PDA

View Full Version : Soleusair has poor customer service...

Raymond Fries
09-18-2013, 9:48 AM
We purchased a Soleusair CFM-40E dehumidifier for $212.99 from Amazon on 10/25/2009 for my workshop. About a month ago it quit extracting water but it seemed to run OK. I contacted Soleusair technical support and they determined it was not worth fixing and to get a new one instead of repairing it. So, it was tossed into the trash for the next pickup.

Last week, we got an email from Gree stating that Soleusair was recalling a massive number of dehumidifiers for fire hazards and gave a link to a website to see if ours was being recalled. On the site you needed a date code from the unit, which we no longer had. I called Gree and told the above story. I also told them that I had my original sales receipt and the manual. They said “every” CFM-40E was being recalled but they were instructed to send out a kit instructing people to return parts from the unit. They alos gave the the date code. They said I should get a refund and to contact Soleusair directly.

I contacted Soleusair and they refused to give me a refund because I could not send back the sticker that was attached to the unit. That was the proof they needed to ensure that I has purchased a unit. I guess a sales receipt from Amazon and a manual that can only be gotten from inside a box is not good enough. So they got me for $212.99….

This is very poor customer service in my opinion. I guess if a company is forced to recall 2 million units, a $200 denied refund would make "all" the difference in the bottom line payout.

Steve Meliza
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
I think it is safe to say that your unit is no longer a fire hazard.

Matt Meiser
09-18-2013, 11:37 AM
You gave the unit, which failed with some other failure before the recall, away and its now in someone else's possession--maybe the trash hauler or maybe whoever picked it up off the curb--but you still want them to pay you for it?

Recalls aren't to reimburse you for a bad design, its to get the bad design off the street. If you want damages, sue them.

Robert McGowen
09-18-2013, 11:55 AM
It lasted almost 4 years and you threw it away and now want to be reimbursed for it? A company can have poor customer service, but sometimes they just have poor customers.

Wade Lippman
09-18-2013, 12:00 PM
At the risk of piling on, you could get the replacement parts because you had the sticker and your brother could demand a refund because he had the sales receipt "from one that he threw out".
Asking for the sticker is perfectly reasonable.

Just an aside...
I used to have a VW Golf. I had to pay $500 for a MAS sensor repair. A year later VW recalled them for defective MAS sensors and agreed to reimburse anyone who needed a repair prior to the recall. I couldn't find my receipt for the repair, so I asked the dealer for a copy. He offered to sell me one for $50. Now THAT is poor customer service.

But of course people who used to have the car but got rid of it without needing a repair didn't get a refund...

Kevin Bourque
09-18-2013, 1:34 PM
It's a legal thing.

The company needs to destroy all the defective products or they face liability claims.