PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A New Trim Router

Ken Krawford
09-17-2013, 12:50 PM
My old Bosch Colt trim router just died this morning. Overall I was fairly happy with it and I'm considering getting another one. What's your favorite and why?

Thanks.

Jim Rimmer
09-17-2013, 1:20 PM
The DeWalt. I have a Colt and bought the DW because of the plunge base.

Grant Wilkinson
09-17-2013, 1:29 PM
I have the Colt and would buy it again. I've tried the DeWalt and the Ridgid. Both were very good.

johnny means
09-17-2013, 2:40 PM
I would buy anything but the Colt. My favorite to date is the Rigid. I wouldn't recommend it as a multipurpose router, but used solely for trim purposes its almost perfect. Tiny in the hand and the cylindrical design always locks up square (IMO the most important thing any router needs to do).

Mike Henderson
09-17-2013, 2:59 PM
I like the DeWalt.

Mike

[I have a Colt, a Ryobi and the DeWalt.]

Brent Ring
09-17-2013, 3:02 PM
DeWalt fan and owner here as well.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
09-17-2013, 5:10 PM
How come no one has mentioned Porter Cable? I have one that is at least 10 years old and it works like a champ. Granted I don't use it too often but it's a well built tool. I'm guessing after the Stanley merger that the quality that once was Porter Cable is a thing of the past. Please tell me I'm wrong.

George Bokros
09-17-2013, 6:34 PM
I have the Dewalt

Todd Hyman
09-17-2013, 8:07 PM
I have the Dewalt as well and it works great!

Bill Neely
09-17-2013, 8:34 PM
I have the Dewalt and the Colt. I like the Dewalt better and have the Colt permanently dedicated to a jig.

Bruce Wrenn
09-17-2013, 8:44 PM
What happened to the Colt? Did the magic smoke come out of the windings? If not, most everything else is fixable Here used Colts go for around $50, both on CL and in pawn shops. I paid $40 for the last one I bought. Bosch now has a plunge base for the Colt. Plunge base sells for around $100.

Dan Neuhaus
09-17-2013, 8:52 PM
I have the Ridgid and an old porter cable. Both have been good but prefer the ridgid.

Paul Wunder
09-17-2013, 8:54 PM
One vote here for the Ridgid 2401. Easy one hand control;logical placement of speed and off/on controls; solid; easy to adjust. Comes with an edge guide, an extra base (square), soft case and a lifetime warranty. $99. I got it new from HD for $49 to settle another unrelated issue, but I am very pleased with it. I think that Fine Woodworking rated it either a Top Tool or a Best Buy among small routers. Can't compare it to Bosch or DeWalt because I never tried them.

Tony Haukap
09-17-2013, 9:31 PM
Here's my small router collection...
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3377/2e91.jpgThe DeWalt is a nice size, but it's more like a mini router than in the laminate trimmer class, especially with the plunge base. The Bosch Colt seems to fit in the hand better than the others and I find gives better control for one hand operation. The two Porter-Cables are real workhorses, but I don't think are made any more. Now, you might read something into it, because I have 2 DeWalts and 2 Porter-Cables and only one Bosh Colt. But, that doesn't mean I don't like the Colt (I need another router like a hole in the head!), I also have a Dremel in a plunge router base, but that's really a hobby level tool. If something happened to the Colt I would certainly replace it with another one without hesitation.

glenn bradley
09-17-2013, 9:46 PM
If you are after a trim router the Colt is about as big as I would go. If you are after a "Palm Router" the DeWalt, it's fixed speed cousin the PC or the Colt with the plunge base would serve you well. I had been pestering Bosch for a plunge base for the Colt for years but, they always said it was not on the roadmap. When it was finally announced I picked one up. This was the base the Colt was meant to have if you are using it as a small router versus a trimming tool.

Matthew Hills
09-17-2013, 10:23 PM
How is the Makita compact router? (seemed to have better accessories than the colt)

I had a colt briefly, but returned it and got one of those old porter cable routers shown in Tony's post.

