to aid in the layout. Gotta put that on the list, too. The same is true for hand cut M&T joints.

I'm older with poorer eyesight. several years ago, before I took a hiatus from woodworking, I didn't need glasses at all. Today, I can't read a menu, let along a ruler without them. The tolerances I'm attempting are closer, so good lighting, and keen eyesight are really important. I might even go with glasses that magnify things a bit for the shop.

The older I get the less I like sanding, especially power sanding. It's not the process, it's the dust and the fuzzy surfaces it leaves. If I can get the skill built, 80% of my sanding would be replaced by planing along with some chisel and scraper works. My lungs like this idea.

There's more, but that's all I can remember for right now. It's been a busy month.

Chris Hachet
09-18-2013, 2:02 PM
I live in Ohio, I have a selection of Bad Axe, vintage, Lie Nielson, etc. saws, Should you find yourself in Columbus with a little notice you would be more than welcome to "test drive" anything I have got.

Federico Mena Quintero
09-18-2013, 3:38 PM
Dan, this is an excellent summary, and I'm glad that things are falling into place for you.

If you need dividers in a pinch, you can make them easily - I made these one time that I needed dividers with a wider reach than my normal metal ones, and they work really well (front and back):

The points are wire nails with the heads cut off, and sharpened with a file. I held each nail with a vise grip and hammered it into each leg after drilling into the legs.

The screw I had for the union was too long, so I just hacksawed the excess off. The screw is tight enough that the dividers won't move when I swing them around, but I can still open and close them easily.

A marking gauge is equally simple to make. Bob has a great video on doing this here: http://logancabinetshoppe.com/blog/2010/11/episode-29/

(And by the way - if you haven't already, read all of Bob's blog and watch all the videos - they are incredible.)

While eyesight definitely helps, you can help yourself even more if you mark things with a marking knife instead of a pencil. Chisels, saws, and everything will register against the knife line, and that little "click" is more trustworthy than a pencil line :)

Daniel Rode
09-18-2013, 3:57 PM
Thanks, Federico.

Doh! I never thought about making dividers. They are such a simple device and I can make them out of stuff lying around the shop for nothing. It's a nice project to work completely by hand as well :)

I should have mentioned using a knife. I still use a sharp pencil for marking many things but I've been using a knife more and more often.

Daniel Rode
09-18-2013, 3:59 PM
Thanks Chris. Columbus is 2 1/2 hours away, so not much chance of me just being in the area and dropping by :) I appreciate the offer.

I live in Ohio, I have a selection of Bad Axe, vintage, Lie Nielson, etc. saws, Should you find yourself in Columbus with a little notice you would be more than welcome to "test drive" anything I have got.

Stew Hagerty
09-18-2013, 4:18 PM
Thanks Chris. Columbus is 2 1/2 hours away, so not much chance of me just being in the area and dropping by :) I appreciate the offer.

Well if you happen to be in NW Ohio, then Fort Wayne can't be too far. I have a fair set of vintage saws and planes, as well as a bunch of new tools. As a former general contractor, I first started out in woodworking with an electric cord attached to every tool I used. However, as time went by, I began to "devolve" into more and more of a hand tool user. So, if you are close, you are more than welcome to come over to visit me and my humble shop. Just send me a private message and we'll work out the details.

FYI, the same goes for anyone in the vicinity.

Joe Ruden
09-18-2013, 9:17 PM
Well if you happen to be in NW Ohio, then Fort Wayne can't be too far. I have a fair set of vintage saws and planes, as well as a bunch of new tools. As a former general contractor, I first started out in woodworking with an electric cord attached to every tool I used. However, as time went by, I began to "devolve" into more and more of a hand tool user. So, if you are close, you are more than welcome to come over to visit me and my humble shop. Just send me a private message and we'll work out the details.

FYI, the same goes for anyone in the vicinity.

There is someone else from Fort Wayne on this forum.

Dave Parkis
09-18-2013, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't get too concerned about cutting dovetails without dividers. Chuck Bender doesn't use dividers and encourages his students not to bother with them. His dvd's are excellent, BTW.

Daniel Rode
09-19-2013, 12:01 AM
My remark about dividers was part jest, part fact. I saw dividers used to layout dovetails and it seemed like a very sensible way to do it. The fact is that I think I'll eventually want to use that method. The jest part is really about the growing list of things I probably want to get someday but I have to work without for now. It a long list :)

I wouldn't get too concerned about cutting dovetails without dividers. Chuck Bender doesn't use dividers and encourages his students not to bother with them. His dvd's are excellent, BTW.

David Weaver
09-19-2013, 6:47 AM
I've never used dividers to do dovetails. I think it makes some sense to use them if you're making a chest or something that has a long row of tails and pins that will always be exposed. But for regular work I think tails that are reasonably even but only spaced by eye are more interesting to look at. They are certainly faster to do, too. Anything that makes for a higher percent of time doing vs measuring is nice.

Chris Griggs
09-19-2013, 8:11 AM
I've never used dividers either. I just sub divide with a ruler. Though like Dave said I can see dividers being nice in some situations.

Adam Cruea
09-19-2013, 8:54 AM
I've never used dividers either. I just sub divide with a ruler. Though like Dave said I can see dividers being nice in some situations.

Ditto. Figure out how long the end of the tail is, and just keep doing that. Adding 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch to each measurement really isn't too hard to do, and my compulsive need to have things on nice boundaries appreciates it.

Chris Griggs
09-19-2013, 9:24 AM
Ditto. Figure out how long the end of the tail is, and just keep doing that. Adding 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch to each measurement really isn't too hard to do, and my compulsive need to have things on nice boundaries appreciates it.

