PDA

View Full Version : How tall is your bench?

Tony Wilkins
09-17-2013, 12:47 PM
So, the question above -How tall is your bench?

Plus on more - How do you find it works for you?

Lonnie Gallaher
09-17-2013, 1:03 PM
My bench is 38 inches tall. It is way too tall for me for hand planing, but just right for working in the vise. I built it before I had any desire to do fine woodworking. It is attached to the wall so it would be far too much work to shorten. My next bench will start out at 34 inches, with the ability to shorten. I am 5-9 tall.

Jim Ritter
09-17-2013, 1:13 PM
Mine is 33" tall and I'm 5' 9". I built it for hand tool work and am happy with it. I have separate vises that I bolt to the bench if I need to raise the work up for more detailed/delicate work.
Jim

Edward Mitton
09-17-2013, 1:26 PM
My main woodworking bench is 34" but I also have a built in wall bench that is 2' x 10' x 38" high. I also have a small work platform that clamps into my woodworking bench vise that I can vary the height depending on the task. It is very good for things like using a fret saw or soldering electronics parts while seated at the bench. I plan at a later date to build a 'bench-on-bench' complete with its own clamping vise.

Daniel Rode
09-17-2013, 1:43 PM
I'm 6' 3" and my bench is 38". Standing with my arms at my side, the bench sits about 1" higher than my wrists.

Mel Fulks
09-17-2013, 1:59 PM
Top thickness and overall bench height ,I have the answer!. Put my top on a automobile lift ,so I can adjust height as needed. Top is 22 inches thick,so for some jobs I have to stand in grease pit. Oh,well.

Don Dorn
09-17-2013, 3:14 PM
5'11" and at 36" tall. Seems right for me.

Jim Matthews
09-17-2013, 3:26 PM
5' 6" 33 inch high bench.

It's roughly 2 inches lower than my belly button.
That's also the center of gravity about which a Uke is thrown in Judo.

I can raise things higher on my bench as needed.
I can't lower a lofty bench for comfort.

9 days on a 38" high bench at the New Legacy school had my tennis elbow flaring -
I think that a bench mainly used for hand planing should allow your arms to flex and extend without contortions.

I can't do that on a taller bench, unless I'm standing on a box.

YMMV

glenn bradley
09-17-2013, 3:26 PM
"How tall is your bench?"

That doesn't really matter. "How tall should your bench be" is the question ;-) I'm shrinking as I get older. I'm about 5'11" now and my 36" bench has worked very well for me. If I build another it will be a workbench only (minimal to no storage) and I would like some adjustable range. If I was required to have a fixed height I would prefer taller to shorter since most of my work is more comfortable without stooping. Lower good for bulk planing and scraping but, higher is good for detail chisel, saw and assembly work.

steven c newman
09-17-2013, 4:41 PM
The new bench is about 34" tall. I'm 5'11" , 220 pounds, and can't run. Great, a fullback with a wood bench......

Chris Griggs
09-17-2013, 4:46 PM
I'm 6'2 with long arms. My bench is about 34". I'm planing a new one right now that I'm thinking will be about 36", maybe even a hair taller.

Jim Koepke
09-17-2013, 6:05 PM
My bench is 34" my height is 5'11".

It seems a little low at times. It isn't very difficult to elevate the work as needed:

This is cutting half blind dovetails on a small piece.

jtk

Andrew Bell
09-17-2013, 7:33 PM
I'm just under 6'4 and my bench I built two months ago is 38", i built it tall so I could cut it down when I found a height that worked well for me, I've left it as I find it a very comfortable height for the handwork I have been doing.

Lloyd Robins
09-17-2013, 9:55 PM
Mine is adjustable, but it is usually set at 37" which is about wrist height. I am 6'3" tall and shrinking. (Height wise anyway.)

Lloyd Robins
09-17-2013, 9:57 PM
My bench is 34" my height is 5'11".

It seems a little low at times. It isn't very difficult to elevate the work as needed:

This is cutting half blind dovetails on a small piece.

jtk

Jim, a Moxon vise would probably help for bigger pieces. If you build your own they aren't that expensive. Just a thought.

Glen Johnson
09-17-2013, 10:09 PM
I am 6'3" and my bench is 36". I have a 7 inch high moxon that raises work more when needed.

Judson Green
09-17-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm 6'3" and my bench is 34". When I was first using it it seemed too low and was getting a bit of back pain and I was planning to do something to raise it up a bit. I decided to just use it for a while longer and for whatever reason the back pain has subsided. I feel that the height is right for more bull like tasks but for delicate tasks its a little low. Am planning sometime to make a moxen type vise or maybe another smaller taller bench.

Should mention too that I like sitting to do somethings.

