PDA

View Full Version : Tom Law Sharpening Question...

Jim Izat
05-14-2003, 5:28 PM
I've bought three older saws (one dovetail, two tennon) on EBAY and I'd like to get them properly sharpened. I've heard that Tom Law is the man to see for sharpening traditional handsaws. Anybody here dealt with Tom? I hear you have to call him on the phone to see if he can work you in. The saws aren't great but they're what I could afford, and I figure with a good sharpening they'll serve. I figure I'll get the DT about 14pt rip and the tenons 12pt, one rip, one crosscut. Sound good?

Thanks,

Jim

Tom Scott
05-14-2003, 6:19 PM
I used Tom Law on 3 old Disstons and he definitely lived up to his reputation. Mine were in pretty bad shape, so they actually had to be re-filed and new teeth cut. Give him a call. I doubt that there is too long a wait. He had mine back to me within a week or so.

personally, I think 15 ppi for the dovetail is a nice balance between fast cutting and smooth finish. For the tenon saws, I'd probably go with a 13-14 ppi for the cross cut (since you need that to be a smooth cut on the shoulders), and a more aggressive 10 ppi for the rip. Especially on bigger tenons, too many teeth really slows down the process.

Enjoy the saws.

Dave Anderson NH
05-15-2003, 9:45 AM
Back last summer Brother Grumbine led me into temptation (specifically to an old tool dealer) and I bought two tenon saws. I sent them both to Tom and he jointed, sharpened and reset the teeth for me. All three operations cost about $18 per saw though I heard he had to go up on his prices late last year after being stiffed by a few folks. I got the saws back a week after I sent them out.

The nice thing about working with Tom is that he can evaluate the saw for you, make suggestions, and give you exactly what you want. None of the one size fits all hooey. I suggest you give him a call after you think the saws have arrived at his place and take advantage of his vast knowledge and make your decisions based on his advice combined with your needs.

You might also note for future reference that Tom often has saws for sale too.

Martin Shupe
05-15-2003, 10:36 AM
I have a 1960's vintage Disston...not sure if it is valuable, except it was my dad's.

Over the years, it has suffered through too many moves, and a flood, and has some pretty good rust on parts of it.

I would like to send it to someone who can "restore" it and sharpen it.

It sounds like Tom Law is the man, but I don't know where he is...

Can someone please post his address, phone number, and or website?

Thanks!

Tom Scott
05-15-2003, 1:23 PM
Tom is low tech, so here is his phone # and mailing address:

Tom Law
62 West Water St.
Smithsburg, Maryland 21783

Ph. 301-824-5223

Just call ahead and tell him what you will be sending so it's not a surprise. I don't know if he does restoration or not...you'll need to ask. If not, I would recommend doing that before you send to be sharpened.

Dick Webb
05-15-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi guys,
I once gave Tom two dozen saws, some of which needed the full works (retooth, sharpen & set), some only needed sharpening, and he was done in less than a week. I had two pleasant visits with him in which we swapped wood stories and I learned a lot of saw lore in the process.

Tom has restored some saws for his own collection, which last I saw was about 300 saws, but I don't think he does that for hire. His saws for sale 2 years ago were in the $20 - $35 range, sharpened of course, not collector quality, but attractive and fine users ready to go.

He's been sharpening more than 40 years, and if you tell him what you want the saw to do; e.g., rip, crosscut, combination - I had him do one combo for plywood- , hardwood, softwood, wet or dry wood, he'll advise you on recommended toothing and set. He really knows his stuff, does a beautiful job, is delightful to chat with and is honest as the day is long.

You couldn't find a better guy to do business with.

John Snyder
05-22-2003, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by Dick Webb
Hi guys,
I once gave Tom two dozen saws, some of which needed the full works (retooth, sharpen & set), some only needed sharpening, and he was done in less than a week. I had two pleasant visits with him in which we swapped wood stories and I learned a lot of saw lore in the process.

Tom has restored some saws for his own collection, which last I saw was about 300 saws, but I don't think he does that for hire. His saws for sale 2 years ago were in the $20 - $35 range, sharpened of course, not collector quality, but attractive and fine users ready to go.

He's been sharpening more than 40 years, and if you tell him what you want the saw to do; e.g., rip, crosscut, combination - I had him do one combo for plywood- , hardwood, softwood, wet or dry wood, he'll advise you on recommended toothing and set. He really knows his stuff, does a beautiful job, is delightful to chat with and is honest as the day is long.

You couldn't find a better guy to do business with.

I sent three saws to Tom recently as well ... exceptional work. Recommend highly.

JS