Even easier. Lay the ruler across the tail board at a diagonal so that each edge of the board lines up with a whole number measurement. Then just mark at any major units in between. For example if you wanted 4 tails on a board you would put the end of the ruler at 1 edge of the board and angle it down until the 4 lined up with the other edge. You would make a tick mark at the 1" nark, the 2" mark, and the 3" mark. This gives you the center points of your 3 pins, and thus gives you 4 tails.

Don Dorn
09-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Unless I'm making a box of some sort that is meant to show them off, I have subscribed to the Frank Klausz method for years in that pins go first. No layout tools, just cut them by eye and use it as a template for the tails.

I've tried to do it the other way around (tails first) and for some reason, they simply don't fit.

To the OP: Good for you, keep up your research and enjoy the craft. I too have learned a great deal from Sellers and as a result, have my #4 and a 5 1/2" hanging above my bench. Amazed that I haven't felt the need for anything else for a long time. Also have adopted his sharpening method (even though my old one worked) - much quicker for me and the edges seem to retain quite a bit longer.

Curt Putnam
09-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Check Derek's site for the blue tape trick - really helps define where your cuts need to be. Lot's of strong light helps the seeing.

Jim Koepke
09-19-2013, 5:45 PM
Planes
Planes are simple; planes are hard. I gained a lot of confidence watching Paul Sellers do it all with a #4. That has been reinforced by what I've read and watched from Chris Schwarz and others. Since I'll mostly use my power jointer and planer to square and dimension wood, I don't need 10 planes.

Workbench

The location is a very personal choice based on what was comfortable for me, the other constraints and tools in my shop and what was important to me. Easy cleanup and comfortable natural movements to retrieve and replace tools were at the top of my list. Same for the tool tray. I've never use one before but considering how I will work, what tools and the location of the bench, the tool tray made a lot of sense for me. YMMV.

Miscellaneous Stuff
Laying out and cutting dovetails by hand is fairly straightforward. Straightforward does not mean easy. Doing it well it definitely not easy. It is, however, just a matter of practice and experience. ...and a dividers. I have no dividers to aid in the layout. Gotta put that on the list, too. The same is true for hand cut M&T joints.

I'm older with poorer eyesight. several years ago, before I took a hiatus from woodworking, I didn't need glasses at all. Today, I can't read a menu, let along a ruler without them. The tolerances I'm attempting are closer, so good lighting, and keen eyesight are really important. I might even go with glasses that magnify things a bit for the shop.

The older I get the less I like sanding, especially power sanding. It's not the process, it's the dust and the fuzzy surfaces it leaves. If I can get the skill built, 80% of my sanding would be replaced by planing along with some chisel and scraper works. My lungs like this idea.

There's more, but that's all I can remember for right now. It's been a busy month.

A lot was edited out from the quote for brevity of my response to the points left.

For Planes:
We each must find our own relationship with these wonderful tools. It is easy to go the minimalist route here and only have a few bench planes, a block plane and maybe a specialty plane like a rabbet, plough and a router. No task comes to mind that can not be handled with this approach.

In my case there seems to be something more powerful taking place. Even with all the planes already in my shop they call to me in thrift shops and flea markets. It seems insane that with 4 #5s already in my shop that I will still pick one up off of a bench and ask the seller, "how much?" More insane is if the price is good, it might come home with me.

A good price on many of the others would also tempt me and likely have me kicking myself if it didn't come home with me.

Okay enough of the crazy old guy who has a thing for hand planes.

The work bench is possibly the most important tool in the shop. If it doesn't work for you, it will have you doing less work. There is a lot of discussion of the different styles of benches. My bench when made will be made for my style of working. It may end up with two tail vises and two face vises. After all, isn't that why there are 4 corners on a bench?

Dovetails and other layouts:

My work has gotten better since changing from trying for precise measurements to working with an old wooden folding rule and story sticks. The trick is in the matching the parts to fit and not trying to work with 64ths or 32nds of an inch.

Laying out dovetails with dividers works well for many people. So do most of the other ways of laying out dovetails.

My abilities at cutting dovetails is not world class, but they do what they are supposed to do. Sometimes they are even decorative:

Most of the time mine are lain out using one of my paring chisels. Mostly my method is to cut tails first. It could also work with pins first.

The chisel is used to make the base of the tail and the gap between them just a hair wider than the chisel. This is marked along the base line. Then my dovetail gauge is used to layout the cut lines. It is easy to make your own dovetail gauges. Mine were bought at a store where they were ordered in error so they had a very good price on them. My recollection is the pair was just over $10 with tax:

If multiple pieces are to be made, then a story stick is made for laying out the rest:

The bottom stick was used to layout the drawers. The dovetail layout is at the end opposite the drawer layout. The slot referred to is the slot for the bottom of the drawer. One thought was to glue a piece on the stick to register in the slot. Instead a piece of scrap was set in the slot to register the stick. The stick is less than 2' long.

The top stick was used to layout some washroom cabinets. It is still used for laying out dovetails on 3/4" stock.

Dividers are easy to come by at yard sales, flea markets and ebay. A good drafting set shouldn't set you back more than $20 even with shipping.

Some of these are from broken sets:

Somewhere I have a couple sets packed away. There are two compasses in here. One of them has the pencil lead removed and a point installed. Most sets have the ability to change out the ends to be used as dividers, a pencil compass or an inking compass. Some have modified an inking compass to a marking divider/compass.

The other items in picture are calipers. The one on the left can be used inside or outside. It also has a micro adjustment abilities.

One of the best ways to find these kinds of things is to make it a habit to talk to people. Often in thrift stores they have a bunch of junk in a box or in a counter that you may not see. But talking to the folks there about what you are seeking may get them to thinking about what is underneath the pile and pull out a nice divider for $1 or less.

Often it will be one of the old grade school compasses, but sometimes it will be a Starrett divider cheap.

jtk