Matt

Frank Trinkle
09-18-2013, 7:24 AM
If you're looking for the best, with a TON of functional options...go Green! Best, bar none! Expensive, but you'll never have buyers remorse!
Festool MFK 700 modular Trim Router.
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/routers/mfk-700-modular-trim-router-set-574368
You can buy from any Festool dealer and return within 30-days for full refund. 3-year warranty with no hassles.

ed vitanovec
09-18-2013, 7:50 AM
I have a Bosch Colt and it is nice but I like my Dewalt 611 even better. The new Makita looks really nice, its price is $99 at the orange box.

Adam Diethrich
09-18-2013, 9:58 AM
Only one mention I think for the little Makita. Any other thoughts out there?

A.W.D.

Peter Quinn
09-18-2013, 10:08 AM
I like my Bosch colt, just a bit more than a trim router but it certainly fills that roll nicely in my shop. The rigid laminate trimmer is nice in the hand, the old PC 310 r2d2 trimmers are battle built trimmers but a bit akward for my hands and extended use, still I'd own one in a heart beat. The new PC trimmers are not great IMO, neither comfortable nor durable, and the adjustments like most PC routers appear to have been designed by cavemen.

Rodney Garson
09-18-2013, 12:55 PM
I have a Ridgid and it's great.

Mort Stevens
09-18-2013, 3:25 PM
Here's my small router collection...The two Porter-Cables are real workhorses.

Is that a small "router collection" or a "small router" collection? :) Maybe it's an optical illusion, but is the Proter-Cable really that much smaller than the Colt?

Tom Ewell
09-18-2013, 4:51 PM
....Festool MFK 700 modular Trim Router.
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/routers/mfk-700-modular-trim-router-set-574368
You can buy from any Festool dealer and return within 30-days for full refund. 3-year warranty with no hassles.

My only gripe with the MFK is the limited range of adjustment. As you say tho, it is hard to beat the features available and the accuracy of this router. Using it today to flush up some edge banding on shelving.

Colt and DeWalt laminate kits also are in the shop, I'll say the Colt is most often used when I need more range than the MFK and the DeWalt is an oldie but very solid.

The old Porter Cables that were pictured remind me of the first unit I ever did laminate with back in the early 70's, a guy showed me how-to and let me use his router, couldn't believe how nice it was, pricey too, something like $80. ;)

Tony Haukap
09-18-2013, 5:13 PM
is the Proter-Cable really that much smaller than the Colt?The Porter-Cable is not as tall, but it's has a slightly larger diameter.

Mike Nguyen
09-18-2013, 5:38 PM
I have both the Colt and Ridgid 2401 trim router and prefer the Ridgid because it has light.

Ken Krawford
09-19-2013, 7:48 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I took a look at the Dewalt yesterday while picking up my compressor from their service center. So far, it looks like the one to beat. BTW, Dewalt currently has a program that will give you 25% off when you trade in a competitive brand. I don't know if this is local or national. You must purchase directly from (in my case) a Dewalt service center.

John Huds0n
09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
What happened with your Colt? At least pull out the brushes and take a look at them (the two larger black screws near the top on each side)

The plunge base for the Colt is really well made - well worth the $89
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR011-Router-PR20EVS-Routers/dp/B009ZQUB5O/ref=pd_sim_hi_11

Jim Tabor
09-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Tony, That does not look like a "small router collection" it looks more like a "large collection of small routers" ;). Use a Ridgid myself, which I think is a great little router for under $100.

Adam Diethrich
09-20-2013, 10:21 AM
OK...

This thread is killing me. I'm having a real problem "not" ordering up a new Bosch Colt/Plunge base combo.

Thanks guys :)

A.W.D.

Jamie Buxton
09-20-2013, 10:36 AM
My current small router is the Dewalt 611. I like the compact size. I'd use it more often, but the dust collection is a poor design. The pickup adapter is this separate thing you have to bolt on to the router. When it is on, you can't get to the template guides, so you have to assemble the parts kit in a specific order. The vacuum hose sticks straight up in the air, so it is constantly trying to fall over and fall out of the socket. The whole thing gives the impression of a DIY hack after the router design was nearly complete. Considering the good design of the dust collection in the Dewalt 621, it is disappointing.