Hilton Ralphs
09-17-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm planing a new one right now that I'm thinking will be about 36", maybe even a hair taller. if you carry on like this your bench will actually be shorter :)

Leo Graywacz
09-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Guess I got the lowest bench. Mine is 29". Originally designed to be the same height as some foldable saw horses that I use so I could use the horses as extensions.

I made them from 2x4s for the legs and stretchers and 3/4 plywood. I made them 2x8', I made them so they could be pushed together to make a 4x8 or a 2x16 for various purposes.

Yes, it is low, but it does work for me. 5' 9"

http://www.fototime.com/40F7A195E6569C9/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E3559AEDB82F248/orig.jpg

Kees Heiden
09-18-2013, 3:48 AM
34" bench and I am about 6'2". It works allright, just not perfect for fidly stuff. I am planing to make a Moxon vise, but haven't get round to it yet.

Jim Koepke
09-18-2013, 3:57 AM
Jim, a Moxon vise would probably help for bigger pieces. If you build your own they aren't that expensive. Just a thought.

My plans are to build a Moxon vise. Actually already have some wood for it. Just haven't gotten the round tuit.

On jobs like my most recent project the idea passed through my mind of pausing the project to build a vise, but then the Jorgesson clamp came into view.

jtk

Jim Matthews
09-18-2013, 7:04 AM
Two of those, connected with a board on each "jaw" - the newfangled floppy Koepke-xon vise!

I made my first version with pipe clamps, just to see what all the fuss was about.
Were I to do it again, I would just buy from Mario Rodriguez (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l24idkG1mU) - his version sells for the cost of my materials.

Adam Cruea
09-18-2013, 8:05 AM
I'm 5'8" and my bench is about 34".

As of right now, it's been about a year or so and I haven't wanted to rebuild it. For me it's the right height to plane easily, and the old rolling chair my wife put in the basement works well for when I need to pound out/cut some dovetails.

Leo Graywacz
09-18-2013, 8:14 AM
One of the reasons for my lower bench is I make lots of cabinets. And placing a 36" cabinet on a 36" bench makes it taller than I am. I really need a taller sanding bench. Maybe something with a fold down top and wheels to save space.

Zach Dillinger
09-18-2013, 8:18 AM
I am 6'5'' and I use a 34" bench. I tend to sit down for most joinery work and other 'fiddly' stuff.

Dave Anderson NH
09-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I was 5'9" and am now rapidly approaching 5'8". We won't talk about girth folks.

My bench is 29.5" tall. My previous bench which is now converted into an assembly table is even lower. I arrived at my most comfortable bench height by progressively shortening the height on the old bench. 24 years ago it was 34" tall and over the years as I moved more heavily toward hand tool use it got lower 1" at a time until its final height was 30.5". The evolution was one of both my work habits and the appropriate bench to perform them.

Prashun Patel
09-18-2013, 11:14 AM
I would make your bench a little taller than you think it should be. You can always cut the legs down; it's tricker to extend them.

I tend to follow the pinky rule. However, that results in a bench that's good for planing but feels to me a little low for most other operations.

For me, I'd prefer a higher bench that is better suited for precision chiseling.

You have to make your own judgment on what feels right. I will tell you that over time, a suboptimal bench height can cause chronic pain.

Curt Putnam
09-18-2013, 1:08 PM
I currently have a Sjoberg's entry level bench which is 34". The only time it feels right is when I'm reaching across a 24" panel with a plane. Don't know what the optimal height is but I suspect that 36" would be closer. I have a 37" bench that I use for nuts & bolts type work and that feels OK. I used to be just under 6'4" and now I'm just under 6'2" - probably due to girth expansion and arthropathy.

Pat Barry
09-18-2013, 1:20 PM
I hear folks saying that you can cut a bench down if need be but that sounds pretty difficult given benches are heavy and the cutting position would be sub optimal unless you flip the bench on its side. I would think adding extensions to the legs would be much easier to do if needed. You could use a jack or prybar to lift the bench and slip in some spacers pretty easy. just my 2c

Jamie Bacon
09-18-2013, 1:58 PM
I'm 5'8" in shoes. My bench is 31.5" tall. I do all hand work and it's great for planing. Obviously a little low for dovetailing, but overall I really like the low bench.

Adam Cruea
09-19-2013, 8:56 AM
I hear folks saying that you can cut a bench down if need be but that sounds pretty difficult given benches are heavy and the cutting position would be sub optimal unless you flip the bench on its side. I would think adding extensions to the legs would be much easier to do if needed. You could use a jack or prybar to lift the bench and slip in some spacers pretty easy. just my 2c

Keep in mind, though, that the bench will not be stable for planing after doing something like that. It could very easily slip off the spacers.

