PDA

View Full Version : Thread-iquite

Stephen Cherry
09-17-2013, 9:00 PM
OK guys, here is a topic I have been wondering about.

First off, let me say that I have learned a lot from this site, and I appreciate the moderators and the job that they do. Although I may disagree somewhat about some of the policies (like discussing politics), I understand why they have them. This site has a level of decorum that is beyond what you normally find on the web, and it makes for a pleasant reading experience.

So here is a topic.

Say someone posts a comment, question, or statement to start a thread. In normal life, conversations can take twists and turns that could go anywhere, but this is more of a directed discussion. So when is it OK to take a discussion in a different, but related direction. I have read threads where the people are put off by anything that is not in direct response to the original question. On the other hand, I have read other threads where an original specific question sets forth a topic that is explored in greater detail than the original poster would expect. This is particularly the case with some of the shaper threads, where some pretty basic question that is simply set forth will initiate a discussion where some of the local pros share knowledge that has taken sometimes decades to pick up. Lot's of times, this is stuff that you never will see in a book, or article and I have a lot of appreciation for people who share this information.

So when is it OK to diverge from the original question?

Mel Fulks
09-17-2013, 9:32 PM
Some of the threads evolve ,but I seldom think they they have gone too far field. Best way to have this thread might be to
ask for examples where someone feels they did not evolve but mutated. I have not answered the question that was asked ,see how fast threads start to swerve ?

glenn bradley
09-17-2013, 9:55 PM
I am one of those who is not in favor of threads wandering off. If the thread title is poor like "Hey, check this out" or the content wanders off of the topic at hand, the searchability or content becomes pretty useless in a forum context.
I am generally reading or checking search results regarding a topic like 'bandsaw blade tension' or 'ROS dust collection'. There may be some great info under "Hey check this out" but, I'll never find it unless by accident.

If I find the ROS discussion about dust collection has wandered off into a discussion about the varying flexibility at different temperatures of different polymers used in the manufacturing of vacuum hoses, the value really drops off for me. If the people who want to talk about hose flexibility start a thread called "Hose Flexibility" I would love to find that when I an looking into that subject matter ;-)

John Coloccia
09-17-2013, 11:59 PM
I see threads like a group of people at a cocktail party. There's a little bunch over here....a little bunch over there. Maybe one group started talking about cars and it morphs into a conversation about wine. I don't mind a bit of unpredictability. Maybe it makes searching more difficult, but honestly that's way down on the list as far as SMC's usefulness to me. I see it as a place to gather and chit chat about things.

Dan Hintz
09-18-2013, 6:22 AM
Just like in real life, it depends upon the OP's mood. If the OP needs to info now and is interested in that specific topic, straying too far afield can be confusing. If the OP is looking for info in general, then some side avenues may actually be quite useful. I like to keep topics semi-related, but I only start straying once I think the OP has received useful info on the topic they've posted about.

Jim Matthews
09-18-2013, 7:00 AM
It's a bunch of middle-aged guys talking about something that doesn't involve a ball, girls or Man-o-pause.

Like any place else, those actively engaged in the craft for pay don't have a great deal of free time.
It's sort of like the auto repair shop where I grew up - two guys wrenching, twenty Kvetching...

Rich Engelhardt
09-18-2013, 8:24 AM
I prefer an "open" policy as far as threads are concerned.
IMHO, it's a more friendly atmosphere.

I've been on a few very heavily moderated lists/forums where any deviation from the topic was met with a stern warning any future violations would result in banishment.
They were about as much fun as a sterile room......

Prashun Patel
09-18-2013, 8:30 AM
It's hard to have a rule about this.

I think the moderators do a great job of determining when things start becoming disrespectful or when the dead horse has been beaten too much. Other than that, I think any thoughtful response is a good one.

Pat Barry
09-18-2013, 1:10 PM
So, what I wondering is if the scary sharp method is the best sharpening method for the novice woodworker, or whether or not the novice should invest other, perhaps better and more expensive alternatives. Lets discuss?

Is that what you mean, Stephen?

Stephen Cherry
09-18-2013, 3:01 PM
So, what I wondering is if the scary sharp method is the best sharpening method for the novice woodworker, or whether or not the novice should invest other, perhaps better and more expensive alternatives. Lets discuss?

Is that what you mean, Stephen?

Pat- I've tried the sandpaper, the waterstones, and I've settled on a few diamond stones and a ceramic. It get's things sharp enough to shave arm hair in just a few minutes.

Myk Rian
09-18-2013, 3:04 PM
So when is it OK to take a discussion in a different, but related direction.
Never, unless the OP does it.

David C. Roseman
09-18-2013, 3:57 PM
In years past, I think forum moderators universally had good reason to worry about search-ability of threads that wandered way off topic. Posters were urged to start a new thread devoted to the new subject. Now, with the refined Google, Bing, etc. algorithms, searching within and across forums is so easy that it doesn't much matter. More frustrating for me are titles that give no clue about the subject matter, like Glenn's example "Hey, check this out!" :rolleyes: At least with SMC, you can hold the cursor over the title and read the OP's post as a pop-up without opening the thread. :)

David

Larry Frank
09-18-2013, 8:41 PM
I think that a thread should try to stay as much on topic as is possible. Sometimes, it wanders off a bit and that is OK. However, I think that it is worthwhile to keep it on topic.

If you are reading a thread and suddenly have a question about something else then the best thing is to start a new thread.

The funniest responses are those where someone asks a specific question about a piece of equipment and someone writes in that they really do not have any experience with that but blah blah blah. (See, now you have me going off topic...I need to censor myself.)