PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on table?

Arnie Grammon
05-31-2005, 6:06 AM
I am building a larger-than-average round table, and I need some ideas on a pedestal base or ???? I see the oak pedestals offered by Rockler and others, but I'd like to build it myself, and possibly less detailed......no clawfoot, etc.

It will be around 6 1/2 foot around, with an octagon or ? apron. I may just go with four legs, although that isn't quite the look I'm after.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Arnie

Jim Stastny
05-31-2005, 3:02 PM
Recently either American Woodworker or Woodsmith had a great article on how to construct a pedastal base. I suggest you check them.

Ralph Barhorst
05-31-2005, 3:36 PM
Arnie,

Here are two photos of a Pedestal table that I built for my daughter last year. The top was 34" x 52". The pedestal base and top support were made from 5/4 oak and the leg was actually an oak table leg from a table that belonged to my grandfather in the 1930s.

Carl Eyman
05-31-2005, 4:16 PM
Ralph: How much does the table top overhang the base? I'm trying to remember the guidelines I found when I did a pedestal table, but am not sure I remember correctly. I suppose it depends in part on how heavy the base is.

Todd Burch
05-31-2005, 8:31 PM
I think a very nice design would revolve around the used of curved legs. Picture a three legged Skaker pedastal table/candle stand, only a much larger scale. I would prefer four legs for stability over 3. Although, this type of base would compromise a typical pedastal base design (it would interfere more with legs and feet than a more spindle-like base), it would also be better (better "style-wise") than your everyday, run of the mill 4 leg w/apron design.

The legs could be raised and slightly off the ground in the center of the table, as opposed to being steep and tall. For a 6½' diameter table, I would probably make the base 4' to 4½' in diameter.

If you like this idea, we could work out the design details in the Desgin Forum.