Tony Haukap
09-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Tony, That does not look like a "small router collection" it looks more like a "large collection of small routers" ;)
If I gathered all the routers I have for a 'group photo' it's not an amount if you looked at it you would go; "Well, that makes sense." :)
When I first started woodworking I had two routers, a Craftsman (still have it) and a Stanley (burned out, tossed in trash). I then took a break from woodworking and it wasn't until I decided to get back into it that I realized how handy they were and how multiple routers just makes the project that much easier that I expanded my collection. Many of them have been dedicated to a specific bit, all setup, ready to go... not only is this a time saver, but it's also adds some precision, especially to bits like roundovers and dovetails.

Dave Cav
09-20-2013, 11:38 PM
At last count I had eleven or twelve routers, all of them full or jumbo sized, many bought used, mostly Porter Cables. I needed a smaller router for a specific project and ended up with a DeWalt and really like it; I could see where a hobby guy could use it for just about all of his routing needs except for maybe lots of dados. It's a handy size and the lights are pretty cool, too. I actually went out and bought a couple of new 1/4" bits after getting it, as all of my "regular" bits are 1/2".

Frank Trinkle
09-21-2013, 6:06 AM
Here's the deal of the month! Festool 700 for $350! (Lightly used for $200 less than brand new)

http://festoolownersgroup.com/classifieds/mfk700-set/?topicseen (http://festoolownersgroup.com/classifieds/mfk700-set/?topicseen)

Kent A Bathurst
09-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Only one mention I think for the little Makita. Any other thoughts out there?

A.W.D.

I've got one. 8+ years old, IIRC.

I like it - very lightweight and compact - easy to handle. LED inside the base/housing - helps to see the targets. Used mainly for round-over of sharp edges - easily does that job with any reasonable dia bit. Also used to hog out relief for butterfly keys, grooves to inlay pewter strips, that kind of stuff.

I am not a big-time router guy though, so don't claim to be an expert. No router table, but I have made a few one-offs out of scrap when required. A trio of dependable 690's in the cabinet.

Only draw-back - the height adjustment on it [my version, at least - hopefully upgraded] basically sucks in terms of easy to get precision adjustments. That doesn't get in my way for what I do with it.

Kevin Groenke
09-21-2013, 7:28 PM
We've got both the Colt and the DW611. I like the DeWalt much better, the Colt is the better one hander but problems inherent with the twist/adjust/lock mechanism drag it down (if ours is loose enough to adjust with the screw then the clamp doesn't clamp it tight enough, the base doesn't seem perpendicular to the motor}. The DeWalt's plunge base is nice, but if you want some real precision, get yourself a MicroFence plunge base (for whichever motor you have).

http://microfence.com/plunge-base-plunge-packages-c-22_40.html

http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14940.0;attach=397 14;image

Curt Harms
09-22-2013, 9:02 AM
Hey Kevin

Where'd you get that light? Part of the MicroFence plunge base?

John A langley
09-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Kevin, that base looks like it sells for $400. I have a Colt that I have the same problem with. Not trying to start a lengthy discussion but does the base make the router that much better? What I am trying to say is, is it worth spending the money on in your opinion? Thanks.

Kevin Groenke
09-22-2013, 11:25 AM
I actually don't have a MicroFence plunge base, just found that image w/Google, my apologies for any misunderstanding. The light is part of the MicroFence system, but I've seen similar lights elsewhere, try the bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexible-Magnetic-LED-Torch-w-metal-storage-case-base-L-E-D-light-battery-/190908116515?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item2c7302ae23

Yes, the MicroFence base is crazy expensive. I have handled it and it is silky smooth and rock solid, the DW611 plunge base (which is quite nice) feels sloppy in comparison (I haven't handled the Colt plunge base so cannot compare).