That's what I take as "more difficult", at least.

Robert Hazelwood
09-19-2013, 9:05 AM
What do you guys think about building a low bench suited for planing (for me, about 32")...and using a stool to lower you down for the detail chisel work? I think you'd still have issues with horizontal paring in the vise, and sawing operations like dovetails, etc...I wouldn't really want to do those sitting down. A Moxon vise would be the solution there, I think.

Hilton Ralphs
09-19-2013, 9:12 AM
Get the Mox On baby!

Zach Dillinger
09-19-2013, 10:00 AM
What do you guys think about building a low bench suited for planing (for me, about 32")...and using a stool to lower you down for the detail chisel work? I think you'd still have issues with horizontal paring in the vise, and sawing operations like dovetails, etc...I wouldn't really want to do those sitting down. A Moxon vise would be the solution there, I think.

I just sit down on my sawbench when doing something that requires me to be closer to the work.

Bill White
09-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Standing, and with my palms flat on the bench, I'm at 34.5 inches (the bench top-not me :))
Just right for bench top work. That was the ergonomics answer I was given long ago when I built my bench.

Bill

Pat Barry
09-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Keep in mind, though, that the bench will not be stable for planing after doing something like that. It could very easily slip off the spacers.

That's what I take as "more difficult", at least.
I was thinking to attach the spacer - ie: glue, nails, whatever, not just sitting ON them. You could even get fancy with them if you wanted. For me its more about substance though

Jim Koepke
09-19-2013, 1:03 PM
What do you guys think about building a low bench suited for planing (for me, about 32")...and using a stool to lower you down for the detail chisel work?

If you have actually worked at this level and know it will not cause back pain, then it is likely the best height for you. Finding ways to do the other tasks will not be that big of a challenge.

A stool, bench on bench and a Moxon vise will make great solutions for most of the other work.

Get the Mox On baby!

It takes some Moxie to say something like that!

(Then I noticed you are in Johannesburg and they may have never had Moxie, the soda pop not the bold attitude. Heck, people under 50 may have never heard of either.)

I just sit down on my sawbench when doing something that requires me to be closer to the work.

Same here, even saw while sitting at times.

The answer to this also is worth stating:

It could very easily slip off the spacers.

If the spacers had a shallow mortise for the leg to fit into they would not slip off. Another way would be to drill the legs before hand to have 1" dowel holes so the feet could have dowels to hold them in place.

jtk

Rich Enders
09-19-2013, 11:03 PM

I built my work bench 15 years ago at 34.5 inches. I have no idea why I picked that height. It is now in a new setting, and sits just below the MM combo height of 36 inches. I recently added the cabinets along the window wall, and the base cabinets top out 35.5 inches. The useful part of this is that both the bench and the base cabinets are a bit below the combo, but close enough to help support long work pieces and plywood sheets. The bench at 34.5 inches seems good, but I am only lucky enough to get into the shop for an hour or so at a time, and could probably tolerate most any height for that short time.

Jim Koepke
09-21-2013, 1:02 PM
This one is sure to make scissor jacks scarce:

http://www.jack-bench.com/

Looks like it takes a bit more wood to pull this off, but for an adjustable height bench it looks like fun.

There are videos.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
09-21-2013, 2:02 PM
My bench is essentially 33" high, at least at the right front corner. A previous homeowner poured a slab over the existing garage floor that is 4" thick in the middle and about 1/2" thick at the perimeter, so I have spacers (shims) under three feet of my sled-footed bench. I placed a piece of folded 80-grit SP under all four feet and between shims and the floor. So far so good...

Eric Brown
09-22-2013, 5:38 PM
Just went down and measured. My bench is currently at 33". However, my bench adjusts from 29" to 45" thanks to Adjust-a-Bench legs. See here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?102856-WorkBench-by-Eric-Brown-Comments-welcome&highlight= I sometimes raise or lower depending on what I am doing. I even tilt the bench sometimes. Whatever feels right. Recently I lowered the bench all the way and used it as a saw bench. Raised it higher for dovetailing. Because it is on wheels, I built the top section of my tool cabinet on the bench, raised it to the lower box level, rolled it over, and slid it straight across. (I don't have helpers in the shop and do everything myself.) I suggest finding someone who is similar in height and try theirs on for size.

Joe A Faulkner
09-22-2013, 7:46 PM
Are you a table saw user and will your bench potentially be placed near the saw? If so, if your bench is higher than your saw, it could be in the way of ripping long boards/sheet goods. Fortunately for me, my table saw is at 34" and this is the height I plan to make my bench which is a comfortable bench height for me. I currently use the outfeed table on my saw as a bench and that height works well. I'm 5' 9"